• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disappointed with NY's Carry Rules

High Caliber LLC

imported post

YOUR SITUATION WILL NOT CHANGE UNTIL YOU AND OTHER VOTERS EDUCATE YOUR CITIZENS ON RIGHTS VS PRIVILEGE [RIGHTS: ARE NOT "GRANTED" BY ANYONE -READOUR U.S. CONSITUTION -PRIVILEGE: ACITIVITIES"GRANTED" TO YOUBY OTHERS.]

THEN YOU AND THE VOTERS VOTE THE 'OLD GUARD' OUT AND CHANGE YOUR SITUATION.

THIS USUALLY STARTS FROM ONE - YOU MAY BE THE ONE, TRY IT - YOU MAY LIKE IT!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

DT4E31 wrote:
...............preaching to the choir.................
Yes but sometimes people need to vent!

Fight them through the courts but most of all fight them with ballots!

Meanwhile organize , plan and act where and when you can.

Yata hey

BrianSchenectady

imported post

New to the post so I am sorry how the last question was asked. I recently received my pistol permit in schenectady county. Everyone there was great along the way. When I picked up the permit I noticed I had the restriction of target and hunting on it. When I applied for it I asked for the concealed carry. She told me to draw up a letter for the judge to have my permit amended and bring it back to her. My question is: What do they (judge) want to hear? Any samples out there? Thanks in advance Brian

emsjeep

imported post

Training, experiance and good cause is what they want to hear, even then though, who knows....noting is assured.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

BrianSchenectady wrote:
New to the post so I am sorry how the last question was asked. I recently received my pistol permit in schenectady county. Everyone there was great along the way. When I picked up the permit I noticed I had the restriction of target and hunting on it. When I applied for it I asked for the concealed carry. She told me to draw up a letter for the judge to have my permit amended and bring it back to her. My question is: What do they (judge) want to hear? Any samples out there? Thanks in advance Brian
It would probably help to be his brother. :?

Yata hey

emsjeep

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
BrianSchenectady wrote:
It would probably help to be his brother. :?

Yata hey

Or pretty with a short skirt and adventurous personality.

unarmed in westchester

imported post

Haha, love the replies. Brian, glad to hear you had a decent pistol permit application process a bit upstate. I was pretty much laughed at when i originally applied for full carry & was strongly advised to change my application to target/hunting. I was told that my reasoning (personal protection) was not good enough. I knew it wouldnt be good enough for them, but it was a good enough reason for me! I was pissed and wanted to follow through with my full carry application and get my day in court with a judge and let him/her tell me why i shouldnt be allow to protect myself and loved ones. However, i know how things go around here and knew id be out of the $$$ i forked out during the process, be back to square one and make a bad name for myself.

Yes, knowing a judge would most definately help, but thats even a stretch.

Brian, as others have stated, they want to know you're training, experience and good reasoning. However, whatever you have in those lines may be great, but still not good enough for them to grant you full carry.

emsjeep...not so true lol. When my fiancee went to hand in her paperwork, she dressed nice (sexy enough, but not provocative ;)) and still didnt get any breaks! In fact, she is still waiting to receive her permit 4 or so months later.

IanB

imported post

eabo wrote:
Does anyone know if there is anyway around this for Ex Police officers?
Don't take my comment as an attack on you personally, but the idea/attitude that being a cop or an ex-cop bestows special privileges upon you is wrong. LEO's have no more right to defend their lives than I do. If you as an ex-cop deserve the privilege to CC then so do all the rest of the law abiding citizens of your state. There is actually a term for government elites who believe they have some sort of special powers that make them better equiped to carry firearms, they are called "Only Ones". This term was started after Lee Paige famously said (before blasting his foot off in front of school children):

Okay…I'm the only one in this room, that I know of, professional enough to carry this Glock 40. I'm the only one…
http://www.vaguninfo.com/videos/deaschool.htm

markand

imported post

A federal law passed in 2004, known as HR218 for the House bill number where the law originated, allows active and retired law enforcement officers, under some circumstances, to apply for what is effectively a nationwide concealed carry permit. It is valid as a concealed carry permit in ALL states, but many state and local regulations, like those concerning possession of hollowpoint ammunition apply.

