• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Topic on AM1170 (San Diego), 7/24

joe4702

imported post

Hi folks,

A friend of mine is guest-hosting the Rick Amato conservative talk show on San Diego’s AM1170 this Thursday (7/24) from 9PM to 11PM. I showed her the recent thread about the open carry lunch at El Indio and she thought it was cool and wants to make OC a topic on the show.

She’s a Libertarian and pro-gun/pro-carry (open and concealed). She would like for Calguns/OpenCarry folks to call in to talk about OC - what, why, where, the laws, your personal experiences or anything else related you’d like to discuss.

Barring any guest or schedule changes (I’ll keep this thread updated), she’ll open the topic for discussion sometime in the first hour of the show (9-10PM) and will keep it going as long as there are callers who want to talk about it. The call-in number for the show is 888-344-1170.

You can also listen live on line (click the “Listen Live” button at the top left):
http://kcbq.townhall.com/

If you have any additional questions, PM me, post up here or you can contact the host Gayle Falkenthal directly at info@falconvalleygroup.com.

Feel free to post this info or reference this thread on any other gun forums you feel appropriate. The more folks that know about it, the more likely there will be enough callers to make the topic a success. Note that 1170 is a small station and the audience for the Rick Amato show is probably pretty small, but this is yet another avenue to educate the public and promote OC.

Thanks,
Joe

PS. This is also posted on calguns.net.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=111919

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Only thing I didn't like is when she said "you'd have to be an idiot to do that" when talking about carrying into an airport. I think it would be risky to do in some states, but I don't see any reason airports should be off limits. Obviously, they wouldn't let you past the security checkpoint... but what if I'm just waiting in the main lobby to pick up grandma when her flight comes in?

Nothing idiotic about being armed anywhere, IMO... except maybe in prison... yeah, that's the only exception I can think of.

Decoligny

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Also, good job on the call in Decoligny. However, maybe next time maybe plug OpenCarry.org.

Luckily she plugged OpenCarry.org near the end of the segment.

As the lunch was put on by CalGuns.net I refered to my association with them.

I was a little nervous as I am not used to speaking to an audience of 100,000.

Hopefully this will help educate more people that we are just average people who want to be able to defend ourselves and exercise our rights without interferance from anyone.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
Also, good job on the call in Decoligny. However, maybe next time maybe plug OpenCarry.org.

Luckily she plugged OpenCarry.org near the end of the segment.

As the lunch was put on by CalGuns.net I refered to my association with them.

I was a little nervous as I am not used to speaking to an audience of 100,000.

Hopefully this will help educate more people that we are just average people who want to be able to defend ourselves and exercise our rights without interferance from anyone.
On my last job I was interviewed several times for live radio and TV as the "spekesman" for the company. I remember my first time was the Mark Cohen Computer Show. . . I was so nervous!

You will get used to it the more you do it. The one thing I have found is the more you know, the less you F-up. So just make sure you know your stuff.

