• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Police Officer Blogs in Favor of Open Carry for Texas

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
bobernet wrote:
I wonder how the leftists
Some "leftists" may be pro-open carry!
Some child-molesters may be pro-open carry too. Open carry is not the be-all end-all issue of liberty, as important as it is. Liberty is about more than guns.

Looking for common ground is good, but I'm not going to have a lot of luck working toward gun-rights liberty with someone who is anti-every-other liberty. Don't let tunnel-vision keep you from seeing the bigger picture.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BearArms wrote:
Okay, you guys WIN! However, if you ever see me on the street OC or concealed carry, know that I know my firearm well and know how to use it properly. Knowledge & safety first is all that I'm saying!

I'm a common-sense person, but this is ridiculous.
Isn't America great?? :banghead:

Don't get frustrated for us voicing our opinions and attempting to influence your thinking. Don't think of it as winning or losing; If Texas gains open carry, everyone wins, license or not. We're all for saftey and knowledge too, thats why we're here. We just don't believe the govt is the best way to make that happen.

Common sense isn't always the best sense. Well educated is the best sense.

Yes, America is fantastic.:dude:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

BearArms wrote:
Okay, you guys WIN! However, if you ever see me on the street OC or concealed carry, know that I know my firearm well and know how to use it properly. Knowledge & safety first is all that I'm saying!

I'm a common-sense person, but this is ridiculous.
Isn't America great?? :banghead:
Safety is a tyrant's tool because no one can be against safety. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DopaVash wrote:
BearArms wrote:
Morning... it's difficult for me because I think gov't is involved in too much already AND we have too many gun laws on the books, BUT... For instance, I don't believe in gov't mandates for motorcyclists wearing helmets. If you're an adult, it's your choice. As for carrying weapons whether open carry and/or concealed, I'm all for it and believe there should be NO limitations where you can carry it!! Period!
On the otherhand, if I see you with a weapon, I wanna at least have a comfort level that you are proficient with it, safety conscious and you understand the huge responsibility that comes with wearing it. It's a tool and you should know how to use a tool safely and responsibly.
Because a weapon ONLY exists to injure or kill, I believe everyone should go through a basic safety & proficiency test. Yes, it should be mandated, but with support from an organization like the NRA or similar. I know you and the NRA would not agree with me, but that's my opinion. Joe :D
I understand how you feel about the helmet laws, but there is something underneath it that you might be missing. When a Cyclist wipes out and busts their head and they have no health or life insurance, who gets to pick up the tab? When they have to be life-flighted to the nearest hospital, who picks up the tab then? All in all it puts more of a strain on the medical system and requires more tax dollars to go into it. So essentially, you would pay for it, as would I and everyone else from that town.

Bender really made most of my argument for me. Either way, I'm still glad you're here.
There is something underneath that I think you might be missing. It takes a convoluted thought process to find the constitution saying that the gov't can take wealth and income from me and give it to you to pay for health care, housing, food, clothing, transportation, a television or any other thing? Once the redistribution of income game started, once gov't became a charity service instead of following the constitution only, then gov't was justified in being involved in all those areas of our lives in the name of "saving tax payer money". It's the "well now that we infringed this way, we have to infringe this other way now to protect our interests created by the original infringement."

This applies to 2A issues as well. If not for the infringement of 2A rights 9/11 and everything that followed would probably have never had an opportunity to occur. If 2A rights hadn't been infringed we wouldn't be cheering the LEO in the OP because he never would have had any reason to say what he said.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Make no mistake, I'm not missing that at all, I was merely trying to be concise. What you have a problem with is what conflicts with the basic ideas of conservatism, and I completely agree.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DopaVash wrote:
Make no mistake, I'm not missing that at all, I was merely trying to be concise. What you have a problem with is what conflicts with the basic ideas of conservatism, and I completely agree.
I'm not sure what you mean. Most of my friends, employees and relatives are pretty conservative and typically GOP voters and nearly all of them would agree with my comments.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rodbender wrote:
PrayingForWar wrote:
However, until most people are used to seeing the rest of us carry, we will have too accept licensing.
I know that we MAY (not will)have to accept licensing. But we need to go for the gusto. If you never ask for it, you will certainly never receive it.
Aye, I agree. We should demand complete unrestricted OC, and then "compromise" w/ licensing if we need too. Then in a few years, get rid of the rest of the restrictions.

S.E.WI

imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
rodbender wrote:
PrayingForWar wrote:
However, until most people are used to seeing the rest of us carry, we will have too accept licensing.
I know that we MAY (not will)have to accept licensing. But we need to go for the gusto. If you never ask for it, you will certainly never receive it.
Aye, I agree. We should demand complete unrestricted OC, and then "compromise" w/ licensing if we need too. Then in a few years, get rid of the rest of the restrictions.
Licensing = "infringement". 2A says nothing about licensing and it is another method of record keeping. I would hope that you stay away from compromising a right that is being denied. The best of luck to you.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

S.E.WI wrote:
PrayingForWar wrote:
rodbender wrote:
PrayingForWar wrote:
Licensing = "infringement". 2A says nothing about licensing and it is another method of record keeping. I would hope that you stay away from compromising a right that is being denied. The best of luck to you.
The problem is we've been compromising all along, and giving up ground. The tables are turned in our favor now, so I don't mind incrementally taking back our rights. Their goal was to totally disarm us, incrementally. They failed, yet I'm not under any illusion that we can reverse 80 years of anti gun legislation in one bold initiative. If we stay on the attack, we can chip away at the restrictions faster than they were implimented, but we have to STAY focused, and not bicker amoungst ourselves about semantics as long as the ultimate goals are the same. That's how the left operates, we need to use that tactic against them.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
S.E.WI wrote:
PrayingForWar wrote:
rodbender wrote:
PrayingForWar wrote:
The problem is we've been compromising all along, and giving up ground. The tables are turned in our favor now, so I don't mind incrementally taking back our rights. Their goal was to totally disarm us, incrementally. They failed, yet I'm not under any illusion that we can reverse 80 years of anti gun legislation in one bold initiative. If we stay on the attack, we can chip away at the restrictions faster than they were implimented, but we have to STAY focused, and not bicker amoungst ourselves about semantics as long as the ultimate goals are the same. That's how the left operates, we need to use that tactic against them.
Well said. +1

CrossFire

imported post

Let's face reality guys, we would not hace CC now if the legislators had not been able to get revenue for it. We will not get OC unless they can tax and regulate it at least not in the beginning.

