• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idaho-Can I carry partly concealed with CCW?

pv74

imported post

I like to carry my 1911 in an IWB holster. Can I just tuck my shirt in and leave the back half of the gun exposed?

I have an Idaho CCW permit.

Remember durring my CCW classI was told that "printing" is against the law. How could that be when OC is legal everywhere in this state. Of course, the deputy sherrif who taught the class may be full of it...police are not lawyers.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I'm not from Idaho, but I carried my gun in Idaho once.

I believe the Sheriff doesn't know what he is talking about.

I would think anything from fully exposed to totally concealed would be a-okay with a permit.

GreenDrake

imported post

You're good to go in Idaho. Concealed with a permit or OC, just fine. It would be considered OC in that case, but still is not an issue.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Open carry is legal. Concealed carry [with a permit] is legal. There is no law that states it has to be one or the other... but if you can see it, isn't it OC anyway? :p There is no law against printing. There is no law about switching from CC to OC or the other way around. If you have a permit, carry however the heck you want. Just do so in a responsible manner, and all should be good!

kurtmax_0

imported post

You are good in Idaho. Be careful in other states. Some states consider that any portion of the firearm concealed is being carried concealed. In that case I guess you would have to use a clip or something instead of a holster (basically the law forces you to carry in a less safe way).

Leader

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
You are good in Idaho. Be careful in other states. Some states consider that any portion of the firearm concealed is being carried concealed. In that case I guess you would have to use a clip or something instead of a holster (basically the law forces you to carry in a less safe way).

Could you tell us the name of one or two of these states? It would REALLY be nice if you could link the law for us too.

I have never heard of a state where this is the law.

HungSquirrel

imported post

To clarify, I think he's referring to Mississippi, where the law states that if a gun is concealed in part, one is required to have a pistol permit. As a holster conceals the pistol "in part", unlicensed OC is more or less illegal in MS. However, I imagine one of those clip dealies would be within the law, provided the whole of the pistol were outside the waistband...an unsturdy carry method indeed.

http://opencarry.org/ms.html

However, Miss. Code §§ 97-37-1 & § 45-9-101 operate together to ban carriage of a handgun "concealed in whole or in part" unless the carrier is inside a motor vehicle or possesses a License to Carry a Concealed Pistol or Revolver. As the Mississippi courts have said that a handgun in a holster is concealed in part, a License to Carry a Concealed Pistol or Revolver is required to openly carry a handgun in a holster in Mississippi.