• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has any one ever oc'ed on a bus

DEROS72

imported post

I was wondering if any ony here has oc'ED on a bus and were there any problems...?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Yes I have and so have some others and there were no problems, although the light rail in Tacoma had some issues with an uninformed supervisor.

I've OC'd on Sound Transit, King County Metro and Community Transit.

RCW 9.91.025 protects lawfully carried guns and ammo on transit vehicles and property.

kparker

imported post

If you go to the main Washington forum page, up at the top there's a search box, and underneath that a checkbox labelled "Search in this forum only".

Some use of that using the search terms "sound transit" or just plain "transit" or "metro" or "bus" will turn up a threads on the subject.

DEROS72

imported post

Thanks for the info guys.Being fairly new to this forum still learning my way around.Being that my car was totaled by a seattle cab (rear ended at 45mph) I have had to seek other means of transport for the time being.(Cab driver barely spoke english by the way) Side note: watching Resident Evil 3,Milla Jovovich rocks.

Bear 45/70

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Thanks for the info guys.Being fairly new to this forum still learning my way around.Being that my car was totaled by a seattle cab (rear ended at 45mph) I have had to seek other means of transport for the time being.(Cab driver barely spoke english by the way) Side note: watching Resident Evil 3,Milla Jovovich rocks.
Metro in King County is totally aware of the legalities. They have known CC was OK since way back in the 80's (yeah, I had an incident and Metro backed down and acknowledged it was legal to CC on the frickin' buses). IIRC, not to long ago Metro acknowledged that OC was legal too.

Krinkovliu

imported post

I ride the Metro every day to and from work. I never have OC'ed on the bus, and was curious why their sign that shows all the rules (no eating. no boom boxes) never mentioned a prohibition against firearms. What other posters have said is consistant with this observation.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Krinkovliu wrote:
I ride the Metro every day to and from work. I never have OC'ed on the bus, and was curious why their sign that shows all the rules (no eating. no boom boxes) never mentioned a prohibition against firearms. What other posters have said is consistant with this observation.
Because they had firearms no allowed on it, were challenged and changed the signs to get in line with state law.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Krinkovliu wrote:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.91.025

RCW 9.91.025Unlawful bus conduct.
(1) A person is guilty of unlawful bus conduct if while on or in a municipal transit vehicle as defined by RCW 46.04.355 or in or at a municipal transit station and with knowledge that the conduct is prohibited, he or she:

(a) Except while in or at a municipal transit station, smokes or carries a lighted or smoldering pipe, cigar, or cigarette;

(b) Discards litter other than in designated receptacles;

(c) Plays any radio, recorder, or other sound-producing equipment except that nothing herein prohibits the use of the equipment when connected to earphones that limit the sound to individual listeners or the use of a communication device by an employee of the owner or operator of the municipal transit vehicle or municipal transit station;

(d) Spits or expectorates;

(e) Carries any flammable liquid, explosive, acid, or other article or material likely to cause harm to others except that nothing herein prevents a person from carrying a cigarette, cigar, or pipe lighter or carrying a firearm or ammunition in a way that is not otherwise prohibited by law; (my emphasis)

(f) Intentionally obstructs or impedes the flow of municipal transit vehicles or passenger traffic, hinders or prevents access to municipal transit vehicles or stations, or otherwise unlawfully interferes with the provision or use of public transportation services;

(g) Intentionally disturbs others by engaging in loud, raucous, unruly, harmful, or harassing behavior; or

(h) Destroys, defaces, or otherwise damages property of a municipality as defined in RCW 35.58.272 or a regional transit authority authorized by chapter 81.112 RCW employed in the provision or use of public transportation services.

(2) For the purposes of this section, "municipal transit station" means all facilities, structures, lands, interest in lands, air rights over lands, and rights-of-way of all kinds that are owned, leased, held, or used by a municipality as defined in RCW 35.58.272, or a regional transit authority authorized by chapter 81.112 RCW for the purpose of providing public transportation services, including, but not limited to, park and ride lots, transit centers and tunnels, and bus shelters.

(3) Unlawful bus conduct is a misdemeanor.

DEROS72

imported post

in a manner Not otherwise prohibited by law...tells me that it CC and OC ould be legal.

DEROS72

imported post

Thanks ,That I didn,t know.I do however have a CPL so I guess I,m OK.Excellent!

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

OC'd on the Sounder train and express busses between Tacoma & Seattle with no issue. On the bus no one would sit next to me, which in a way had its benefits.

Bear 45/70

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
OC'd on the Sounder train and express busses between Tacoma & Seattle with no issue. On the bus no one would sit next to me, which in a way had its benefits.
Maybe you had BO rather than the gun being the issue.
RoflLg.gif

DEROS72

imported post

Well I 'll be riding the bus to the dentist tomrrow for a root canal Oh boy I can,t wait!Being that a cab driver totaled my car (rear ended at 50) .I actually should have cab service for life.Got a pretty stiff neck and sore back...........Anyway I'll let ya know how it goes...

badger

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
I was wondering if any ony here has oc'ED on a bus and were there any problems...?
I have only OCed on Seattle Metro buses, but have never had any problems at all doing so. Also I printed off a copy of Seattle Municipal Code specific to the carry of firearms on buses and kept a copy of it & a Washington State OCDO pamphlet with me while riding the bus. Below is the same text I carried with me. To share with any misinformed drivers or riders should an encounter have ever occured.

Seattle Municipal Code

SMC 12A.12.040 Disorderly conduct on buses.

5. Carries any flammable or combustible liquid, explosive, acid, or other article or material in a manner that is likely to cause harm to others, except that nothing herein shall prevent a person from carrying a cigarette lighter, cigar lighter, or pipe lighter, or carrying a firearm or ammunition in a way that is not otherwise prohibited by law; or

I know this info only applies to Seattle but I hope it helps. It's the only experience I have personally with OC on a bus.
-Badger

badger

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Seattle copied that from RCW 9.91.025
You're correct SV and sorry for not giving you credit for posting the RCW before me. I was just sharing what I had done personally.

Also... I just got back to Kirkland today after a long Greyhound bus ride from North Dakota. I didn't carry to North Dakota as my Washington CPL isn't recognized there. But a question popped into my head while riding home. "Can you carry CC or OC on a Greyhound bus?" I haven't checked their website yet but I read all the regulations printed on the back of my ticket, it didn't have a single mention of firearms. There were plenty of other No-No's listed such as: Alcohol, Drugs, etc. I checked all the signage posted inside the bus and nothing at all refered to firearms. Anyone here know about Greyhound's firearms policy?

-Badger

Gene Beasley

imported post

badger wrote:
Anyone here know about Greyhound's firearms policy?

-Badger
From their web page:
On Board Restrictions
For everyone's safety and comfort, Greyhound asks that customers please follow certain restrictions while on board. Federal law does not permit smoking on Greyhound buses. We have a zero tolerance for alcohol, drugs, weapons and unruly behavior.
-and-
Prohibited Items for Checked Baggage
Acids, ammunition, animals, combustible liquids, compressed gases, corpses, cremated remains, explosives, firearms of all types, fireworks, ...