Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: new to the forum...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    Hello all,

    Found this site from ar15.com thought i would join so i know the ins and outs..

    I will ask many questions being a newby..

    Is there a new to the forum area?Looking forlegal stuff for washington.. RCW and such?

    I currently CC but im alwasy concerned about people seeing my hoster or the handgrip when i bend over to tie a shoe or somthing. What happens if some one calls the cops on me if they accidentally catch a glimps of the gun?

    thanks all sorry for the dumb ass questions.. I promise many more to come



  2. #2
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Welcome aboard!

    If someone sees your weapon and calls the cops it can range from real easy to time to call a lawyer. Depends on how the call was recieved, what the caller said, etc...

    Common sense rules if an officer approaches you. Keep your hands visible and don't make any sudden moves. Be calm and polite. Since you are concealing they will want to see your CPL and mebbe ID. Perhaps they will walk away when they see you have a CPL, perhaps they will pat you down, etc... it all depends on a lot of mitigating factors.

    Folks on this board have had officers simply say "Hi" over OCing, or have been detained, searched, cuffed, had weapons drawn on them (in at least one case ALL of those unhappy things happened) or some combination thereof.

    I wouldn't worry too much. If people calling over printing or seeing the butt of a handgun was common we would hear about it. It seems more common over seeing the whole stupid weapon...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pullman/Moscow, Washington, USA
    Posts
    74

    Post imported post

    nothing...WA is an OC state. RCW 9.41.270;

    (1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

    That's the general guidline- are you a warrant for public alarm? If you look like a cop magnet you'll probably get screwed with. A guy in a polo shirt- probably not...

    A great bit of light reading is State vs. Cassad. Cassad is an idiot- even for a felon, but it illustrates just how protected we are by the 4th ammendment while OCing.

    Other than that look for an event in your area. PM me where you're at and I will send you anything I hear about.


  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    thanks for the info..and the welcomesI updated my account to show location..I will be checking back for event information. thank you

  5. #5
    Regular Member Gene Beasley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    426

    Post imported post

    tanman wrote:
    A great bit of light reading is State vs. Cassad. Cassad is an idiot- even for a felon, but it illustrates just how protected we are by the 4th ammendment while OCing.
    And he's also a member of the forum, though not really active. Read more here. I know a couple of people who have been dealt a lousy hand and had to takethe sh!t dealbecause the odds of winning and the penalty for loosing were too great. All this on advise from their attorney.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    Hi it's good to have you join us here on OCDO. I think you will find us to be for the most part a very good group of people.

    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41

    This link has a lot of info on it for you to read up on, You may like to save itto yourfavorites,youwill find it very informative. If you have any questions please ask, there are no dumb question, and thepeople here are very helpful.

    I try to be sometimes.


  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads

    Here are some other downloads that will help out.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    superbiker wrote:
    Hello all,

    Found this site from ar15.com thought i would join so i know the ins and outs..

    I will ask many questions being a newby..

    Is there a new to the forum area?Looking forlegal stuff for washington.. RCW and such?

    I currently CC but im alwasy concerned about people seeing my hoster or the handgrip when i bend over to tie a shoe or somthing. What happens if some one calls the cops on me if they accidentally catch a glimps of the gun?

    thanks all sorry for the dumb ass questions.. I promise many more to come

    When CCing there is no law that requires you to never allow your weapon to be seen by anyone. This iswhy OC is better than CC, bad guys CC to hide the fact they have a gun, they never OC except during the commission of a crime. When walking down the street with a holstered weapon, you sure as hell aren't committing a crime. FYI, I OC daily and have never had more than a hello or a question about my hat from a LEO.

  9. #9
    Regular Member DEROS72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SEATAC, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,819

    Post imported post

    So far I have found OC somewhat anti climactic.Went for a walk this morning and stopped at a coffee stand that a gal friend owns.While I was there two motorcycle officers stopped for coffee. My weapon was in plain view nice leather colt holster.The only thing that happenend was a discusion with these guys about abitrarily running license plates.Actually a couple of good guys even though I disagree with thier point of view.They didn,t ask about my weapon and rode off.So it seems most of the LEO'S I have encountered have no problem with it.........

