• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrier arrested in Santa Monica

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ridiculous. It's about time one of these events resulted in a civil case against the offending P.D. Maybe then we'll start seeing more "internal memos." :X

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

cato wrote:
It will be another false arrest DA reject. :cuss:
No doubt.

The most idiotic part of his story is how the SM police responded when the other manager at TJs called them and said everything was okay and they didn't want the police anymore. On one hand I can see why they would need to respond, such as in a hostage situation where a guy forces the manager to call back up the police and wave them off.

But on the other hand, there had only been one call to the police and it wasn't for a hostage situation, it was for there being "a man walking around with a gun in my store." Not exactly overtly threatening sounding, "He's WALKING AROUND! Oh my lord, he's putting things in his basket!!! Saaaave meeeee!"

Unless the manager that reported this poor guy has some unrational fear of firearms I can't imagine him having sounded too concerned on the phone. He probably was mildly concerned that the OCer might be mentally disturbed or something. And how does SM police respond? With some ridiculous amount of officers who later say that the only reason this guy is still alive is because his hands were full? Total BS.

Cops that say stuff like that are NOT acting in the best interest of society, they're trying to engrain this idea that if you do anything that isn't inline with the rest of the sheeple out there, then you might just get shot. I guess that's a possibility anytime weapons are pointed at you, but if a police officer actually thinks that he or she might have shot somebody for having a gun strapped into a holster, then that cop should seriously rethink their job choice.

There are far more dangerous things out there than an unloaded handgun, strapped into a holster, pointing at the ground with nobody touching it.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
cato wrote:
It will be another false arrest DA reject. :cuss:
No doubt.

The most idiotic part of his story is how the SM police responded when the other manager at TJs called them and said everything was okay and they didn't want the police anymore. On one hand I can see why they would need to respond, such as in a hostage situation where a guy forces the manager to call back up the police and wave them off.

But on the other hand, there had only been one call to the police and it wasn't for a hostage situation, it was for there being "a man walking around with a gun in my store." Not exactly overtly threatening sounding, "He's WALKING AROUND! Oh my lord, he's putting things in his basket!!! Saaaave meeeee!"

Unless the manager that reported this poor guy has some unrational fear of firearms I can't imagine him having sounded too concerned on the phone. He probably was mildly concerned that the OCer might be mentally disturbed or something. And how does SM police respond? With some ridiculous amount of officers who later say that the only reason this guy is still alive is because his hands were full? Total BS.

Cops that say stuff like that are NOT acting in the best interest of society, they're trying to engrain this idea that if you do anything that isn't inline with the rest of the sheeple out there, then you might just get shot. I guess that's a possibility anytime weapons are pointed at you, but if a police officer actually thinks that he or she might have shot somebody for having a gun strapped into a holster, then that cop should seriously rethink their job choice.

There are far more dangerous things out there than an unloaded handgun, strapped into a holster, pointing at the ground with nobody touching it.

I noticed that one of the statements made is "What is a rookie cop doesn't know and just blows you away?" I say. . then my family has one hell of a settlement coming. . . don't they.

cato

imported post

It's not official, official, but I heard that too! :celebrate

Kind of anti. climatic, but still a good result. Now it's time to plan the Santa Monica 3rd Street Promenade OC dinner!!!