Thread: Extreme Shock Ammo

Post imported post

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/

Just wondering if anyone has used this ammo?

Post imported post

Haven't used it, but those guys on the main page look pretty serious :shock:

Post imported post

Nope, but that S&W 40 looks MEAN !

]

Post imported post

They are serious. There was a ruckus at the Orange Julius stand on Level 1 and they aren't screwing around. :celebrate

Seriously though, here's the Box o' Truth's testing of the ammo:
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I've tried it, and for it to be so expensive, it functions no differently from FMJ ammo. There is absolutely no expansion; there are plenty of JHP bullets (or JHPs for that matter) that make better personal defense ammo than Extreme Shock rounds.

Post imported post

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Any cites for the ballistics on .44mag frangible? Sounds like that may be the best bet for home defense. I know someone who currently relies on a .44mag with lead hollowpoints for home defense in a fairly populated area. I've been trying to find out if there's some better ammo he can use so that his bullet doesn't end up going through several houses. But at the same time, I never thought frangable would actually stop anyone.

Post imported post

So what I am getting so far is that it is not worth the money and I should just stick with my +p .45acp.........

Post imported post

IMO, yeah, stick with more conventional ammo.

I am going to switch to Federal LE Tactical HST +P for my primary carry round (they also make a standard pressure round that loses little in ballistics). You can buy a box of 50 online for about the cost of 10 Fangface. The Fangface on paper has a little more energy due to velocity (543 ft lbs vs 461 ft lbs 5" barrel) but I'm really not worried about the difference as the HST typically is measured at around .84" expansion. I would expect it to be quite devastating to a BG.

If you want slightly more penetration with .80-.83" (depending on the source) of expansion in a +P round over 1000 fps, but in 185 grain, I like the CorBon DPX. It is pricey, but still just a little more than 1/2 the cost of Fangface. It is an excellent penetrator through barriers while maintaining mass and expansion as it is an all copper bullet and therefore can't separate (which also explains the price). I keep a mag of it loaded at all times.

The above are my preferred rounds as they expand well and more importantly consistently. The HST and DPX bullets also maintain at/near 100% of their mass after hitting the target. I'm not a ballistics guru and only know what I read as I have not done any independent ballistics tests.

Edit: Made a few changes after looking at some more recent testing.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Can't go wrong with HydraShok when not at the range.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Pointman wrote:
    The best home-defense option is a 12-gauge 3" shotgun with 00 shot or heavier, which has been discussed at length on OpenCarry. It has enough power to stop an attacker, yet doesn't go through walls (mostly).
    Well, only 4 interior walls: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

Hey, that's my thread. :P

Post imported post

Post imported post

Pointman wrote:
    The best home-defense option is a 12-gauge 3" shotgun with 00 shot or heavier
    Well that is certainly going to be an AOW, have a ginormous kick to it and a horribly wide spread. But it would be easy to manipulate around corners when clearing the house. :P

Post imported post

There are many people in the world, (especially in the U.S.) that think that if they spend a significantly larger amount of money on something than is normal to spend on the same item from someone else, that they somehow gain an "edge." The only way to gain an edge in defensive firearm loads are to put whatever bullet you choose to employ in a vital area of the body of your aggressor.

Also, make sure that 150-200 rounds of whatever ammo you choose to make your "carry load" has gone through your carry gun and carry mags without a hiccup. I can afford to do that a lot easier w/50rd boxes @ $22 each, than spending $12.95 for 6 rounds. Ouch.

Post imported post

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

No 3 inch, but you can get a Super Shorty with a 6.5 inch barrel!

Talk about kick!:shock:

Post imported post

Nuh-uh. It takes 3" shells:

http://mainemilitary.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=157&idproduct=1291

The SUPER-SHORTY is based on a Mossberg Maverick (also available on Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 at additional cost) 12-gauge shotgun which came from the factory with a pistol grip. Because of this, the SUPER-SHORTY is considered an AOW (Any Other Weapon) and can be transferred with a $5 stamp! The gun holds two 2-3/4" or 3" shells in the magazine, plus one in the chamber. The 16.5" overall length, 6.5" barrel and spring-locked foregrip, which pivots out of the way when not in use, make for a very compact package. As far as we know, this is the shortest 12-gauge pump shotgun available. All parts for the SUPER-SHORTY are made by Serbu using theirown CNC machinery and materials ideally suited to the task. All welds are done by the TIG process, and the manganese phosphate finish is MIL-spec.

---
    Note: I did say 3" shotgun originally instead of a shotgun that takes 3" shells. My bad.

Banned

Post imported post

that site has got be a joke. with those clowns wide eyed on the front page with AGENT on their vests. laughing right now

Banned

Post imported post

The World's Premier Anti-Terrorist Rounds!
    It's a new war, and our nations best warriors now carry the world's most devastating ammunition! As we entrust the de-fense of our freedom in our finest professionals, they now carry an advantage beyond their own heroism! Over ten years in co-development with Special Operations Groups and Federal Law Enforcement, the new ExtremeShockâ„¢ Explosive Entry tactical defense rounds represent the ultimate refinement in lethal bullet technology. The compressed Tungsten-NyTriliumâ„¢ Composite fragments upon impact, leaving a wound channel of catastrophic proportions. The expansive fragmentation characteristics of the ExtremeShock rounds transfer the bullets energy in a far faster time span than conventional hollowpoints. The resulting stopping power is utterly devastating. E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.

Post imported post

Hey, it turns into rotational cones of matrix particles so it must be good!

Post imported post

Extreme Shock only works if you are an AGENT. For us lowly people we have to stick to 'conventional' ammunition like gold dots or hydrashocks.

If you wish to become an AGENT you may apply at your local mall!

If you instead wish to be a NINJA and not an AGENT you may want to look into this: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...ammo5bcopy.jpg

(does anyone else think "Explosive Entry" sounds like some sort of terrible disease symptom?)