• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need help with some questions

steve7890

imported post

ok so i have to get out of my truck walk to the back in public open tail gate and drop gun in holster out side of the truck. is this what every one on here is doing? if thats what i have to do i will.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Why open the tail gate? The gun can be in the cab with you. But, yes technically you should be outside of a vehicle when loading.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Everything that I have read here is a the way it has been explained to me several times in the past regarding transporting a firearm.

Here is my question. If I'm open carrying and about to get into my car, I need to unload prior to entering my vehicle (remove magazine and clear chamber). Now what if I take my pistol from the holster on my hip, unloaded, and then place it in a seperate holstered (or the same holster if you prefer) on the dash of the vehicle, it would be unloaded and in plain sight. My vehicle has an indent on the dash to stop items from moving around, or if you really wanted you could fasten a holster to your dash somehow.

What are your thoughts on this? It leaves the firearm readily accessable and you could have the magazine closeby.

Max

imported post

I am no expert mug but I think the gun must be encased, unloaded and out of reach in order to avoid any problems with a gun in a vehicle. If I am wrong, someone will correct me.

Max

imported post

Shotgun, you right, me wrong,
The statute says only unloaded and encased and says not a word about being out of reach.

smithman

imported post

The mythical "out of reach thing" comes from the 3-prong test for concealed carry:

1. The weapon is within reach

2.The persons is aware of its presence

3.The weapon is hidden.

The trunk carry ideas is intended to eliminate the #1.

Bottom line, for doing many things in wisconsin the law for propery having a gun in a gun-free or restricted zone is "unloaded" and "encased" ONLY. This applies in state parks and school zones (both can be bypassed with DNR and police permission, respectively) and car.

But have it unloaded an encased and you are fine. If you are in a bad situation, loading and placing the gun on the dash now unconceals it (but you may be fined 100 for the improper car carry).

edit:spell fix