Thread: +P Ammo

Post imported post

I bought some +P ammo for my Taurus P145. The manual doesn't say not to use it but says it can be dangerous. Does anyone have any experience with firing this type of ammo from a Taurus?

Post imported post

I have a 24/7 Pro 9mm, full size. I have not fired +P ammo. I figure if I am in the situation where I am forced to use my self defense rounds, that my Federal HydraShocks will do the job.

The manual says the same thing for mine, I just figure I wont use it. There are other types of ammo that will do the job for different needs. But good luck on your search! Try to google it I guess.

Post imported post

I wouldn't use it.......if the manual says "can be dangerous", I wouldn't want to prove they were right!

Post imported post

Metal_Monkey wrote:
    Personally my Ruger can take +P rounds with no problems, but if you are looking for a great round that goes 2,000 FPS+ with the same knock down power and no more harm to your firearm thanyour basic rounds, I say check these out. They are what I use. They are called RBCD (RBCD.net). They made my hydroshocks look like paintballs. They way these ones are desighned they will expand and frag immensly when they hit warm flesh (around 90-100 degrees). I am in no way saying use these to harm someone, just that they are a great self defence round. Worth looking into. We used a few on none living targets and they definetly do more than I ever thought was possible for only being 115 grain. Great thing is even with the punch these have they dont really expand and pretty much stop in a few sheets of sheetrock. They do not richochey either. Just food for thought. I have use hydroshocks, gold-dots, rangers(black tallons), golden sabers, a few glazer blues, and would never use those again.

http://rbcd.net/
    HOLY SNARKY!! I was not aware of RBCD previously. Impressive numbers. I'm definitely going to have to look into that ammo and do more research. I would like to find some independent testing of it even of the "backyard ballistics" type.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Post imported post

www.theboxotruth.com did a review of some RBCD ammo. They concluded that it wasn't very impressive. The review is http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot38.htm

Post imported post

cmartin7864 wrote:
    I bought some +P ammo for my Taurus P145. The manual doesn't say not to use it but says it can be dangerous. Does anyone have any experience with firing this type of ammo from a Taurus?
    Call Taurus & ask to speak with somebody about it. I had the same question when I had my Ruger P85 & P89. It didn't say anywhere in the manual about it, so I called and spoke with somebodyat the factory in regards to the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

+p ammo is sami spec, which means it can be fired in any pistol rated in that caliber. its more like a max load kinda thing. now +p+ thats a little differant. I only shoot +p every once and a while, it not good for your gun to do it often. +p+ some gun are ok some are not. ask around at differnt forums

Post imported post

Looking at the two clay blocks it's apparent the rbcd rounds are dumping all their energy immediately upon contact. This caused the massive trauma to the clay. This in my opinion is not good for a SD round, you want PENETRATION to reach the vitals in the body coupled with proper round expansion. These rounds are no better than Glaser safety slugs... which are worthless for self defense (Glaser's dump all energy in the first 4 inches of tissue). Glasers would act the same way if fired into a clay block like on that page. I know someone on here (or many) will disagree with my assesment, and that's your right. I only pray you never have to use these rounds in a SD scenario.

Edited to add: Also note the rbcd round is 90 grains compared to 230 for the hydrashock. This information only solidifies what I wrote earlier. Lighter 45acp rounds = faster speed but sacrifices penetration (inertia from mass). The lightest round anyone should be using in 45acp for SD is 160 grain (again, just my opinion). And I personally wouldn't use anything lighter than 180 grains. In fact, I carry 185 grain corbon DPX.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/dpx_022305/

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/corbon/dpx.htm

Edit #2: the rbcd webpage only confirms what I wrote:
    http://rbcd.net/Personal%20Defense%20Ammo.htm

"Designed for Controlled limited penetration"
    "Designed for maximum energy transfer" (aka dumping all energy immediately upon contact)

These rounds are junk.

Post imported post

I have the big Taurus catalog and in the back pages they state that their pistols are designed to shoot SAAMI standard and +P if the pressure is 23,000 PSI (for my .45) or less in the ammunition. I wrote to Con-Bon asking about their 185gr +P DXP I have and they wrote back stating that they are members of SAAMI and that the round is loaded to 23,000 PSI per +P specs.

Remington makes a Golden Saber in 185gr +P and standard as well. I have shot the +P and they are remarkably accurate.

Post imported post

Metal_Monkey wrote:

There is a picture of a guy somewhere(google it, I can't tell) that got hit in the head with one of these bullets. If you find it, its almost proof itself.

Yeah, I bet any other bullet going through his skull wouldn't have killed him.