• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Running more.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Unless you change your route to avoid school zones. However, running is easier without a pistol. You could carry like this...

ChestHolster.jpg

Or you could run with a rifle in your hands. ;)

thx997303

imported post

That would be ideal. I know running with a pistol is more difficult. So is running with a pack.

I would definitely rather run with a rifle. But i don't thin that police will ignore me.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
I don't have my permit. I'm only almost 20.

I guess maybe I'll have to have it securely encased. Sigh.

I don't want to OC, because it would interrupt my run and screw up my heart rate if I had to stop to talk to a LEO.
Legally, a fully zippered case INSIDE your back pack, would be legal for everything but the federal school zones as long as the gun is Utah unloaded. For the federal school zones, you'd need to lock the case someway. At this point, your accessability to the gun is so slow as to make it little more than extra weight.

With the school zones (and I'm guessing the map does NOT include licensed day care facilities in private homes) permitless OC is not an option for you either, legally.

I think as othes have suggested, your best bet is to carry something other than a firearm: batton, pepper spray, taser, etc. Then, make sure to take the CCW class and submit your permit application the first day you legally can.

You might also consider a Maine permit as others have done, though that also does not technically cover you in school zones.

Charles

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Charles, I have a question about the following statute.
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]
76-10-523. Persons exempt from weapons laws.
(1) This part and Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7, Concealed Weapon Act, do not apply to any of the following:
(a) a United States marshal;
(b) a federal official required to carry a firearm;
(c) a peace officer of this or any other jurisdiction;
(d) a law enforcement official as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711;
(e) a judge as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711;
(f) a common carrier while engaged in the regular and ordinary transport of firearms as merchandise; or
(g) a nonresident traveling in or through the state, provided that any firearm is:
(i) unloaded; and
(ii) securely encased as defined in Section 76-10-501.
(2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1)(a), (1)(b), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:
(a) pursuant to Section 53-5-704; or
(b) by another state or county. [/font]

Is 76-10-505.5 its own section, or is it a subsection of 76-10-505? If it falls under 76-10-505, wouldn't the above statute exempt a permit holder from any state from carrying in a school zone?

thx997303

imported post

Well, I would get the Maine permit, except I'm going to basic training in about three weeks, and so I would never get it in time.

And when I get back, I will be 21 so I'll get my CCP when i get back.

In the meantime I guess I gotta deal with some of these crap laws. Oh well.

thx997303

imported post

LOL, we are all interested in what you have to say SGT Jensen, just make sure you log into your account first.

:p

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

If you feel like an encounter with one of Lehi's finest, more power to you. ;)

The above blank post was me, again. :banghead: No, I am not wearing her skirt. :p

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]
(1) This part and Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7, Concealed Weapon Act, do not apply to any of the following:
(f) a common carrier while engaged in the regular and ordinary transport of firearms as merchandise; or
(g) a nonresident traveling in or through the state, provided that any firearm is:
(i) unloaded; and
(2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1)(a), (1)(b), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:

Is 76-10-505.5 its own section, or is it a subsection of 76-10-505? If it falls under 76-10-505, wouldn't the above statute exempt a permit holder from any state from carrying in a school zone?
The State of Utah recognizes any permit as valid for school zone carry.

The feds do NOT. It is federal law that gets you on out of State permits.

Now, it has never been enforced that way so far as I know. And I doubt it will be anytime soon (at least absent something like a drug or kidnapping charge) unless Obama gets to stack the SCOTUS with gun hating liberals. But it is how federal law reads, or at least how the BATF interpret and threaten to apply it.

Charles

swillden

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
[font="Arial,Helvetica"]
(i) unloaded; and

The State of Utah recognizes any permit as valid for school zone carry.

The feds do NOT. It is federal law that gets you on out of State permits.
Correction. The feds MAY not. The wording of the law is a little ambiguous. It's not clear whether the fact that Utah honors, say, a Maine permit, means that Utah has "licensed" that individual to carry in a school zone.

The prudent recommendation is to avoid carrying in a school zone with an out-of-state permit, but it's not accurate to say that it's illegal. We just don't know.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

swillden wrote:
Correction. The feds MAY not. The wording of the law is a little ambiguous. It's not clear whether the fact that Utah honors, say, a Maine permit, means that Utah has "licensed" that individual to carry in a school zone.

The prudent recommendation is to avoid carrying in a school zone with an out-of-state permit, but it's not accurate to say that it's illegal. We just don't know.
Well, Clark tells us that the BAT men interpret it to be illegal.

On the flip side, I doubt they ever prosecute without another major offense. No reason to risk the court overturning the law again.

swillden

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
swillden wrote:
Well, Clark tells us that the BAT men interpret it to be illegal.
They also interpret a malfunctioning rifle that slamfires as a machine gun, even if they have to try different kinds of ammo to find one that makes it work. :banghead:

Point taken, though.

thx997303

imported post

Though, that man did apparently have many other firearms charges.

Of course that one is stupid, the other ones not so much.

But, maybe I'm thinking of someone else.