• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry experience at Cabela's

terrafirma

imported post

What can I say? it was quite uneventful!

Rolled into the parking lot of Cabela's in E. Hartford, CT around 4:45pm. Rode (on a motorcycle) past the front doors that have a posting proclaiming that guns must be checked at the front door however individuals with a concealed/carry pistol permit were not included in those who must check their guns. I took the "/" between the concealed/carry to mean one was not limited to concealed carry. Anyway.

I tucked my button-up dress shirt into my pants which had been loosely concealing my holster/weapon (G19) during my commute to Cabela's. I was wearing corduroy pants with formal brown leather shoes.

Walked into the store and passed close by where the greeters usually stand. I did this to avoid a situation later should the management deem my interpretation of their carry posting inappropriate/unlawful (even though it most certainly isnt unlawful).

Went on my way upstairs to the firearms section to look for a heavy duty leather belt for my holster. I didn't find what I was looking for but took the opportunity to peruse the curio/relic gun display and later the new/used firearm display. I then looked at the reloading equipment.

Walked out of the store approximately 30-40 minutes after I arrived. No one said anything to me during my time in the store. Although I wasn't looking over my shoulder frequently, no one appeared to be staring or even gave a second glance No announcements were made over the intercom system for an outfitter/management to report to any sections of the store I was in.

I got out of the experience what I wanted; gained comfort in openly carrying in an establishment that seems to value firearms enthusiasts. I only recently obtained the CT pistol permit and even more recently started reading all I could about open carry laws in CT and New England. After I left the store, I untucked my shirt and loosely concealed my holster/weapon for the rest of my commute home (through E. Hartford and Manchester).
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=r...PSk4miHgBpfvlInfg&sig2=Z98gkUBXb6NIdJrx5vNQWg

MGoduto

imported post

terrafirma wrote:
What can I say? it was quite uneventful!

Rolled into the parking lot of Cabela's in E. Hartford, CT around 4:45pm. Rode (on a motorcycle) past the front doors that have a posting proclaiming that guns must be checked at the front door however individuals with a concealed/carry pistol permit were not included in those who must check their guns. I took the "/" between the concealed/carry to mean one was not limited to concealed carry. Anyway.

I tucked my button-up dress shirt into my pants which had been loosely concealing my holster/weapon (G19) during my commute to Cabela's. I was wearing corduroy pants with formal brown leather shoes.

Walked into the store and passed close by where the greeters usually stand. I did this to avoid a situation later should the management deem my interpretation of their carry posting inappropriate/unlawful (even though it most certainly isnt unlawful).

Went on my way upstairs to the firearms section to look for a heavy duty leather belt for my holster. I didn't find what I was looking for but took the opportunity to peruse the curio/relic gun display and later the new/used firearm display. I then looked at the reloading equipment.

Walked out of the store approximately 30-40 minutes after I arrived. No one said anything to me during my time in the store. Although I wasn't looking over my shoulder frequently, no one appeared to be staring or even gave a second glance No announcements were made over the intercom system for an outfitter/management to report to any sections of the store I was in.

I got out of the experience what I wanted; gained comfort in openly carrying in an establishment that seems to value firearms enthusiasts. I only recently obtained the CT pistol permit and even more recently started reading all I could about open carry laws in CT and New England. After I left the store, I untucked my shirt and loosely concealed my holster/weapon for the rest of my commute home (through E. Hartford and Manchester).
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=r...PSk4miHgBpfvlInfg&sig2=Z98gkUBXb6NIdJrx5vNQWg
I've only been to Cabela's once, about a week after it opened (still wall-to-wall people) and I admit that I CC'd while I was there. I'm glad that you had a non-reaction; I've had similar experiences in Target, Shaws, Stop & Shop, and in restaurants getting take-out food. Maybe there's hope for this state. Now all we have to do is get rid of Dodd and Lieberman!

mg

LKB3rd

imported post

Haha, we all sat and talked about it for 6 pages, and you just went out and did it! Good work, and I am glad it was uneventful.
In my experience open carrying in other states, I found the same thing you did. Most people don't even notice, and the ones who do don't seems to care. I am not sure if it is because they saw me minding my own business acting like a normal, responsible person, or if they assumed I was a cop. Whatever the reason, it was good with me.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Good for you! :celebrate

Although if we're being realistic, this is a CT open carry test case in the making. So who's next? I'm too young to OC. I don't think I'll get quite the same uneventful reception that you older guys do. :lol:

Deuce1911

imported post

i agree with stylez about the youth issue. although i live in maine i actually lived in CT for about 14 yrs and recently moved back to ME. ive only been OCing, which is legal here, since the begining of the year. I am 25 and i feel that i am sometimes targeted cuz of my age. iv had two incidents so far and i definatly feel that me being young played a large role. maybe some just look at a young guy legally OCing as just some punk kid tryin to get some sort of shock value. it most definatly is not my intention! i have a wonderfull and absolutly beautifull reason to carry, my GF. i carry thinking about protecting her more than myself. At anyrate you pro gunners in Ct have a tuff fight and i applaude all of you in your endeavors to educate people. A good book to read if you can get it, was jsut written by Wayne LaPierre who is the Executive Vice President of the NRA. His book is titled "The Essential Second Amendment Guide." it is excellent reading so far and is greatly boosting my confidence. This book may do the same if not just add to your growing wealth of knowledge. Good Luck!

buketdude

imported post

went to Cabela's saturday and was in there for about 45 min....i did not open carry because of the clothes i was wearing but my friend open carried the whole time...no issues at all..