• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Police Officer Blogs in Favor of Open Carry for Texas

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Count wrote:
That knowledge is an individual responsibility not something government should test. Government tests in public schools and you see what you get.... No thanks.Using your logic,you should be tested before you are allowed to write anything - after all free speech unregulated can cause serious harm to the public good.... Government test before you can enter a church? Government is the problem and NEVER the solution.

You're right, but lets not judge him too quickly. Lets see what he has to say first before you put words in his mouth. If he's here and advocating our cause, he's atleast got my benefit from the doubt.

BearArms

imported post

Morning... it's difficult for me because I think gov't is involved in too much already AND we have too many gun laws on the books, BUT... For instance, I don't believe in gov't mandates for motorcyclists wearing helmets. If you're an adult, it's your choice. As for carrying weapons whether open carry and/or concealed, I'm all for it and believe there should be NO limitations where you can carry it!! Period!
On the otherhand, if I see you with a weapon, I wanna at least have a comfort level that you are proficient with it, safety conscious and you understand the huge responsibility that comes with wearing it. It's a tool and you should know how to use a tool safely and responsibly.
Because a weapon ONLY exists to injure or kill, I believe everyone should go through a basic safety & proficiency test. Yes, it should be mandated, but with support from an organization like the NRA or similar. I know you and the NRA would not agree with me, but that's my opinion. Joe :D

Diver_59

imported post

Mike wrote:
http://cowtowncop.blogspot.com/2008/07/open-carry-in-state-of-texas.html

Monday, July 21, 2008
Open carry in the State of Texas

I am a cop, and I support open carry in the State of Texas.

I am not a anti government, hunker-in-the bunker, NATO black helicopters coming to take my guns wacko. The State of Texas has seen fit to trust me to enforce the laws of the State and the municipality that I work in. The State trust my judgment to the point that they have allowed me to relieve persons of their freedom. The State trust to me to carry a firearm ALL the time in places that they do not trust CCW holders to carry in. I boldly stroll past signs that declare NO concealed weapons on these premises.

When I am at work I carry a firearm openly. No one looks twice at me as I go about my daily business. I do have a small piece of tin that rides beside my weapon but it is not that noticeable. I wear business or business casual cloths that do not by themselves identify me as a police officer. Most people that I interact with seem not to notice that I am carrying a firearm. I carry a Sig P220 which is by no means a small weapon. I really don't think there would mass hysteria if a substantial portion of the law abiding public were to carry firearms where everyone could see them.

I firmly believe that the founding fathers of our country meant what they said when they wrote "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed". That "bear" part seems to be pretty self explanatory.

Think of it from a crime control standpoint. If you were a criminal would you rather commit a crime in a place where no one is armed, or a place where you can clearly see that there are armed folks around. Would a criminal walk up to a store clerk that was carrying a firearm and demand the cash out of the register? How long would a school shooter last if the staff or students were carrying firearms? How would a robbery-by-threat at a bank work if the customers or tellers were openly carrying a firearm.

From a police perspective I would rather know that someone was carrying a firearm, rather than have to guess.

We live in an increasingly violent society. Those who take responsibility for their own safety have started to apply for concealed carry permits in record numbers in our State. Our State legislature has de-criminalized certain aspects of the unlawful carry of firearms law. Wouldn't it be a logical next step to let law abiding citizens, who can qualify for a CCW, carry their firearms openly?

Posted by Cowtown Cop at 4:52 PM
Labels: CCW, Open carry, police work
I am glad to be able to read posts like this, being from Missouri where we are allowed to OC (except in towns where they have ordinances against it)it would be nice to be able to OC in Texas as well. I travel to Texas several times a year because I have family there. I have my CCW but I OC as often as possible and carrying concealed in Texas is very inconvenient for me mainly because of the weather there.

We just need to convence the business owners thatposting thier buildings not only helps the crimminals it deprives you of your constitutional rights and by posting thier buildings they are guarenteeing your safety if someone of lesser morals comes in with a gun and starts shooting.

I wish Texas all the luck possible in passing OC legislation, but not just because I want to OC there...It's your right!

Diver_59

imported post

BearArms wrote:
Morning... it's difficult for me because I think gov't is involved in too much already AND we have too many gun laws on the books, BUT... For instance, I don't believe in gov't mandates for motorcyclists wearing helmets. If you're an adult, it's your choice. As for carrying weapons whether open carry and/or concealed, I'm all for it and believe there should be NO limitations where you can carry it!! Period!
On the otherhand, if I see you with a weapon, I wanna at least have a comfort level that you are proficient with it, safety conscious and you understand the huge responsibility that comes with wearing it. It's a tool and you should know how to use a tool safely and responsibly.
Because a weapon ONLY exists to injure or kill, I believe everyone should go through a basic safety & proficiency test. Yes, it should be mandated, but with support from an organization like the NRA or similar. I know you and the NRA would not agree with me, but that's my opinion. Joe :D
I agree to a point, everyone should have at least some basic training in the handling of firearms if they intend to carry...as for the helmit laws you mentioned...I think the same could be said for this stupid seat belt law..if someone wished not to wear one they are only indangering themselves and it has no bearing on how well the vehicle is controled.

Diver_59

imported post

Count wrote:
Mike,

I am a police officer and strongly favor unlicensed open carry. It is a right not a privilege. No criminal will risk being detected by open carrying. I don't understand what the fuss is all about.... The Constitution means what it says.
As I have written in another thread, the constitution was written in the common mans language, by common sence people...most polititions dont understand this language, this is why everything is so complicated.

rodbender

imported post

BearArms wrote:
I'm in favor of carrying a weapon everywhere and anywhere so long as the person carrying it has completed a standardized safety course and has a through knowledge of his or her weapon.
Do you also think you should be required to take a test to be sure you don't offend anyone while speaking? or to make sure you know about the religion you want to be a part of? or to petition the government for redress of grievances? or the right of assembly? The list is long. Driving is a privilege, not a right, therefore it would only be natural that someone show a proficiency before being granted this privilege.

