Thread: How late can you shoot?

Post imported post

Just wondering how late is it legal to shoot?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

There is no state law proscribing "shooting hours." Depending how close you are to a city, noise ordinances may come into play.

Post imported post

It is kind of fun to shoot after dark, especially with a revolver. Wow you have to see the flash from a .357 Magnum after dark to believe it.

If you can't shoot after dark......How do you stop the bad guys when they break into your house???????

Tarzan

Activist Member

Post imported post

In Washoe County :

County Code 50.162 Nighttime shooting and spotlight hunting prohibited.

Except as otherwise authorized by law, it is unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm of any kind between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise or shine a spotlight between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise for the purpose of hunting a wild animal in the unincorporated areas of the county.

Localities can regulate the discharge of firearms. That is the one thing they are still permitted to do per state law.

Post imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
    It is kind of fun to shoot after dark, especially with a revolver. Wow you have to see the flash from a .357 Magnum after dark to believe it.

If you can't shoot after dark......How do you stop the bad guys when they break into your house???????

Tarzan
    Of course you can shoot a bad guy after dark, all the discharge rules go away in self defense scenario, otherwise it would be illegal to shoot in your home - period.

I'm looking forward to seeing the flash from an AK-47 after dark! We were shooting Satuday evening near Sloan and as it was getting dark the muzzle flashes became apparent but not nearly as bright as they would have been in the dark Even though is wasn't really dark you could still see the sparks flying off of the 7.62 soft point rounds when they struck anything. We would have stayed later, but I started to get worried that it might be illegal. Thanks for the info.

Shane.

Post imported post

During the new member orientation at the Boulder City gun range, they said it's ok to do night shoots at the range, so long as we give the rangemaster plenty of advance notice. That way he can inform BC Police, since someone in town WILL report "shots fired." If we don't give advance notice, BCPD will be calling him at home and waking him up.

And about the flash from a revolver, my NAA .22 mini-revolver puts out a pretty good sized fireball. I can't even imagine how huge a .357 would be.

I'd love to take my buddy's .44magnum lever gun out at night. Occasionally we can see the fireball it throws during daylight. I saw one blast that went almost 2' past the muzzle. We call that gun "3-shot." That's the most we've been able to shoot before we had to put it down and rub our shoulders.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
    In Washoe County :

County Code 50.162 Nighttime shooting and spotlight hunting prohibited.

Except as otherwise authorized by law, it is unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm of any kind between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise or shine a spotlight between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise for the purpose of hunting a wild animal in the unincorporated areas of the county.

Localities can regulate the discharge of firearms. That is the one thing they are still permitted to do per state law.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

There's the important part, Comp-tech. Felid is correct in his understanding, the way I read it. A comma between "sunrise" and "for" would make all the difference.

Post imported post

icode wrote:
    tarzan1888 wrote:

Tarzan
    Of course you can shoot a bad guy after dark, all the discharge rules go away in self defense scenario, otherwise it would be illegal to shoot in your home - period.

I'm looking forward to seeing the flash from an AK-47 after dark! We were shooting Satuday evening near Sloan and as it was getting dark the muzzle flashes became apparent but not nearly as bright as they would have been in the dark Even though is wasn't really dark you could still see the sparks flying off of the 7.62 soft point rounds when they struck anything. We would have stayed later, but I started to get worried that it might be illegal. Thanks for the info.

Shane.
    That was a Joke.

Tarzan

Post imported post

I've seen bright flashes from pretty much every caliber, and some loads for each that have had virtually no flash. However I can't think of any .357 load that hasn't put out a pretty good fireball, even quite obvious on a dark cloudy day. I love .357, and if I could find a good hollow point round with low flash I'd probably use it even more. Any recommendations?

Fortunately the combat league I shoot in requires a lot of low light and no light shooting, so it's a good chance to test how much flash particular loads have.

Way back in the day, we had a night shoot in the army where the tracers set the dry grass on fire, lighting up the whole range. It became a pretty easy shoot from there on out.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

It's much more of an issue shooting out of shorter barrels. If you're hand loading, you can use a fast burning powder and slightly under-charge it for shorter barrels.

In commercial loads, the best thing to do is probably just try them.

Muzzle flash is normally because all the powder hasn't burned before the bullet left the barrel. If you can reduce your load until you're getting max velocity without a lot of unburned powder, you'll cut the muzzle flash down without sacrificing performance.

Buffalo Bore Ammunition makes some reduced flash 357 and 38 special loads, but I haven't used them.

Post imported post

Shotgun wrote:
    I've seen bright flashes from pretty much every caliber, and some loads for each that have had virtually no flash. However I can't think of any .357 load that hasn't put out a pretty good fireball, even quite obvious on a dark cloudy day. I love .357, and if I could find a good hollow point round with low flash I'd probably use it even more. Any recommendations?

Fortunately the combat league I shoot in requires a lot of low light and no light shooting, so it's a good chance to test how much flash particular loads have.

Way back in the day, we had a night shoot in the army where the tracers set the dry grass on fire, lighting up the whole range. It became a pretty easy shoot from there on out.

If you like the flash from a .357 try a 44Mag or a S&W 500:celebrate.

TJ

Post imported post

So what is the concensus gentlemen? Is it okay to shoot after dark in Clark County?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

You can read the Clark County Code yourself online. If there's no law against it, then it's legal.

Post imported post

thanks bob...