• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Designated Spokesperson

IndianaBoy79

imported post

We definately weren't prepared for all of this attention. I think we need designate one knowlegable, well coached person. If media contacts us, this is the person who should speak for us as a local group. Does anyone have any objections?

I nomintate Saint.

Saint

imported post

More than happy to do it if no one has objections. I've had my fair share of run ins with law enforcement and anti-OCers so I am pretty good at holding my own in a gun debate

Navajo

imported post

You speak in sound bites. You never answer the question posed unless you know what they mean by the question. Always ask for clarity on what they asking. (They will edit out your question for clarity.

What you see on TV is never what is record. The cut and paste and rearrange. So take your time in answering.

If they preface a question with an assertion be very careful,youneed to address the assertion and not the question. Negate the assertion first, usually a stereotype. Then they will ask the question again, break it up into two parts.

Short and sweet, not a running dialog, Make sure you points get put out there and stay way from the "what if", even label them as that if they draw you into a "what if", remind them we could do what if all day long. Bring them back into reality and they world we live in. Don't let them define the world we live in.

It is late, I wake up in 1 1/2 hours time to get some sleep.

Navajo

imported post

Now that I'm back at work,

Did we have a talking point sheet going in?

9 points to talk about.

First 3 important items that can be said in under a minute.

Then the next three if you have time to work them in, then the next 3. Each point can be used to answer a question and or worked into each other if you have a chance.

Ever question or comment should be concluded with a sound bite or point your want to get across. You want to wrap up the conversation.

You always hope to make every point but more than likely never will get past three.

never let them define you or your message or the point you want to get across, you will never persuade the interviewer to your position, never , ever. You as using the interview to get a few points out to the listeners. The interviewer has his mind made up completely all ready and has his talking points and message ready to go. You are never taken on one person he has a army of people prepping him and even speaking in their ear. you don't have that so stay with your talking points.

Be able to work you talking points into every conversation and be able to present the message in three different ways.

They will cut you off, ask them nicely to not do that, call them rude and stop the conversation if they persist. They do not want to complete or to make your point. If it is that bad , walk away. labeling them as a rude interviewer.

Three points is all you want to get across, you go with more ammo than you need.

GreenDrake

imported post

I'm pretty new here, but in listening to that radio show last night, I agree, we need to get organized. I had to turn it off halfway through as it was being played against her, which is not something we need to have. We need concise talking points, organized information and representatives who are professional, informed, intelligent and polished. I understand the intent of the interview and why that show picked her out, which is unfair but in order for the show to come off as the smarter ones, they stacked the deck and she never had a chance.

Navajo

imported post

Alan Combs, can't stand him, don't have cable, but I have seen him once in while.

He is very good at what he does, might be the best out there, he will find the weakness in a guest and exploit it and tear them up.

I guess that is why he gets paid so well.;) Carol never had a chance.:cuss:

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Time to move beyond last night anyways. We're deep in it, so to us of course it hurts. Everyone else in the world has already forgoten the interview happened and other headlines have hit the papers.

We just weren't ready for that this time. I like your talking points idea Navaho. Someone should make a "Media Fact Sheet" that we can use when any of us get in that unconfortable position near the microphone.

Hiredgun30

imported post

i agree with u navajo.. some great resources are fbi, atf, cdc websites
also officer.com, idoc website, idaho.gov

its always necessary for talking points.. i ALWAYS carry my (WAR BINDER) on me
when i am carrying. i can win any gun debate just by flipping the pages and quoting statistics from any of the websites listed above..
I even downloaded dc vs. heller, to quote Justice Scalia , WHEN i want to knock a homerun (per se)
if i really feel like it, i quote idaho case law on posession of firearms, especially when regarding oc....

as of today.. my binder is 100+ pages.

Domandred

imported post

An excellent bullet point resource that floats around every now and then is the Gun Facts ebook available free in various formats here: http://www.gunfacts.info/

It's not incredibly in depth but gives a jumping off point for various arguements

Saint

imported post

I did 15 min presentation to my college communications class last year on gun rights and their importance in keeping our society safe and free. I'll see if I can dig up all the research I did.

I think we should organize some type of face to face meeting ASAP for any of the Idaho OCers who can make it so we can make it official who is going to be spokeperson, what stances and information the group wants to go off of, and to designate some of the group to be our contact points (people who members can call if they get into a police encounter, media debate, etc... who can then call the appropriate people. Look at my post of the BPL incident to see how valuable Patriot was to helping the encounter come off correctly)

Navajo

imported post

Does someone within OCDO have this already. Using an existing template would likely be more comprehensive and quicker.

ETA: modification would be easier than building from scratch.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, meeting ASAP. Agreed. When, where? I say tonight or tomorrow night... meet at my place downtown or else where. Any ideas?

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I am off work at 10 pm, but can meet then. Is everyone ok with a later meeting?

Call me if you guys get together, I go to work at 2 today. PM me if you need number, most of you got it though.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Navajo has the idea.

I was a 'registered community volunteer' for our SC CWP/gun rights group for just the reasons and purposes mentioned here. Presentable. Well and literately spoken. Familiar with the issue. Memorized the talking points. Good stage presence. Trusted by the principals/leaders.

I appeared on evening news call-in segments several times and spoke to civic groups, most notably the local Libertarian Party.

BrianEMT

imported post

I haven't slept in about 24 hours so you better make it SOON haha...otherwise late at night works for me too...

Emergency Gun Conference :celebrate

Navajo

imported post

I was getting ready to go home and sleep for a couple hours. I know I am new but would like to help if possible.

Any time is good for me.