• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another blogger heard from

ODA 226

imported post

From that blog:

"I'll also say that things may be a bit different in other cities around the US, but to feel the need to carry a loaded semi-automatic hand gun in a military style leg holster (scroll down) while you visit the zoo in Boise, Idaho is a bit over the top."

Remember the thread from a few months ago when I took flak my many when I suggested that military style, drop leg holsters, would present the OC movement in a negative light?

Well, this is pretty good proof that I called it as something that could be used by the anti's and that I my thoughts were true. During the actual news clip, they focused not on the families exersizing their 2A rights, but on the wicked looking DL holster, the "Assault Holster" of holsters.

Again, I'm not saying it is wrong to utilize a DL holster out of necessity, but it is not a good choice if we want to be perceived in a good light.

Orygunner

imported post

But, the more that the public sees good, peaceful people carrying handguns in military-style leg holsters, maybe they will eventually get desensitized to seeing it!

OK, maybe we should take it one step of desensitization at a time? First belt holsters, then, leg holsters. Next, OC in shoulder holsters? Eventually we'll work on AR-15's slung over shoulders...

One step at a time may be best after all. However, if we're trying to get noticed for our cause, maybe the leg holsters will help? It seems as if hardly anyone notices my little Taurus Millennium Pro in my high-ride holster when I'm OCing...

...Maybe someone should start making neon day-glo holsters... ;)
...Orygunner...

AbNo

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Remember the thread from a few months ago when I took flak my many when I suggested that military style, drop leg holsters, would present the OC movement in a negative light?
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

Antis will bitch at whatever they think they can get away with.

thorvaldr

imported post

Sure they'll bitch about anything, but I see the point. The guys you mostly see OCing in public places are cops. They carry on their (bat utility) belt in some sort of retention holster. The logical baby step from people feeling comfortable seeing cops with guns to seeing "we the people" with guns would be for us to carry them like cops do. Also, cops carry their weapon in that way for reasons that apply to some degree to anyone carrying in public, so it seems to me like a logical way to carry.

imperialism2024

imported post

May I use this opportunity to point to: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/13846.html

Granted, this writer used posts he thought were evil, but in fact were very innocent. And that fact may indeed turn many of his readers pro-OC, when they see how ridiculously he twisted our words.

But imagine if he had come across some of the "shoot the beer thieves!" posts... Fortunately, though, he just couldn't really make us look bad once he quoted primary sources. Hell, if he had included photos of OCers visiting a zoo with their families, his post would have become even less credible.

The point being, if we stay calm and continue to portray ourselves as the normal people we are, then open carry pretty much makes its own case. As the anti-OC's jump up and down and yell hysterically "Look! Look! He has a gun! And it's exposed! Wild West analogy! Wild West analogy!", I'd have to say that rational people will eventually learn to think "Well... he's not doing anything wrong. What's the matter with it?" I'd say that's why most OCers have very little negative attention while OCing. Even members of the general public may at first be taken aback by an OCer, but then upon realizing that nothing bad is resulting from it, they will continue about their normal business. Open carry sells itself, as long as we don't destroy the goods.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
May I use this opportunity to point to: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/13846.html

Granted, this writer used posts he thought were evil, but in fact were very innocent. And that fact may indeed turn many of his readers pro-OC, when they see how ridiculously he twisted our words.

But imagine if he had come across some of the "shoot the beer thieves!" posts... Fortunately, though, he just couldn't really make us look bad once he quoted primary sources. Hell, if he had included photos of OCers visiting a zoo with their families, his post would have become even less credible.

The point being, if we stay calm and continue to portray ourselves as the normal people we are, then open carry pretty much makes its own case. As the anti-OC's jump up and down and yell hysterically "Look! Look! He has a gun! And it's exposed! Wild West analogy! Wild West analogy!", I'd have to say that rational people will eventually learn to think "Well... he's not doing anything wrong. What's the matter with it?" I'd say that's why most OCers have very little negative attention while OCing. Even members of the general public may at first be taken aback by an OCer, but then upon realizing that nothing bad is resulting from it, they will continue about their normal business. Open carry sells itself, as long as we don't destroy the goods.
+1

It's not always what is said but rather how it is said.

thorvaldr

imported post

Yeah, let's just figure Mike didn't say that. Oh, by the way:

A man is riding by the zoo when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion's cage. Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the cuff of her jacket and tries to pull her inside, under the eyes of her screaming parents. The man jumps off his bike, runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch. Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl, and the man brings her to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly.
A reporter has seen the whole scene, and addressing the man, says: "Sir, this was the most gallant and brave thing I have ever seen a man do in my whole life." The man replies: "Why, it was nothing, really, the lion was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger, and acted as I felt right."
"Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist, you know, and tomorrow's papers will have this on the first page. What do you do for a living?"
"I'm a Deputy,” was the man's response.
The following morning the man buys the paper to see if it indeed would bring news of his actions, and reads, on first page: "Policeman assaults African immigrant and steals his lunch."

imperialism2024

imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
Yeah, let's just figure Mike didn't say that. Oh, by the way:

A man is riding by the zoo when he sees a little girl leaning into the lion's cage. Suddenly, the lion grabs her by the cuff of her jacket and tries to pull her inside, under the eyes of her screaming parents. The man jumps off his bike, runs to the cage and hits the lion square on the nose with a powerful punch. Whimpering from the pain the lion jumps back letting go of the girl, and the man brings her to her terrified parents, who thank him endlessly.
A reporter has seen the whole scene, and addressing the man, says: "Sir, this was the most gallant and brave thing I have ever seen a man do in my whole life." The man replies: "Why, it was nothing, really, the lion was behind bars. I just saw this little kid in danger, and acted as I felt right."
"Well, I'll make sure this won't go unnoticed. I'm a journalist, you know, and tomorrow's papers will have this on the first page. What do you do for a living?"
"I'm a Deputy,” was the man's response.
The following morning the man buys the paper to see if it indeed would bring news of his actions, and reads, on first page: "Policeman assaults African immigrant and steals his lunch."
Since when did johnnyb become a journalist?