• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Police Officer Blogs in Favor of Open Carry for Texas

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://cowtowncop.blogspot.com/2008/07/open-carry-in-state-of-texas.html

Monday, July 21, 2008
Open carry in the State of Texas

I am a cop, and I support open carry in the State of Texas.

I am not a anti government, hunker-in-the bunker, NATO black helicopters coming to take my guns wacko. The State of Texas has seen fit to trust me to enforce the laws of the State and the municipality that I work in. The State trust my judgment to the point that they have allowed me to relieve persons of their freedom. The State trust to me to carry a firearm ALL the time in places that they do not trust CCW holders to carry in. I boldly stroll past signs that declare NO concealed weapons on these premises.

When I am at work I carry a firearm openly. No one looks twice at me as I go about my daily business. I do have a small piece of tin that rides beside my weapon but it is not that noticeable. I wear business or business casual cloths that do not by themselves identify me as a police officer. Most people that I interact with seem not to notice that I am carrying a firearm. I carry a Sig P220 which is by no means a small weapon. I really don't think there would mass hysteria if a substantial portion of the law abiding public were to carry firearms where everyone could see them.

I firmly believe that the founding fathers of our country meant what they said when they wrote "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed". That "bear" part seems to be pretty self explanatory.

Think of it from a crime control standpoint. If you were a criminal would you rather commit a crime in a place where no one is armed, or a place where you can clearly see that there are armed folks around. Would a criminal walk up to a store clerk that was carrying a firearm and demand the cash out of the register? How long would a school shooter last if the staff or students were carrying firearms? How would a robbery-by-threat at a bank work if the customers or tellers were openly carrying a firearm.

From a police perspective I would rather know that someone was carrying a firearm, rather than have to guess.

We live in an increasingly violent society. Those who take responsibility for their own safety have started to apply for concealed carry permits in record numbers in our State. Our State legislature has de-criminalized certain aspects of the unlawful carry of firearms law. Wouldn't it be a logical next step to let law abiding citizens, who can qualify for a CCW, carry their firearms openly?

Posted by Cowtown Cop at 4:52 PM
Labels: CCW, Open carry, police work

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

This is pretty cool.

Since the articles and newscasts, I've had several local police officers express verbal support for open carry in Texas.

:celebrate

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
This is pretty cool.

Since the articles and newscasts, I've had several local police officers express verbal support for open carry in Texas.

:celebrate
The police know the deal - the "threat" to them is from criminals who CONCEAL.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"Wouldn't it be a logical next step to let law abiding citizens, who can qualify for a CCW, carry their firearms openly?"

I would have expected someone by now to have commented on this last sentence and the restrictions inherent therein.

I am very happy to see LEOs now publicly recognizing the absurdity of the CC only position. His argument that his OC doesn't cause distress is one I have made numerous times - if many LEO are so adamant about all the disadvantages of OC, why aren't their unions demanding that even uniformed LEOs carry only CC.

Makarov

imported post

Great article and perspective.

I dont understand that Texas known for the Alamo would not allow citizen to open carry. Here in Ohio, open carry does not require any permit unless you are in a car. Then your ccw permit takes over from there.

I beleive that there should be federal consenus of all states that no matter where you are in the United States, you can wear your weapon openly, period. As a person who retire from the military, serving 23yrs. I fought for the rights of all Americans and I am deeply appaulled at the politicans who constantly try to pass bills that restrict any freedom.

I salute any police officer for their duty and devotion to protect us from crime and I will protect any police officer who would come under fire from a criminal.

God Bless

Makarov

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike,

I am a police officer and strongly favor unlicensed open carry. It is a right not a privilege. No criminal will risk being detected by open carrying. I don't understand what the fuss is all about.... The Constitution means what it says.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Count wrote:
No criminal will risk being detected by open carrying. I don't understand what the fuss is all about....
Count - the FBI study agrees with you:

An FBI study recently documented that, essentially, bad guys don't open carry, or even wear holsters: Anthony Pinizzotto, et al., Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers, FBI (2006) (finding that violent criminals carefully "conceal" their guns and "eschew holsters"), summary available at [url]http://www.forcesciencenews.com/home/detail.html?serial=62[/url].

