• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing motorcycle thing.

b1ack5mith

imported post

gonna get my motorcycle license soon (price of gas and whatnot) so id like to know, what laws apply to OC on a motorcycle... supposedly it is completely legal, with or without CWP.

Also, those of you who have your motorcycle license... what am i to expect during tests? i understand that they are more difficult than the regular driving tests. so i would like to know, how difficult is the written and skills test? i took a pre-test for practice on the DMV site, and i scored a 76% i think, with NO studying, and no previous "ON THE ROAD" skills. ive only ridden dirtbikes before.

i will be getting a honda trail 90 on KSL soon, they get over 100 MPG usually, and cost under 1000$. top speed of about 45, but thats all you need for around town stuff. if i find a 125 i might get it.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think... the smallest bike you can legally have on the road is a 50cc, at least thats the smallest scooter you can register for road use, but it has to be 250cc for the highway.

I also think... I have heard when you add all the extra stuff to put a normal dirt bike on the road you usually have to get a better stator to power the lights and stuff.

You can find the 250cc KLR enduro bikes on KSL between $1000 and $3000 or the 650cc ones for $3000 to $6000. It sounds like you want good MPG though. But I would say get a 250 if you want it for the trail too.

When TJ chimes in about the OC on it, he knows more but I think your good on that just avoid schools if you dont have a CWP

UTOC-45-44

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
gonna get my motorcycle license soon (price of gas and whatnot) so id like to know, what laws apply to OC on a motorcycle... supposedly it is completely legal, with or without CWP.

Also, those of you who have your motorcycle license... what am i to expect during tests? i understand that they are more difficult than the regular driving tests. so i would like to know, how difficult is the written and skills test? i took a pre-test for practice on the DMV site, and i scored a 76% i think, with NO studying, and no previous "ON THE ROAD" skills. ive only ridden dirtbikes before.

i will be getting a honda trail 90 on KSL soon, they get over 100 MPG usually, and cost under 1000$. top speed of about 45, but thats all you need for around town stuff. if i find a 125 i might get it.

You can OC with it "Utah Unloaded" on your hip while MCing. Just avoid the School zones. Due to the fact that you don't have a "privilege" yet.

I never rode a bike prior to the MC school and past both tests.

Now there is a tier system for the MC licenses.

Go on to DMVs website and they will be able to explain.

TJ

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:

You can OC with it "Utah Unloaded" on your hip while MCing. Just avoid the School zones. Due to the fact that you don't have a "privilege" yet.

I never rode a bike prior to the MC school and past both tests.

Now there is a tier system for the MC licenses.

Go on to DMVs website and they will be able to explain.

TJ
- TJ is correct that you can ride Utah Unloaded.
- When in/on a vehicle you are exempted from Utah school zone laws (But not federal ones)

76-10-505.5. Possession of a dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun on or about school premises -- Penalties.

(1) A person may not possess any dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun, as those terms are defined in Section 76-10-501, at a place that the person knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is on or about school premises as defined in Subsection 76-3-203.2(1).
(2) (a) Possession of a dangerous weapon on or about school premises is a class B misdemeanor.
(b) Possession of a firearm or sawed-off shotgun on or about school premises is a class A misdemeanor.
(3) This section does not apply if:
(a) the person is authorized to possess a firearm as provided under Section 53-5-704, 53-5-705, 76-10-511, or 76-10-523, or as otherwise authorized by law;
(b) the possession is approved by the responsible school administrator;
(c) the item is present or to be used in connection with a lawful, approved activity and is in the possession or under the control of the person responsible for its possession or use; or
(d) the possession is:
(i) at the person's place of residence or on the person's property;
(ii) in any vehicle lawfully under the person's control, other than a vehicle owned by the school or used by the school to transport students; or
(iii) at the person's place of business which is not located in the areas described in Subsection 76-3-203.2(1)(a)(i), (ii), or (iv).
(4) This section does not prohibit prosecution of a more serious weapons offense that may occur on or about school premises.

Amended by Chapter 203, 2003 General Session

b1ack5mith

imported post

usSiR wrote:
I think... the smallest bike you can legally have on the road is a 50cc, at least thats the smallest scooter you can register for road use, but it has to be 250cc for the highway.

I also think... I have heard when you add all the extra stuff to put a normal dirt bike on the road you usually have to get a better stator to power the lights and stuff.

You can find the 250cc KLR enduro bikes on KSL between $1000 and $3000 or the 650cc ones for $3000 to $6000. It sounds like you want good MPG though. But I would say get a 250 if you want it for the trail too.

When TJ chimes in about the OC on it, he knows more but I think your good on that just avoid schools if you dont have a CWP

im only like 5'6 so its hard for me to ride bigger bikes, but i dont need one for the hwy, i just one one for around town... payson to spanish or santaquin (just take SR198)

i want somethin for REALLY good gas mileage, like an old honda trail 90, or a 125 dirtbike or somethin

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:

im only like 5'6 so its hard for me to ride bigger bikes, but i dont need one for the hwy, i just one one for around town... payson to spanish or santaquin (just take SR198)

i want somethin for REALLY good gas mileage, like an old honda trail 90, or a 125 dirtbike or somethin
The old Honda 90s are street legal, though they handle like crap. But consider two things.

