• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

+P Ammo

Dr.Coy

imported post

I have a 24/7 Pro 9mm, full size. I have not fired +P ammo. I figure if I am in the situation where I am forced to use my self defense rounds, that my Federal HydraShocks will do the job.

The manual says the same thing for mine, I just figure I wont use it. There are other types of ammo that will do the job for different needs. But good luck on your search! Try to google it I guess.

OBXMIKE

imported post

I wouldn't use it.......if the manual says "can be dangerous", I wouldn't want to prove they were right!

Metal_Monkey

imported post

Personally my Ruger can take +P rounds with no problems, but if you are looking for a great round that goes 2,000 FPS+ with the same knock down power and no more harm to your firearm thanyour basic rounds, I say check these out. They are what I use. They are called RBCD (RBCD.net). They made my hydroshocks look like paintballs. They way these ones are desighned they will expand and frag immensly when they hit warm flesh (around 90-100 degrees). I am in no way saying use these to harm someone, just that they are a great self defence round. Worth looking into. We used a few on none living targets and they definetly do more than I ever thought was possible for only being 115 grain. Great thing is even with the punch these have they dont really expand and pretty much stop in a few sheets of sheetrock. They do not richochey either. Just food for thought. I have use hydroshocks, gold-dots, rangers(black tallons), golden sabers, a few glazer blues, and would never use those again.

http://rbcd.net/

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Metal_Monkey wrote:
Personally my Ruger can take +P rounds with no problems, but if you are looking for a great round that goes 2,000 FPS+ with the same knock down power and no more harm to your firearm thanyour basic rounds, I say check these out. They are what I use. They are called RBCD (RBCD.net). They made my hydroshocks look like paintballs. They way these ones are desighned they will expand and frag immensly when they hit warm flesh (around 90-100 degrees). I am in no way saying use these to harm someone, just that they are a great self defence round. Worth looking into. We used a few on none living targets and they definetly do more than I ever thought was possible for only being 115 grain. Great thing is even with the punch these have they dont really expand and pretty much stop in a few sheets of sheetrock. They do not richochey either. Just food for thought. I have use hydroshocks, gold-dots, rangers(black tallons), golden sabers, a few glazer blues, and would never use those again.

http://rbcd.net/
HOLY SNARKY!! I was not aware of RBCD previously. Impressive numbers. I'm definitely going to have to look into that ammo and do more research. I would like to find some independent testing of it even of the "backyard ballistics" type.

Metal_Monkey

imported post

Bandit wrote:
http://www.theboxotruth.com did a review of some RBCD ammo. They concluded that it wasn't very impressive. The review is http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot38.htm

Those test's are pretty much useless. Water jugs are not living tissue. Check this review out. Live testing(sorry miss piggy).

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=875

There is a picture of a guy somewhere(google it, I can't tell) that got hit in the head with one of these bullets. If you find it, its almost proof itself.

FightingGlock19

imported post

cmartin7864 wrote:
I bought some +P ammo for my Taurus P145. The manual doesn't say not to use it but says it can be dangerous. Does anyone have any experience with firing this type of ammo from a Taurus?
Call Taurus & ask to speak with somebody about it. I had the same question when I had my Ruger P85 & P89. It didn't say anywhere in the manual about it, so I called and spoke with somebodyat the factory in regards to the issue.

Metal_Monkey

imported post

catass wrote:
cmartin7864 wrote:
I bought some +P ammo for my Taurus P145. The manual doesn't say not to use it but says it can be dangerous. Does anyone have any experience with firing this type of ammo from a Taurus?
Call Taurus & ask to speak with somebody about it. I had the same question when I had my Ruger P85 & P89. It didn't say anywhere in the manual about it, so I called and spoke with somebodyat the factory in regards to the issue.
I asked(Ruger)about my Ruger P90and +P handloads....I got laughed at. He said I could shoot a "fence post" our of it if it would fit...:celebrate I beleive him, cause I have done it lol seriously though, taurus makes a nice gun, but I would not run +P ammo in one. A few models are ok, but some ...bad idea. I was gonna get a 454 raging bull...and it cant handle a base load... In the old ladies Smith and Wesson revolver manual (used for all revolvers) says only + P rounds that can be used are in the 38 special, but that is what they say....I don't recommend doing it, but personally I would do it in any S&W. I beleive though, instead of getting "+P" rounds....get "real" ammo. +P realisticlly is not that great. For most applications it is useless. Hell +P hollowpoints for my ladies 640 s&w (i got her .38 specials) are cheaper than none +P. + P from what I have seen really only helps when you got like a 357 or 44 mag with a 6+ inch barrel. Just my opinion though.

scoobydoo6906

imported post

+p ammo is sami spec, which means it can be fired in any pistol rated in that caliber. its more like a max load kinda thing. now +p+ thats a little differant. I only shoot +p every once and a while, it not good for your gun to do it often. +p+ some gun are ok some are not. ask around at differnt forums

IanB

imported post

Looking at the two clay blocks it's apparent the rbcd rounds are dumping all their energy immediately upon contact. This caused the massive trauma to the clay. This in my opinion is not good for a SD round, you want PENETRATION to reach the vitals in the body coupled with proper round expansion. These rounds are no better than Glaser safety slugs... which are worthless for self defense (Glaser's dump all energy in the first 4 inches of tissue). Glasers would act the same way if fired into a clay block like on that page. I know someone on here (or many) will disagree with my assesment, and that's your right. I only pray you never have to use these rounds in a SD scenario.

Edited to add: Also note the rbcd round is 90 grains compared to 230 for the hydrashock. This information only solidifies what I wrote earlier. Lighter 45acp rounds = faster speed but sacrifices penetration (inertia from mass). The lightest round anyone should be using in 45acp for SD is 160 grain (again, just my opinion). And I personally wouldn't use anything lighter than 180 grains. In fact, I carry 185 grain corbon DPX.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/dpx_022305/

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/corbon/dpx.htm

Edit #2: the rbcd webpage only confirms what I wrote:
http://rbcd.net/Personal%20Defense%20Ammo.htm

"[font="Times New Roman, Times"]Designed for Controlled limited penetration"
[/font][font="Times New Roman, Times"]"Designed for maximum energy transfer"[/font] (aka dumping all energy immediately upon contact)

These rounds are junk.

Darth AkSarBen

imported post

I have the big Taurus catalog and in the back pages they state that their pistols are designed to shoot SAAMI standard and +P if the pressure is 23,000 PSI (for my .45) or less in the ammunition. I wrote to Con-Bon asking about their 185gr +P DXP I have and they wrote back stating that they are members of SAAMI and that the round is loaded to 23,000 PSI per +P specs.

Remington makes a Golden Saber in 185gr +P and standard as well. I have shot the +P and they are remarkably accurate.

spurrit

imported post

Metal_Monkey wrote:
There is a picture of a guy somewhere(google it, I can't tell) that got hit in the head with one of these bullets. If you find it, its almost proof itself.
Yeah, I bet any other bullet going through his skull wouldn't have killed him.