And . . .Open Carry is not a problem in the states where it has become popular

Here is an audio recording of a police spokesman in urban Richmond, VA at [url]http://tinyurl.com/6dvg5d[/url]explaining this past week that a police response to a man openly carrying a gun on a bus was handled routinely only to determine that he was legally OPENLY carrying the gun, and stating that police have no problem with the growing number of open carriers - that unlawful concealed carriers are their concern. Interestingly, United States Supreme Court has already said that police cannot detain or search anyone based merely on a 911 call or other report that he is carrying a gun. Florida v. J.L., 529 U.S. 266 (2000).

In 2004 Virginia's legislature fortified its state firearms preemption law by eliminating gradfathered local gun bans. A news report at the time from urbanized Arlington County, adjacent to and formally part of Washington DC, noted thatunder the law, it would be legal for gang members to walk around with a guns [sic]visibly swinging from their belts. But [Matt] Martin, the Arlington County police spokesman, said police officers were not particularly concerned about gang members following the law. "We're not worried about a gang member legally using a gun we're worried about a gang member illegally using a gun," he said. "Criminals who are going to use firearms aren't going to follow the law anyway." David Harrison, VA: Gun Owners Emboldened by New Laws, Connection Newspapers,July 22, 2004 (emphasis added), snips of article available at [url]http://www.jonathanmark.com/Blog/1100620473[/url]

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I make it a point to open carry as a citizen when I travel. I open carried in Las Vegas for a week and nobody called police on me. I think the more people see open carry the more common and normal will become.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Unfortunately Texas (where I reside) hasno open carry....

BearArms

imported post

I stumpled on this website; didn't know sites like this existed. Good comments from the police officer. I've been a long-time advocate of gun rights and believe that open carry would be beneficial to reducing crime. I certainly don't believe it would increase crime. I'm in favor of carrying a weapon everywhere and anywhere so long as the person carrying it has completed a standardized safety course and has a through knowledge of his or her weapon. Seems to me that a conceal carry permit would meet that criteria?
Anyway, I reside in TN. Why is it that every damn time I buy a weapon, I have to pay a $10.00 fee for a background check? It's crazy.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BearArms wrote:
I'm in favor of carrying a weapon everywhere and anywhere so long as the person carrying it has completed a standardized safety course and has a through knowledge of his or her weapon. Seems to me that a conceal carry permit would meet that criteria?
We all advocate safety courses and one knowing their weapon. Failure to know what you're carrying is only a recipe for disaster. However, I think an important distinction you should make is if the Govt should Mandate that one be taken. Remember that carrying a fire-arm is a RIGHT, not a priviledge like driving your car.

Either way, Welcome to the Site. Glad to have you on board.

BearArms

imported post

Hi dopavash,

I'm NOT sure I understand your reply, but thanks for welcoming me to this forum. Regardless whether it's a RIGHT or PRIVELEDGE, anyone carrying a firearms should pass a standardized proficiency test or exam or whatever you want to call it. The only exception to this would be if he or she is on private property... Joe

I ride a Harley and ride tandem at time. I want to know whether that other rider has a basic proficiency before I ride beside him. Whether you agree or NOT, this is what I advocate and support. It's NOT to much to ask for someone to demonstrate they are aware of what a weapon can do AND know how to use it. I'm a big fan of pulling a gun on someone ONLY if you intend to "shoot to kill". This means you have NO OTHER CHOICE! That's a HUGE responsibility and demands at least a basic knowledge of what you're holding in your hand!

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BearArms wrote:
Hi dopavash,

I'm NOT sure I understand your reply, but thanks for welcoming me to this forum. Regardless whether it's a RIGHT or PRIVELEDGE, anyone carrying a firearms should pass a standardized proficiency test or exam or whatever you want to call it. The only exception to this would be if he or she is on private property... Joe

I ride a Harley and ride tandem at time. I want to know whether that other rider has a basic proficiency before I ride beside him. Whether you agree or NOT, this is what I advocate and support. It's NOT to much to ask for someone to demonstrate they are aware of what a weapon can do AND know how to use it. I'm a big fan of pulling a gun on someone ONLY if you intend to "shoot to kill". This means you have NO OTHER CHOICE! That's a HUGE responsibility and demands at least a basic knowledge of what you're holding in your hand!
My question is do you think this should be a societal, even an industrial mandate or a Government Mandate. Meaning do you think that people should just do it and be strongly suggested into doing it or do you think the Fed should Control the issue by forcing people to take the classes?

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That knowledge is an individual responsibility not something government should test. Government tests in public schools and you see what you get.... No thanks.Using your logic,you should be tested before you are allowed to write anything - after all free speech unregulated can cause serious harm to the public good.... Government test before you can enter a church? Government is the problem and NEVER the solution.