• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Running more.

thx997303

imported post

I have started to run more, since yo101jimmy started running with me, and we are planning on running 7 milers, (okay some walking) (okay, probably a lot of walking)

Anyway, for a longer run such as this, I would like to have my weapon with me, but don't want to OC. So how could I keep the firearm with me without having it concealed?

xRapidDavex

imported post

You don't want to OC or CC? I wonder if you stick it where the sun don't shine if that's considered concealed... :shock:

haha j/k, but I don't know what you mean. You could securely encase it, but that seems bothersome. If you have your CC permit, check out: www.smartcarry.com

thx997303

imported post

I don't have my permit. I'm only almost 20.

I guess maybe I'll have to have it securely encased. Sigh.

I don't want to OC, because it would interrupt my run and screw up my heart rate if I had to stop to talk to a LEO.

xRapidDavex

imported post

Sounds like you need a taser or pepper spray. I really don't think you'll want to run with a locked case in your hands.

thx997303

imported post

I wear a hydration pack, and if that would count as securely encased than I would be good. But I don't think it does.

xRapidDavex

imported post

You mean like a camelbak? Unless you put it in a locked case first, it would be concealed.... and even then I don't know what it means to hide a case from sight (stupid nuances).

Don't throw it in the camelbak by itself.

thx997303

imported post

The case does not need to be locked, I know that. So quit saying locked. That's federal law, and there aren't any school zones on my route. Lucky me.

Cadet Higham

imported post

As I understand the law, that would be fine.But I'mfairly certainany officer would charge you with carrying a concealed weapon... Point is, it would be an illegal search if he were to find it anyways.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

We have had this discussion before. To not be considered concealed, the weapon needs to be [Utah] unloaded, and securely encased.

[font="Arial,Helvetica"] (18) "Securely encased" means not readily accessible for immediate use, such as held in a gun rack, or in a closed case or container, whether or not locked, or in a trunk or other storage area of a motor vehicle, not including a glove box or console box.[/font]

You ever see all those guys wearing fanny packs, and think to yourself, "I bet he's packin."? Well, I bet they don't need a permit to carry in a fanny pack [or a CamelBak] as long as it is unloaded. A zipped up fanny pack, or back pack sounds like a closed container to me.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
We have had this discussion before. To not be considered concealed, the weapon needs to be [Utah] unloaded, and securely encased.

[font=Arial,Helvetica] (18) "Securely encased" means not readily accessible for immediate use, such as held in a gun rack, or in a closed case or container, whether or not locked, or in a trunk or other storage area of a motor vehicle, not including a glove box or console box.[/font]

You ever see all those guys wearing fanny packs, and think to yourself, "I bet he's packin."? Well, I bet they don't need a permit to carry in a fanny pack [or a CamelBak] as long as it is unloaded. A zipped up fanny pack, or back pack sounds like a closed container to me.
A zipped up fanny pack, or back pack sounds like a closed container to me.

Never thought of it that way SGT. But YES, by golly, a fanny pack IS by the very definition "Securely encased" for a NON-Permit holder.

BUT remember the part of 76-10-501 (15) that says

15) "Readily accessible for immediate use" means that a firearm or other dangerous weapon is carried on the person or within such close proximity and in such a manner that it can be

retrieved and used as readily as if carried on the person.:uhoh:

TJ

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Clark Aposhian sent me a text back saying that a Fanny Pack is OK as long as it's NOT on the Person as per 76-10-501 (15)

15) "Readily accessible for immediate use" means that a firearm or other dangerous weapon is carried on the person or within such close proximity and in such a manner that it can be

retrieved and used as readily as if carried on the person

TJ

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well it kinda sounds like your best option just might be OC on the cammel back, I under stand you don't want to be stopped while your running, that would suck, but I doubt it would happen every time you went out.

Just expect it to happen eventually I guess, it would just be better to have something for your defence get stoped and questioned, than to not have anything and need it.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

usSiR wrote:
Well it kinda sounds like your best option just might be OC on the cammel back, I under stand you don't want to be stopped while your running, that would suck, but I doubt it would happen every time you went out.

Just expect it to happen eventually I guess, it would just be better to have something for your defence get stoped and questioned, than to not have anything and need it.

The Camel Pack is still as if carried on the person.

He is sorry out of luck. OC....IS the only option til he gets a Permit.

TJ

xRapidDavex

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
The case does not need to be locked, I know that. So quit saying locked. That's federal law, and there aren't any school zones on my route. Lucky me.

whoa buddy, calm down... i'm trying to help. I naturally assumed you would pass a school zone on a 7 mile run. Luckily you don't. But if you stick it in a bag, then you're concealing and you can't argue your way around that.

For future reference, I would have preferred "hey, I'm not going by any schools but thanks for the concern".

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
usSiR wrote:

The Camel Pack is still as if carried on the person.

He is sorry out of luck. OC....IS the only option til he gets a Permit.

TJ
He did say open carry on the CamelBak. :p

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Clark Aposhian sent me a text back saying that a Fanny Pack is OK as long as it's NOT on the Person as per 76-10-501 (15)

15) "Readily accessible for immediate use" means that a firearm or other dangerous weapon is carried on the person or within such close proximity and in such a manner that it can be retrieved and used as readily as if carried on the person

TJ
Well, there goes my argument for unlicensed fanny pack carry. :(

Singlestack

imported post

Sarnt might be in agreeance with me on this.... and this next point is of my own comment... but dont take it with you... why... help me out sarnt " cause I can run faster scared than you can pissed! "

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
You mean that Meadow Elementary and Willowcreek Middle School are not on you running route? :?

yo101jimmy

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
thx997303 wrote:
You mean that Meadow Elementary and Willowcreek Middle School are not on you running route? :?
I see 2 schools in the route A and C
PWNED-3.jpg