Unfortunately, you probably don't meet the conditions to apply. You have to be an active or retired LEO. You only served with NYPD for 4 years and probably didn't "retire".

Check out http://www.njlawman.com/Feature Pieces/HR 218.htm or use any Internet search engine with the keyword "HR218" and you'll get all kinds of hits.

Some feel LEO's should be treated no different than any ordinary citizen, and frankly I agree, but HR218 was seen by many as a "foot in the door" to wider concealed carry legislation. We'll see.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Leabo wrote:
Looks like I'll just have to settle with a Target Permit.
This is what the government is counting on. That the gun owner will settle for "just good enough". Then they will whittle away some more of your rights, and you will say, "Oh, looks like I will have to settle with a disassembled flintlock under seven locking systems."

If you want your rights restored in your state, you need to be proactive. As dismal as it might sound, you and your fellow New York gun owners need to be heard. Others have mentioned moving to a more gun friendly state. I propose we make this a gun friendly nation, so movement is not required.

Why let the liberals take over? We need to take this nation back. Whether we want to admit it or not, gun owners are in for a rough 4-8 + years. We can not sit back and "settle" while the democrats that control the nation erode away our rights. And it's not just the second amendment they are targeting, it is freedom as we know it.

jnxnyc

imported post

I just registered on this site because I needed to reply to this thread. I am a NYC resident who is NOT active OR retired LEO. I just wanted to let you guys know that it is not impossible.......(almost though) I am a licensed Unrestricted Concealed Carry Permit holder.

NO, I do not have any "connections" No, I didn't make any bribes, No I didn't sell my kid.;)

Iwas able to get one because of the business that I do. I make daily cash deposits of $5K - $15K a day.

I will let you know though it WAS NOT EASY. 1PP licensing division put me through hell. 9 months, at least 12 trips (lost count) and all of this is where parking is impossible and the parking lots charge around $20 per hour. So if you do the math it took quite a bit of $$ to get things done. The aggravation of them telling me "oh you need to bring a document that seems to be missing from your business portfolio." and then after I bring it they say, " oh it needs to be the original, come back with it next time." After a few of those excuses I would bring both the original AND copy. I was then told I would need to come in during their operation hours, Mon - Thurs. 10 AM - 2 PM. ( I think that was it.)

After a few months of me calling and going to them.......Ibeatthem in playing their games.When I went to pick up the license I was told I needed to bringmy paperworkand told to wait ( about 3 hoursat $ 20 per hour for parking) I was told I was to be issued a RESTRICTED CCW Permit........ WTF!!! I asked to speak to the investigator handling my case and was told she was on her lunch break. ( even though I could see her at her desk BS'ing with the other fat idiots there) I asked to speak to the supervisor and was told to see the LT. As soon as I walked to his office I was still flush with anger but had the cool head to remind myself, "this is the guy who has the final say so , so don't F things up" I spoke in a respectful and calm tone and explained the whole situation of 9 months and the numerous trips back and forth and the expenses I incurred. I was done speaking and waited for a reply, but none was given to me immediately. he looked past me and called out the secretary? and he hollered to bring him my file and saw him reaching for a stamp. I thought to myself, " OH DAMN! I messed it up and he is going to put a big fatDENIED stamp:shock:

Then I could see the letters"UNRESTRICTED" :celebrate

NOW comes the F'ed up part again. i was told that after I make my purchase I had to bring it back to 1PP to have it "inspected" :cuss:and that the inspection hours are only done on wed and thurs, 12 - 2 PM (if I can remember)