Decoligny

imported post

Gayle Falkenfall (sp): So without further ado, I do want to tell you about a really extraordinary incident that I learned about that took place here in San Diego last weekend, fairly quietly. And that’s part of the point; it did take place very quietly, without any fanfare, without any incident. They had about 40 people show up for lunch at El Indio, great choice, it always get points from me, enjoyed their Mexican food, enjoyed conversation, fine meal, each other’s company, and the vast majority of them also were openly carrying a firearm. Yeah, as in a gun! Yeah, they were openly carrying a gun! They were openly carrying a gun legally! No they weren’t cops, they were just average citizens, and I say that with the utmost respect, that they were average citizens. They were average law abiding citizens. Now I have never heard of anything like this, I’ve never seen anything like this, I was not there. I have seen some photographs of this, and you can too, if you go to the website CALGUNS.NET there are some photos posted. Were you there? Have you ever heard of anything like this? Do you know anyone who was? I would love to hear from you if you were there, at 888-344-1170. That’s an extraordinary thing, and the bottom line was these folks wanted to express their right to carry firearms in the State of California. Now, here in California, if you are allowed to legally own a firearm, and there is no other restriction on you otherwise to simply have one, you can legally open carry it. Now there are restrictions about carrying it, and you can’t do it everywhere, and you can’t do it loaded, it can’t be loaded. But having a license to carry a concealed weapon isn’t required to do this. Now I am not an expert, so I am going to speak in very general terms. If you are an expert, call in and join this conversation. But the bottom line, speaking very generally is that the firearm has to be unloaded, you can’t be a criminal, or a felon convicted of some nefarious act. You can’t otherwise be someone prohibited from carrying a firearm. And you can’t carry it with criminal intent; that is your carrying it because you’re planning to commit a crime. You can’t do that. And you can’t be someplace like within a 1000 feet of a school, you can’t go into an airport like this, you have to be a real moron to do that, anyway. Okay, so you get the idea. You’re allowed to do this in the State of California, and not even a lot of law enforcement officer realize that until they are educated about it. So, here were these folks that decided to exercise this right. El Indio welcomed them. I congratulate El Indio for welcoming them to their establishment to enjoy lunch together, and exercise this freedom. The police were notified in advance. San Diego PD was there, plenty on hand, both marked and unmarked units. And from what I am reading on this CALGUNS site they ended up mainly keeping some sort of crazy members of the public away from these law abiding citizens who were sort of concerned about what they saw. But a lot of other people either didn’t notice at all, didn’t bother them, or gave them a thumbs up, or kind of looked sideways at them, and that was the extent of it. Now as this tied up quite a few of our officers at taxpayer expense and I hope they didn’t have anything more important to do, but I think congratulations to this group that put this together. I applaud this wonderful expression of citizen advocacy. I mean, that is citizen advocacy at its very best. My hat’s off to the folks who did it. My hat’s off to the Tuscera (sp) Family for hosting at El Indio. I will patronize El Indio, although with their great food I didn’t really need another excuse, but I’ll be there. You know, with this simple little lunch gathering, the participants were exceptional ambassadors for the Second Amendment and their rights. And judging by the apparent success of the event, which meant that it went off without incident, you know it’s very possible it’s going to be repeated, not just here in San Diego, but in communities all over the state. And so, I’d love to talk to you about this, and were going to start tonight with Roger. Roger, welcome to KCBQ, how’s it going tonight?

Roger: Oh, it’s going great!

Gayle: Hey were you there Roger, do you know anybody that was?

Roger: Well, I’m a member on Calguns.Net, so I have met many of the people who were there although I wasn’t able to make it down to the lunch myself.

Gayle: What did you hear about it? You’re an insider, you know these folks, you know them personally. What was their feedback on how it went? Seem like it was incredibly successful.

Roger: Yes, it was incredibly successful. From what I heard it went off with very little notice from anybody outside of those who were open carrying. A couple of comments from a few people who didn’t quite approve of it, one person called one of the individuals (open carrier) an idiot, but, you know, that’s them just exercising their First Amendment rights.

Gayle: Now I understand that the folks were very well prepared and that they had some flyers to hand out, some brochures that explain exactly why this is legal, under what restriction it is legal, the definition of what open carry is in the State of California. Sounds like a great idea.

Roger: You’re talking about the “California Open Carry, No License Required” pamphlet?

Gayle: Right, exactly.

Roger: Yes, I’m the one who put that together.

Gayle: Congratulations, very well written and very well done. And it sounded like you actually also did some education there, not you, buy your colleagues, of some of the law enforcement officers there. Do you find that that’s often a problem?

Roger: That is, one of the major issues is trying to educate the law enforcement community as far as what is actually legal. Well, the majority, I won’t say the majority, but some of the police officers, they see somebody with a gun and their first thought is “Criminal, treat them like a criminal” and that has been an issue in several instances.

Gayle: Do you think if more of these events are staged, and more education takes place, that you’ll have people calm down, if you will, and realize that this is legal, and where could this lead?

