• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Planned trip from Arizona to Washington State

Dr.No

imported post

Hi,

New to the list, and not up to speed on Loaded Open carry while driving from Arizona, through Nevada, to Idaho and on to Washington State.

If I am in a small pickup truck, am I going to get hassled while motoring in any of the above states if the loaded weapon is in full view?

If so in any of the above states, what about Holstered behind the bench seat, where it is totally out of reach, since I am a tall person and the seat back is against the rear portion of the cab?

I can bolt a small push button quick open safe to the floor. Would any official have a right to demand to see what is in a locked safe if I were to get pulled over? (I am not about to admit or offer any information as to what is inside a container holding my personal property protected by the 4th. Am.)

I have heard there are check points at Hoover dam manned by federales, Has anyone had trouble while transiting through there?

G27

imported post

In Washington State you cannot drive and have a loaded pistol in a vehicle without a CPL. So you'll have to unload and separate before crossing the state line. Hope that answers your question for the Washington side. :)

Texan

imported post

Dr. No

I travel to Washington a lot...I take 93 most of the way.

I open carry all the way to Washington and then CC there. Unless you want to see the dam I would avoid it, some times it's really busy.

When you get to Washington, you can get a CC in about 3 to 4 days. Some of the issuers will ok the permit that quick, others won't.

PavePusher

imported post

I don't know about Hoover Dam, but Glen Canyon Dam definitely prohibits firearms in the visitor center and on the tour on and in the dam (13 June 08). I imagine Hoover would have the same policy in effect.

Editied for spelling... bleh.