• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped by Durham PD

dwetnight

imported post

I had a interesting encounter with an officer of the Durham police dept. As I was leaving Kroger with my cart full of groceries and my pistol on my hip, I was call over by an officer who was hanging out in the lobby of the store. After we established that I was not a member of any law enforcement organization we proceeded to discuss the legality of open carry. He insisted that it was not permitted "you can't just go around with a pistol on your belt", I countered that there is no law against it. He indicated I was wrong because otherwise "anyone" could go around armed. After about 10 minutes of calm conversation he advised me to call the Sheriff's office first thing Monday morning so that I could find out the law from them and then we parted company without incident. It was a very strange encounter.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Interesting encounter!

You should have gotten his name and number and made sure he did the same - then had a follow-up conversation with him.

No doubt he would have said "Yeah, but it disturbs people, and you could be charged... yada yada yada."

Either way, at least he would have been enlightened!

Custodian

imported post

First of all, since firearms are such a strong attractor of police, why doesn't this officer know the law? Second, the state constitution says it all. Three, no wonder he's a Durham cop and they don't answer to you, they answer to the city council and the mayor (who are pretty much anti gun). Its been high time to dissolve the police department & just have a county Sheriff, which is the only position guaranteed by the state constitution.

vrwmiller

imported post

I strongly recommend that you contact the department chief with the details of the encounter. Otherwise, this officer will continue to stop anyone seen OC'ing.

Just a side note: If he "knew" it was against, the law, I doubt he would have let you go just like that. Certainly, he would have attempted to detain you and contact his supervisor or the DA.

Perhaps he just wanted to strike up a conversation and make an assessment of the risk of someone like yourself carrying a firearm. He just chose the wrong words to start that conversation.

Of course, this is all speculation on my part.

dwetnight

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Just a side note: If he "knew" it was against, the law, I doubt he would have let you go just like that. Certainly, he would have attempted to detain you and contact his supervisor or the DA.

Perhaps he just wanted to strike up a conversation and make an assessment of the risk of someone like yourself carrying a firearm. He just chose the wrong words to start that conversation.

I suspect that this is the case. I found the encounter rather amusing. I am certain that I will run into this officer again. Next time I will attempt to write down the officer's name, etc. for a letter to the police chief.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

dwetnight wrote:
...He indicated I was wrong because otherwise "anyone" could go around armed....
Did you tell him that he was absolutely right? :D