• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

va beach chp

Sea_Chicken

imported post

I was told by a Va Beach sheriff deputy that after taking my saftey class for my chp app that i had to apear in front of a judge and be decided on weather i am " worthy " to conceal a handgun. This sounds like a load of s#*t to me but i figured i would post it if i could get some better info on the subject.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:
I was told by a Va Beach sheriff deputy that after taking my saftey class for my chp app that i had to apear in front of a judge and be decided on weather i am " worthy " to conceal a handgun. This sounds like a load of s#*t to me but i figured i would post it if i could get some better info on the subject.

You have come to the right place.

The requirements are in VA Code 18.2-308. There is no interview requirement.

You can read the entire law here for yourself:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Add it to your Favorites. You'll want to be able to refer to it easily. Its straight from the VA General Assembly's website.Its also pretty handy to go to the bottom of the page, click back to the search page, and add that to your Favorites, too.

Sea_Chicken

imported post

Cool i can show it to my father in law next time i try to tell him my wife and i dont need interviews and if he keeps bein persistand i'll print that up and hand it to him.:p

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:
Cool i can show it to my father in law next time i try to tell him my wife and i dont need interviews and if he keeps bein persistand i'll print that up and hand it to him.:p

You could let him off the hook easy and tell him the law was changed when VA became a shall-issue state.

Maybe somebody else can tell us when. I've heard 10 years ago and 4 years ago.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Sea_Chicken wrote:

You could let him off the hook easy and tell him the law was changed when VA became a shall-issue state.

Maybe somebody else can tell us when. I've heard 10 years ago and 4 years ago.

kenny

imported post

In Virginia if an individual has lost their rights to own or carry a firearm, as part of the reinstatement process the individual would have to appear in front of the Judge of the Circuit Court of residence. Losing that right could be from felony conviction, domestic violence or commitment process for mental health issues.

USMC91E6

imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:
Good morning, I got my CHP in VaBeach in 2000 and i didnt have to Appear before a judge. i just went to the clerk of courts and picked it up. I ihope this helps

cdunlop

imported post

Got mine back in 05; Went down to the Va Beach Court house, filled out the paper work, handed the nice lady $50.00, and walked out. 2 weeks later i had permit in hand. very easy!

SIGguy229

imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:

The deputy is ignorant. Sorely ignorant as the law changed 13 years ago. Plus, the fact VA is a "shall issue" state for CHP has been in the news for (at least) the last 2-3 years.

Read the law, know the law...continue to ask questions here and get active with the VCDL (www.vcdl.org)

Mike

Chkultr

imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:
Tell him that law was in when va beach was pa county not va beach!! Also take him down to the precinct so both of you can go thru the process together!!!