Roger: Well, it hopefully will lead to widespread acceptance of the fact that law abiding citizens have the right to carry a firearm to defend themselves against the criminals. When you call 9-1-1, it’s going to take them, oh, three, five, maybe six minutes to get there, if they show up. When you are face-to-face with a criminal, it’s a whole lot easier, if your life is in danger, to defend yourself, as opposed to waiting those minutes hoping that the police might get there in time.

Gayle: Roger, would you have participated if you were available, and would you participate in the future?

Roger: Yes, I will participate in the future. If I had not had other commitments at the time, I would have been there myself.

Gayle: Roger thanks for your input and calling in tonight on KCBQ, appreciate the call.

Roger: And thank you for having this subject.

Gayle: You’re welcome. This is fascinating to me. This is grassroots activism at its finest. No fuss. No mess. No problems. And maybe that is part of the problem. Have you heard anybody talk about it, besides me in this town? No. It went off without incident, but we need more people to know about it, and maybe next time it will get a little more attention. Well discuss where it goes from here. Well take a break now, you’re listening to AM 1170 intelligent talk KCBQ.

BREAK

Gayle: Welcome back to the Rick Amato Show on Thursday evening. I’m Gayle Falkenfall sitting in for Rick tonight. It’s my pleasure to be with you. We’re talking about a little party that took place. A nice little lunch party over the weekend, in which people enjoyed good company, good food, and enjoyed the right to carry their firearms, as is legally permitted in the State of California under our open carry laws. They raised a few eyebrows, but not too many, and they didn’t have any incidents at all. It went off just fine. They had a great time and educated a few people along the way. There may be one or two folks who got hot under the collar over it. Spoke to the police and we did have to have our police officers there to keep an eye on things, but it all went off without incident. And you didn’t hear a thing about it, did you, unless you heard me talking about it here tonight. Because it didn’t cause a stir, everything went just fine. This should be allowed, this is allowed, this is permitted in the State of California. Not a lot of people exercise the right to do it, because they are a little concerned about the reaction they are going to get from people who aren’t knowledgeable. What do you think about that? 888-344-1170. I’m all for it. I think it’s a great idea. Our Sheriff, in this county, Bill Collender, who is responsible for issuing Concealed Carry permits makes it all but impossible to get those permits, so being responsible for issuing them is a bit of a stretch of the language, to say the least. So, what else are you supposed to do? You need to exercise your rights as they exist. And they stayed within the law. They know the law. They are very careful to educate themselves, and not cause a problem. So, they had their event without incident. Vince, you’re on the line, welcome to KCBQ. Vince, how you doing tonight?

Vince: I’m doing just fine. How about yourself?

Gayle: I’m doing great. What are your thoughts on this little event, and perhaps any future events.

Vince: Well, I love it. Coincidentally with this event, something happened in Tacoma Washington over the weekend where a fellow was trying to rob a bunch of patrons in this upscale restaurant, and it turns out that one of the patrons had been at a gun range that day and had his pistol in his pocket. He took it out and arrested the guy, or kicked him out of the restaurant and followed him out with the gun into the waiting arms of the police.

Gayle: Don’t ya just love it when that happens?

Vince: Yeah!

Gayle: God Bless America! And you know, you think about some of these incidents that we have had in this country over the last few years, some of these absolutely horrible shootings, on college campuses for example, well known to be bastions of liberal thought, and probably horrified before these shootings took place, if they thought there were weapons on the campus. Well folks, there are weapons on your campus. Who would you rather have carry them? Really.

Vince: Absolutely, people who are there and defending themselves, security guards, anybody that can defend their right to be there.

Gayle: Isn’t it amazing though, that now there are discussions about “Well, you know, maybe we ought to let people bring guns onto campus”. Well, no kidding. What could have been prevented, what tragedy could have been prevented, if there was somebody armed, educated, knew what they were doing… I don’t advocate you carry a firearm unless you absolutely know what you are doing, and you’re trained properly, you know the law, you practice, you take responsibility for it. Just as those of us who drive a car need to be responsible about its operation, not get behind the wheel drunk, and know the law. It’s no different, absolutely no different.