Diver_59

imported post

rodbender wrote:
BearArms wrote:
I'm in favor of carrying a weapon everywhere and anywhere so long as the person carrying it has completed a standardized safety course and has a through knowledge of his or her weapon.
Do you also think you should be required to take a test to be sure you don't offend anyone while speaking? or to make sure you know about the religion you want to be a part of? or to petition the government for redress of grievances? or the right of assembly? The list is long. Driving is a privilege, not a right, therefore it would only be natural that someone show a proficiency before being granted this privilege.
The only reason the government says that things are a privilege not a right...is because they can impose some sort of fee or cost so they can make a profit from it. They dont really care whatit is so long as they can get thier hands on more of our money to waste.

rodbender

imported post

BearArms wrote:
Because a weapon ONLY exists to injure or kill,
My weapon exists, not to injure or kill, it exists to stopa threat of harm to me or those around me. And that's my final answer, Regis.

rodbender

imported post

Diver_59 wrote:
BearArms wrote:
For instance, I don't believe in gov't mandates for motorcyclists wearing helmets. If you're an adult, it's your choice. :D
...as for the helmit laws you mentioned...I think the same could be said for this stupid seat belt law..if someone wished not to wear one they are only indangering themselves and it has no bearing on how well the vehicle is controled.
I'm in agreement 110%. Where in the Constitution does it say that government has the rightto protect me from myself and my stupid choices?

rodbender

imported post

Diver_59 wrote:
The only reason the government says that things are a privilege not a right...is because they can impose some sort of fee or cost so they can make a profit from it. They dont really care whatit is so long as they can get thier hands on more of our money to waste.

Should be amended to say

.......more of our money to put in their pockets.

I think we are getting off topic. Better get back to thread discussion.

Diver_59

imported post

rodbender wrote:
Diver_59 wrote:

Should be amended to say

.......more of our money to put in their pockets.

I think we are getting off topic. Better get back to thread discussion.
How can this be off topic?....first they said we cant carry a weapon.....then they say we can but we have to pay for a permit and classes...when in fact the constitution doesnt say a word about having to pay for our "privilege" to bear arms.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BearArms wrote:
I understand how you feel about the helmet laws, but there is something underneath it that you might be missing. When a Cyclist wipes out and busts their head and they have no health or life insurance, who gets to pick up the tab? When they have to be life-flighted to the nearest hospital, who picks up the tab then? All in all it puts more of a strain on the medical system and requires more tax dollars to go into it. So essentially, you would pay for it, as would I and everyone else from that town.

Bender really made most of my argument for me. Either way, I'm still glad you're here.

rodbender

imported post

DopaVash, I know what you are saying.When they say that 43 million Americans are not covered with health insurance, it is a true statement. What they don't tell you is that approximately 30 million of these don't have health insurance because they have the resources to pay for their health care themselves, and choose not to have health insurance. In Texas it is a requirement to have $10,000 in health and accidentcoverage to be able to ride without a helmet. Do they require the same for seat belts? NO! Equal under the law. NOT!!!!

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rodbender wrote:
BearArms wrote:

Rodbender, I see your point and agree with it in principle. However, until most people are used to seeing the rest of us carry, we will have too accept licensing. After gun saftey and proficency is common sence again, such rules can be lifted. The communists have taken our freedom away incrementally, and stigmatized our tools. We must take them back incrementally, and return open carry into the mainstream. All the while struggling against the media, hollywood, and the George Soros' money machines.

To expand further, a LOT more people are killed with vehicles, in spite of licensing, and the fact that vehicles aren't MADE tohurt people. Guns are intended to cause injury, and there may even be as many guns in the US as cars. So even if us gun carrying knuckle dragging conservatives have proven to be far less dangerous than the greasy half baked moonbats in their VW bugs, it's not yet popular perception.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DopaVash wrote:
I understand how you feel about the helmet laws, but there is something underneath it that you might be missing. When a Cyclist wipes out and busts their head and they have no health or life insurance, who gets to pick up the tab?
When a fat person has a heart attack or develops diabetes and they have no health of life insurance...

When a person with high cholesterol...

When a smoker...

When a child is born with Down's...

There are lots of good arguments against this line of thinking (including financial cases), but I'll settle for just one point...

This is an excellent argument against "universal health care." It gives the government (and the masses) the impression that they have a say in the behavior of others, even when that behavior does not infringe on another's rights.

The reality is that all behaviors have some level of inherent risk, and the least popular of these behaviors are the ones that will be outlawed or regulated. Democracy at its worst. Before you jump on the seatbelt law, helmet law, smoking ban bandwagon, consider the consequences.

P.S. I wonder how the leftists would respond if we started penalizing gays for their "risky" lifestyle that brings an exponential increase in the risk of contracting AIDS.

rodbender

imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
However, until most people are used to seeing the rest of us carry, we will have too accept licensing.
I know that we MAY (not will)have to accept licensing. But we need to go for the gusto. If you never ask for it, you will certainly never receive it.

BearArms

imported post

Okay, you guys WIN! However, if you ever see me on the street OC or concealed carry, know that I know my firearm well and know how to use it properly. Knowledge & safety first is all that I'm saying!

I'm a common-sense person, but this is ridiculous.
Isn't America great?? :banghead: