• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped in Costco

dwetnight

imported post

Hi all. I was interested in finding out if anyone has experianced any issues related to open carry at Costco in NC. I was shopping in the Durham Costco and was stopped by an ass. manager and asked to remove my pistol from the store. No signs or stickers were in evidence prohibiting open carry. I didn't take the time to really talk to him as he seemed "very" nerious, I just offered him my cart and left. Now I am curious to know if anyone has inquired about Costco's policies requarding this.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CostCo's policy in general regarding firearms is very anti-gun. Forceful signage or not, if you are seen carrying a gun at ANY CostCo, you will be told to remove it from their store. There's pretty much a blanket boycott of their stores by members here, and those that do shop there carrying concealed, if found out, leave their business behind if told to leave.

isarchief

imported post

I OC as a right, even though I can CC anywhere. I have never been in Costco but I am in Sam's Club in Matthews every week and I OC their without any issues. On the other hand, I have had a problem at the BJ's Warehouse on Independence Blvd when an idiot rent-a-cop attempted to stop me from entering the store while OCing. He asked if I was LE and I lied and told him no to see what his reaction would be. He promptly asked me to remove the gun from the store and I promptly enlightened him on NC common law and statutes and showed my LE ID. I advised him that if he harassed people that OCd or ever put his hands on them, that he would be the one charged. I have little patience for idiots, especially those that will attempt to assert their perceived "power" over people.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Isarchief, welcome to OCDO. I'm sure we all appreciate it when an officer of the law comes around that is educated on firearms laws and rights.

Anyway I don't think I've ever shopped at a Costco, but I have heard of situations similar to yours. Apparently they don't want our business!

ilikeglocks

imported post

I have OC'ed once in the Costco in Wilmington with no problems. I have also CC'ed there with no problems either. I got gas there on the way back home and the attendant thought my stainless 92FS was quite pretty. I had to tell him that it was a "Sunday" gun that I shoot frequently but don't carry too often and usually I carry the smaller Glock 19.

isarchief

imported post

Thanks DreQo. In BLET we are not really taught about law enforcement as much as criminal apprehension and therefore look at everyone as a suspect. Unfortunately I find myself in the minority when it comes to wanting to know the law before I try to enforce it. Guess that's why I'm eying law school.....

acritical

imported post

Would hate to lose a knowledgeable LEO, in terms of N.C. firearm rights,to law school. However, it is also good to know that there may be another 2nd Amendment lawyer out there that we can go to if ever wrongly confronted/hassled/detained.

Hopefully, you will be able to share your knowledge with other LEO before your departure from law enforcement.

Welcome to the site.