Diver_59

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Let's face reality guys, we would not hace CC now if the legislators had not been able to get revenue for it. We will not get OC unless they can tax and regulate it at least not in the beginning.
That's what I've always said....The government will let you do almost anything if they can make a buck off of it. But it's partly our fault for voting the bastards in and then letting them get away with it.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
DopaVash wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean. Most of my friends, employees and relatives are pretty conservative and typically GOP voters and nearly all of them would agree with my comments.

Sorry for the odd wording, but what I was saying is that you're of a Conservative mindest and what you have a problem with is everything else. No worries.

MFuess

imported post

I applaud all Texas LEO’s that agree that Open Carry should be the Law-of-the-Land. I’m one yourcitizens right here in Bedford TX.I don’t just watch out for my family, I observe situation awareness for everyone. For those neighbors that don’t own guns, don’t like guns, or don’t want to even see them… that’s OK. We’ve got your back, if you wouldkindlyleave us advocates alone!

DualBerettas

imported post

Hi all,

Well I'm new to this place, but I like it so far. I'm a Peace Officer, not a LEO (but that's another discussion :)) and I fully support any effort towards True 2nd Amendment rights and ALL other Rights for that matter.

DB

scorpioajr

imported post

Mike wrote:
http://cowtowncop.blogspot.com/2008/07/open-carry-in-state-of-texas.html

Monday, July 21, 2008
Open carry in the State of Texas

I am a cop, and I support open carry in the State of Texas.

I am not a anti government, hunker-in-the bunker, NATO black helicopters coming to take my guns wacko. The State of Texas has seen fit to trust me to enforce the laws of the State and the municipality that I work in. The State trust my judgment to the point that they have allowed me to relieve persons of their freedom. The State trust to me to carry a firearm ALL the time in places that they do not trust CCW holders to carry in. I boldly stroll past signs that declare NO concealed weapons on these premises.

When I am at work I carry a firearm openly. No one looks twice at me as I go about my daily business. I do have a small piece of tin that rides beside my weapon but it is not that noticeable. I wear business or business casual cloths that do not by themselves identify me as a police officer. Most people that I interact with seem not to notice that I am carrying a firearm. I carry a Sig P220 which is by no means a small weapon. I really don't think there would mass hysteria if a substantial portion of the law abiding public were to carry firearms where everyone could see them.

I firmly believe that the founding fathers of our country meant what they said when they wrote "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed". That "bear" part seems to be pretty self explanatory.

Think of it from a crime control standpoint. If you were a criminal would you rather commit a crime in a place where no one is armed, or a place where you can clearly see that there are armed folks around. Would a criminal walk up to a store clerk that was carrying a firearm and demand the cash out of the register? How long would a school shooter last if the staff or students were carrying firearms? How would a robbery-by-threat at a bank work if the customers or tellers were openly carrying a firearm.

From a police perspective I would rather know that someone was carrying a firearm, rather than have to guess.

We live in an increasingly violent society. Those who take responsibility for their own safety have started to apply for concealed carry permits in record numbers in our State. Our State legislature has de-criminalized certain aspects of the unlawful carry of firearms law. Wouldn't it be a logical next step to let law abiding citizens, who can qualify for a CCW, carry their firearms openly?

Posted by Cowtown Cop at 4:52 PM
Labels: CCW, Open carry, police work

WOW! I would love to see someting like this in our local papers! Kudos guys! :celebrate:celebrate

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

DopaVash wrote:
BearArms wrote:
Hi dopavash,

I'm NOT sure I understand your reply, but thanks for welcoming me to this forum. Regardless whether it's a RIGHT or PRIVELEDGE, anyone carrying a firearms should pass a standardized proficiency test or exam or whatever you want to call it. The only exception to this would be if he or she is on private property... Joe

I ride a Harley and ride tandem at time. I want to know whether that other rider has a basic proficiency before I ride beside him. Whether you agree or NOT, this is what I advocate and support. It's NOT to much to ask for someone to demonstrate they are aware of what a weapon can do AND know how to use it. I'm a big fan of pulling a gun on someone ONLY if you intend to "shoot to kill". This means you have NO OTHER CHOICE! That's a HUGE responsibility and demands at least a basic knowledge of what you're holding in your hand!
My question is do you think this should be a societal, even an industrial mandate or a Government Mandate. Meaning do you think that people should just do it and be strongly suggested into doing it or do you think the Fed should Control the issue by forcing people to take the classes?
I think if you have completed a CC course then that should be enough to cover any or all to OC.

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

CrossFire wrote:
You know i stopped by my local gun dealer haha who to say the least had no clue of the movement that was taking place here in Texas WOW and that is sad,,"I know that says alot to me" but anyways he said he didnt think it could happen and i said Why? yo ukow as well as i do that it would be just like the CC classes and thats revenue for Texas and you right, thats how i see it happening in Texas and the only way they are going to let us SAD but my oppinion. Then he said well that i could see.