I could not believe that I was finally approved. I waited another hour before I got my permit in my hand. I couldn't believe it, I just kept looking at it, then away, then looking at it again to make sure it read unrestricted. :what:

lets just say, I left 1 PP as fast as I could before they take it back. I then rushed to my gun shop in Brooklyn, which was about 20 minutes away from 1PP. I only had about 1 and a half hours before the inspection time ended so I had to get this done or I would have to go back again the next week! FFFF THAT!!! lets just say i am a law abiding citizen but I am admitting that I broke a few traffic laws that day. :cool:

I get the gun and then I was told that I needed a lock on the case before I bring it in to 1PP for inspection. I put it into my backpack and searched for the nearest CVS and bought any one I could find. Popped it on the case and rushed back ( I only had about 30 minutes before the inspection time ends) I made it back PP in 10...................Parked it, RAN to the security station before they searched me for any weapons (hehehe) and I showed them my purchase receipt and letter of authorization from the licensing division and was waved through. I made it back to the inspection room with about 5 minutes to spare. Soon a some Det. comes out and looks at it, still in the box and just compares serial numbers and says we're done.

:celebrateWOHOOWHHOOOWOOOHOOOO!!!!!!:celebrate

I have more to write about but my kid is killing me by trying to press the keys on this keyboardso I will post again next time.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

And in Pennsylvania I made one trip to the County Sheriff's office, filled out a one-page application, plopped down $42, and had my picture taken. Some 40 days later my license arrived in a Plain-Jane envelope, no letter or "guidance" included.

When I went to purchase my handgun (totally unrelated to the preceding paragraph), I went to the store, told the person what I wanted, filled out a one-page State document, plopped down the cash, and walked out the door with my handgun in its factory-supplied cardboard box.

I used to be a Subject, but now I'm a Citizen.

Aran

Banned
imported post

Unfortunately, I had to make about three trips to the Sheriff's office because they didn't like my references.

Laws? Who needs laws? They just get in the way of doing whatever you want!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Aran wrote:
Unfortunately, I had to make about three trips to the Sheriff's office because they didn't like my references.

Laws? Who needs laws? They just get in the way of doing whatever you want!
Didn't like your references ?? Where does it say that the Sheriff has the priviledge of deciding which or whose references he likes?

I'm not as familiar with the laws in Pa. but in Va. I would demand the approval or rejection of my application and request an Ore Tenus hearing if the permit were not approved in a timely fashion.

Yata hey

Ctgunfun

imported post

Wow its so funny To be reading this, All this BS for NYS to keep people from carrying pistols and I am watching the news and the only place in the whole country to have death from trampling during the black friday shopping rush was LI.

I guess you wont be able to shop next year either.LOL

maybe if people were worried someone might be carrying a gun they wouldnt have trampled that poor person.

stormy

imported post

For those of you NYS permit holders with a "Hunting & Target Only" endorsement, place some paper targets in your vehicle and leave them there and get yourself a "small game hunting license". I am not current on the hunting laws but I know at one time you could hunt racoon 24 hours a day, 365 days a year with a pistol in most counties. If you are ever stopped by the police, tell them you are going to or coming from target shooting or hunting.

jnxnyc

imported post

stormy wrote:
For those of you NYS permit holders with a "Hunting & Target Only" endorsement, place some paper targets in your vehicle and leave them there and get yourself a "small game hunting license". I am not current on the hunting laws but I know at one time you could hunt racoon 24 hours a day, 365 days a year with a pistol in most counties. If you are ever stopped by the police, tell them you are going to or coming from target shooting or hunting.

This could get you into trouble if you get pulled over and questioned at 2- 3 AM in the morning and you say you are coming from target shooting (in NYC) at a range. They can and most likely will ask what club you belong to and a contact phone number. If they find your club is never opened at those hours you can end up being all over the news if Bloomberg hears about it.

An exception is a few clubs in NYC and Long Island are "key clubs" where a member is allowed 24 access to his/her club. They are rare and VERY expensive. I have heard a few being in the $300 - $400 annual due range and an initial application fee of $300. Ridiculous! :banghead: