• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How late can you shoot?

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There is no state law proscribing "shooting hours." Depending how close you are to a city, noise ordinances may come into play.

tarzan1888

imported post

It is kind of fun to shoot after dark, especially with a revolver. Wow you have to see the flash from a .357 Magnum after dark to believe it.

If you can't shoot after dark......How do you stop the bad guys when they break into your house???????

Tarzan

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

In Washoe County :

[align=left]
County Code 50.162 Nighttime shooting and spotlight hunting prohibited.

[/align]

[align=left]Except as otherwise authorized by law, it is unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm of any kind between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise or shine a spotlight between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise for the purpose of hunting a wild animal in the unincorporated areas of the county. [/align]

Localities can regulate the discharge of firearms. That is the one thing they are still permitted to do per state law.

icode

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
It is kind of fun to shoot after dark, especially with a revolver. Wow you have to see the flash from a .357 Magnum after dark to believe it.

If you can't shoot after dark......How do you stop the bad guys when they break into your house???????

Tarzan

Of course you can shoot a bad guy after dark, all the discharge rules go away in self defense scenario, otherwise it would be illegal to shoot in your home - period.

I'm looking forward to seeing the flash from an AK-47 after dark! We were shooting Satuday evening near Sloan and as it was getting dark the muzzle flashes became apparent but not nearly as bright as they would have been in the dark :DEven though is wasn't really dark you could still see the sparks flying off of the 7.62 soft point rounds when they struck anything. We would have stayed later, but I started to get worried that it might be illegal. Thanks for the info.

Shane.

AnakinsKid

imported post

During the new member orientation at the Boulder City gun range, they said it's ok to do night shoots at the range, so long as we give the rangemaster plenty of advance notice. That way he can inform BC Police, since someone in town WILL report "shots fired." If we don't give advance notice, BCPD will be calling him at home and waking him up.

And about the flash from a revolver, my NAA .22 mini-revolver puts out a pretty good sized fireball. I can't even imagine how huge a .357 would be.

I'd love to take my buddy's .44magnum lever gun out at night. Occasionally we can see the fireball it throws during daylight. I saw one blast that went almost 2' past the muzzle. We call that gun "3-shot." That's the most we've been able to shoot before we had to put it down and rub our shoulders.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
In Washoe County :

[align=left]
County Code 50.162 Nighttime shooting and spotlight hunting prohibited.
[/align]
[align=left]
Except as otherwise authorized by law, it is unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm of any kind between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise or shine a spotlight between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise for the purpose of hunting a wild animal in the unincorporated areas of the county.
[/align]

Localities can regulate the discharge of firearms. That is the one thing they are still permitted to do per state law.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Except as otherwise authorized by law, it is unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm of any kind between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise or shine a spotlight between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise for the purpose of hunting a wild animal in the unincorporated areas of the county.
There's the important part, Comp-tech. Felid is correct in his understanding, the way I read it. A comma between "sunrise" and "for" would make all the difference.

tarzan1888

imported post

icode wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:

Tarzan

Of course you can shoot a bad guy after dark, all the discharge rules go away in self defense scenario, otherwise it would be illegal to shoot in your home - period.

I'm looking forward to seeing the flash from an AK-47 after dark! We were shooting Satuday evening near Sloan and as it was getting dark the muzzle flashes became apparent but not nearly as bright as they would have been in the dark :DEven though is wasn't really dark you could still see the sparks flying off of the 7.62 soft point rounds when they struck anything. We would have stayed later, but I started to get worried that it might be illegal. Thanks for the info.

Shane.

That was a Joke. :banghead:

Tarzan

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I've seen bright flashes from pretty much every caliber, and some loads for each that have had virtually no flash. However I can't think of any .357 load that hasn't put out a pretty good fireball, even quite obvious on a dark cloudy day. I love .357, and if I could find a good hollow point round with low flash I'd probably use it even more. Any recommendations?

Fortunately the combat league I shoot in requires a lot of low light and no light shooting, so it's a good chance to test how much flash particular loads have.

Way back in the day, we had a night shoot in the army where the tracers set the dry grass on fire, lighting up the whole range. It became a pretty easy shoot from there on out.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It's much more of an issue shooting out of shorter barrels. If you're hand loading, you can use a fast burning powder and slightly under-charge it for shorter barrels.

In commercial loads, the best thing to do is probably just try them.

Muzzle flash is normally because all the powder hasn't burned before the bullet left the barrel. If you can reduce your load until you're getting max velocity without a lot of unburned powder, you'll cut the muzzle flash down without sacrificing performance.

Buffalo Bore Ammunition makes some reduced flash 357 and 38 special loads, but I haven't used them.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
I've seen bright flashes from pretty much every caliber, and some loads for each that have had virtually no flash. However I can't think of any .357 load that hasn't put out a pretty good fireball, even quite obvious on a dark cloudy day. I love .357, and if I could find a good hollow point round with low flash I'd probably use it even more. Any recommendations?

Fortunately the combat league I shoot in requires a lot of low light and no light shooting, so it's a good chance to test how much flash particular loads have.

Way back in the day, we had a night shoot in the army where the tracers set the dry grass on fire, lighting up the whole range. It became a pretty easy shoot from there on out.

If you like the flash from a .357 try a 44Mag or a S&W 500:celebrate.

TJ