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kitsap Co., Washington, USA
    Posts
    332

    Post imported post

    Yeah, I've never seen or heard of a thug with a holster. There's no sense in it. They want the gun hidden until it's "showtime" and then they certainly don't want to carry around an empty holster after they ditch their "piece".



  11. #11
    Regular Member DEROS72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SEATAC, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,819

    Post imported post

    I saw someone point out that thugs and gangbangers may get the idea also that OC is legal.But by the same token these people don,t want to draw attention to themselves as some may already have warrants and court dates.Besides a proper carry holster would notgo well with their pants that hang down to their knees.Most probably couldn,t afford one anyway.

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    DEROS72 wrote:
    I saw someone point out that thugs and gangbangers may get the idea also that OC is legal.But by the same token these people don,t want to draw attention to themselves as some may already have warrants and court dates.Besides a proper carry holster would notgo well with their pants that hang down to their knees.Most probably couldn,t afford one anyway.
    I agree

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pullman/Moscow, Washington, USA
    Posts
    74

    Post imported post

    Alwayspacking wrote:
    DEROS72 wrote:
    I saw someone point out that thugs and gangbangers may get the idea also that OC is legal.But by the same token these people don,t want to draw attention to themselves as some may already have warrants and court dates.Besides a proper carry holster would notgo well with their pants that hang down to their knees.Most probably couldn,t afford one anyway.
    I agree
    The reality is cops don't all know the law, so there's always one that will screw with anyone OCing...

    Plus you could make a pretty good argument that if someone looks like a cop magnet (banger) and is OCing they are a warrant for public alarm. This would create 'reasonable suspicion'- the test as to whether or not a carry stop is warranted. This is why I wear polo shirts and look like I am a contractor, good oldboyor belong at a country club when I'm carrying. If I'm dressed for work in a shirt and tie I just get taken for a cop anyway, so most people aren't unnerved by me OCing. The most common question I get isn't "Is that legal", its "Are you a cop" or what deptarment you work for?" Even from cops.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pullman/Moscow, Washington, USA
    Posts
    74

    Post imported post

    Gene Beasley wrote:
    tanman wrote:
    A great bit of light reading is State vs. Cassad. Cassad is an idiot- even for a felon, but it illustrates just how protected we are by the 4th ammendment while OCing.
    And he's also a member of the forum, though not really active. Read more here. I know a couple of people who have been dealt a lousy hand and had to takethe sh!t dealbecause the odds of winning and the penalty for loosing were too great. All this on advise from their attorney.
    As I understand he was a felon in possession of firearms, another felony. To be perfectly honest I don't have a lot of sympathy for him except that his rights were violated.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    tanman wrote:
    Alwayspacking wrote:
    DEROS72 wrote:
    I saw someone point out that thugs and gangbangers may get the idea also that OC is legal.But by the same token these people don,t want to draw attention to themselves as some may already have warrants and court dates.Besides a proper carry holster would notgo well with their pants that hang down to their knees.Most probably couldn,t afford one anyway.
    I agree
    The reality is cops don't all know the law, so there's always one that will screw with anyone OCing...

    Plus you could make a pretty good argument that if someone looks like a cop magnet (banger) and is OCing they are a wraant for public alarm. This would create 'reasonable suspicion'- the test as to whether or not a carry stop is warranted. This is why I wear polo shirts and look like I am a contractor, good oldboyor belong at a country club when I'm carrying. If I'm dressed for work in a shirt and tie I just get taken for a cop anyway, so most people aren't unnerved by me OCing. The most common question I get isn't "Is that legal", its "Are you a cop" or what deptarment you work for?" Even from cops.
    You are reading the statute wrong. Read the Casad case and see what the courts have to say about the "warrants alarm"part. Regardless if the cop knows the law or not, ask for his supervisor and the Sgt's supervisor if necesary until you get someone who knows the law. On top of that if they do screw with your regardless of what happens, there is always Randy Lounwho likes making stupid cops acknowledgethe law and is totally willing to sue the cop and/or their department if that is what it takes to teach them the law.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •