• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Congressman Moves to Block Guns in Airports

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/07/21/airport_guns.html

Quote:

Congressman moves to block guns at airport

By JAMES SALZER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/21/08

The chairman of the U.S. House's Homeland Security Committee wants the federal government to keep Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport a gun-free zone.

Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) wrote Transportation Security Administration officials Monday asking them what they will do to keep guns out of the world's busiest airport in light of a new Georgia law that allows Georgians with carry permits to tote guns into restaurants that sell alcohol, onto public transportation and, supporters say, into the airport.

"It is my belief that federal law prohibits individuals from carrying firearms in all areas of an airport and that TSA has the authority to enforce these restrictions," Thompson wrote. "To do otherwise would hamper TSA's ability to keep our airports secure."

Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin has vowed to lobby Congress and federal officials to mandate that any public facility receiving federal money be declared a "gun-free zone." City officials have promised to arrest anyone carrying a gun at Hartsfield-Jackson. Gun advocates have sued to stop the city from searching or arresting people for "legally carrying firearms."

Gun advocates say the new law, which took effect July 1, means people with the proper permits could carry concealed weapons in the non-secure areas in front of airport security gates. Federal law prohibits guns beyond the security gates.

Attempts to reach Rep. Tim Bearden (R-Villa Rica), the gun law's champion, were unsuccessful.

In his letter to Kip Hawley, assistant secretary of TSA, Thompson asked for the federal security plan for Hartsfield-Jackson.

"TSA's inability to protect the general public from individuals carrying concealed weapons into an airport would pose a serious and unnecessary security threat," Thompson wrote. "If TSA management believes that no current law exists to clearly designate areas of an airport within the control and authority of federal transportation officials, the committee may seek legislative action to correct this omission."

KBCraig

imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/07/21/airport_guns.html

"It is my belief that federal law prohibits individuals from carrying firearms in all areas of an airport ..."
It is my belief that Rep. Thompson is either a moron, or willfully ignorant of the law.

If he believes that federal law prohibits individuals from carrying firearms in all areas of an airport, then why has he introduced a bill that would prohibit individuals from carrying firearms in all areas of an airport?

Redundant, again?

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Malum Prohibitum wrote:

"It is my belief that federal law prohibits individuals from carrying firearms in all areas of an airport ..."
It is my belief that Rep. Thompson is either a moron, or willfully ignorant of the law.

If he believes that federal law prohibits individuals from carrying firearms in all areas of an airport, then why has he introduced a bill that would prohibit individuals from carrying firearms in all areas of an airport?

Redundant, again?
Well, he has not introduced it. He is threatening to do so ("may") if it turns out he is wrong, which he is.