Vince: Philosophically speaking, there was a time when we didn’t have to worry about that in this country, when the precepts of thou shalt not kill were predominant in society, you didn’t have to worry about someone walking into a school and shoot the place up.

Gayle: It would be nice to live in that world again, but we don’t live in that world.

Vince: I know.

Gayle: We live in the world of today.

Vince: It’s true. And we have to take proper measures to protect ourselves. So the Second Amendment does come into big play there. Just another anecdote, I know with you being a libertarian you’re probably very much in tune with the devaluation of the dollar.

Gayle: I am.

Vince: I found something pretty cute on the internet. You know that the 1964 coins were made out of silver and everything thereafter was made of junk, right.

Gayle: Right.

Vince: A 1964 dime would have bought you, let’s say, a single scoop ice cream cone. Today, the same ten cent piece from 1964, the content, the silver content in it is worth about $1.30, which should buy you a single scoop ice cream cone.

Gayle: (Laughing) That’s a good statistic.

Vince: The same thing goes for a quarter. A quarter bought you a pack of smokes back then, and the content in a quarter is about $3.52 which would probably buy you a pack of cigarettes today.

Gayle: Are you sure? Boy, there’s a heck of a lot of taxes on a pack of cigarettes Vince, I don’t know about that.

Vince: Everywhere around the country except California, I would imagine.

Gayle: Well, that’s true, everybody is buying them at the tribal properties to get away with not paying taxes on them. So have you got a lot of those silver quarters and dimes stored away that you take to Baskin and Robbins, it that what you are trying to tell me?

Vince: No, no, try to convince them of that, right.

Gayle: Yeah, exactly. Try to convince the 17 year old clerk at the counter at Baskin and Robbins “Yeah, this is the equivalent of you handing that Ice cream over,” “Hand that Ice cream over and nobody will be hurt.” Right.

Vince: Yeah, sure. You’re doing a great job.

Gayle: Vince, Nive talking to you thank you for calling. You know if you want to know more about this, way beyond what I can tell you tonight in a half hour or so of discussion, in introducing this event and these thoughts to you, there’s some excellent websites out there I’d like to refer you to. You’ve heard a couple of the us tonight talk about Calguns, CALGUNS.NET, tremendous general resource, there’s some forums there, very knowlegable people weigh in, they tangle with each other, it’s a lot of fun, on a whole variety of issues, including this talk show and whether we should have been talking about this tonight and whether we had the intelligence to talk about this tonight. Well I think we did just fine thank you very much. And specifically for the issue of open carry, there is, of course a website for that too, it’s OpenCarry.org. There are pictures on Calguns of the party, and you look at it and you know, it’s pretty amazing , they all look pretty normal. They all look pretty average. You wouldn’t think twice about passing any of them by on the street. Except that they had that little piece of leather hanging on their belt. You know as I was looking at them, you know, I was thinking, you know that is really fantastic. I applaud them for doing that. Then I thought about myself, and would I do that? But the problem is, wearing something on your belt when you’re a woman, especially not a real big woman, and I’m not, I don’t even like wearing a phone or a blackberry, it drives me nuts. So, I’ll have to figure out some other way around that. And I don’t think I’m a shoulder holster type. Brian, I don’t see it.

Brian: I don’t see that on you.

Gayle: Nah, you know, I’m gonna have to find another way. And there’s got to be a way. There’s got to be a clever woman to design the right way to carry a firearm, so I can participate in Open Carry, cause you know, it’s just not going to sit on my jeans. It’s just not going to work. I can’t even handle the phone in it’s strap there, it’s not gonna go. But, do monitor the websites if you’re interested, you can learn more there, and there is a lot of talk about making these a regular event, maybe a monthly event, thinking some other areas in the State of California, and you would be able to participate. I want to acknowledge El Indio Restaurant…………………..