1-A BATTERY is a really good idea. It is a major safety benefit to be able to burn lights even when the engine won't start. The Honda 90s have a battery.

2-A motorcycle offers ZERO crash / impact protection. Even a great helmet and a full set of kevlar "leathers" offer less protection than going without seatbelt in the smallest car you can imagine. Bikes are invisible to far too many drivers. You have only a couple of things to help you out here:

Acceleration, braking, and maneuverability.

Start to remove those, and bikes get even more dangerous. I suggest a bike small enough for you to handle well, but large enough to have some real get up and go (not necessarily top end, just 0-40, 30-60, and 60-0).

Hang as many lights on it as possible, get the best horn you can. Dress properly. Assume and ride as if NOBODY can see you. And when you get married and/or have kids who depend on you, sell it and get a car until the kids are raised. You can buy a LOT of gas for what a SINGLE day in the hospital will cost.

Charles

goosemama

imported post

OKguys, I'm only 5'2" and I ride a 1994 Honda GL1500. It all comes down to your ability to handle the bike you get. Now the best thing you can do before you go to get your license is take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation class. If you can pass their driving test, then you will only have to take the Staten written test. They provide the bike, you'll only need a helmert, gloves, long sleeved shirt (yeah, I know it's HOT!) and shoes that cover your ankles. At least that was all you needed when I took the class several years ago. I don't think that much has changed since then.

Another advantage with taking the MSF course is that you can submit your certificate to your insurance company and get lower rates. They will consider you an "educated" rider and as such, a safer rider. At your age, any time you can get a discount on insurance, it will pay for itself in the long run.

scorpioajr

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:

....2-A motorcycle offers ZERO crash / impact protection. Even a great helmet and a full set of kevlar "leathers" offer less protection than going without seatbelt in the smallest car you can imagine...

I will say this from 1st hand experience:

A helmet, Gloves, Boots, and a 1 piece set for leathers: and i STILL had $80k in medical bills AND I am still seeing surgeons. (Not at fault BTW, so their insurance got it.)

...funny enough, that is the primary reason i OC. i can't really run away from anyone or physically defend myself..

Snoopy

imported post

As far as gas mileage goes my experience has been that most bikes get from 40 to 50 mpg real world. There are those extreme machines that get 70 to 80 but I have found those to be the little 50cc jobbers that go max 30mph. Even the 250cc wonder bikes get 50ish. I drove one of those 50cc machines for about a year... it was only a little bit better than riding a bicycle, and the bicycle went up hill faster.

My suggestion is to get something with enough umph to get you out of a situation should you find yourself suddenly in a shtf moment. I am not talking about a 1400cc bullet bike....but more like a 400 to 600cc.

And I add my vote to take the MSF class. Lots of good information you won't find anywhere else.

(required subject) Remember, if they don't see the bike normally, what makes you think they will see/notice you open carrying on a motorcycle?

b1ack5mith

imported post

hey guys, im not needing a bike for the hwy or anything, just for drivin up the canyons/to work and stuff... and God bless ya, protectedby9mm!

so goosemama, if i get the course, i wont need to take a skills test at the DMV? just a written?

scorpioajr

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
was it a HWY accident, or local?...
it was a Miami,Fl // Palmetto & Bird rd. accident. :lol:

Was waiting to turn left at an intersection and a SUV pulled up right into me. Guy said he didn't see me waiting and yielding to oncoming traffic at the light. its all good. just got me a gansta limp. haha j/k.

Francis Marion

imported post

Sounds like mine. 3 yrs ago she didn't see me (that's what the police report said. made insurance settlement easy) and turned a small SUV left into my direction of traffic. I busted both tib & fib at the ankle and every joint on my left side has given me problems ever since.

Problems are much more likely to occur in town. There are countless opportunities for someone to enter your lane on every city block. The opportunities for cages (riders term for cars) to attack you greatly diminishes on the highway.

I still ride because life lost so much meaning when I couldn't enjoy the thrill of freedom I experienced on a motorcycle.

There is also much more to consider than the # of CCs a bike has. My first bike was a 700cc Honda Nighthawk, the grad-daddy of the current bullet bike. I laid it over many times because it had such a high center of gravity. My 2nd bike was an 1100cc Yamaha Virago that I called a pseudo Harley. It was a touring bike and at half again as much bigger than my first bike, it rode lighter because it had a lower center of gravity. The only time it ever tipped was when she didn't see me. Even now that I ride a Harley, I consider a Virago the ideal starter bike.

With personal experience with OC on a MC, they are much more likely to see the gun than the MC and anything that gets their attention is a bonus. I ride with lights, polished chrome, and loud pipes.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
hey guys, im not needing a bike for the hwy or anything, just for drivin up the canyons/to work and stuff... and God bless ya, protectedby9mm!

so goosemama, if i get the course, i wont need to take a skills test at the DMV? just a written?

If you do the Skills test the DMV may only let you do the written. Prepare for that you will have to do it and if you don't you're in luck.

I didn't have to do it (lucky enough for once).

I walked in did the written and show the piece of paper of the completed course just a few days earlier. Did the "mug" shot and walked out with the endorsement.

TJ

goosemama

imported post

Like I said, it was several years ago when I took the MSF course. I'm not the expert nor have I kept up with the current laws, but if you take the MSF course and pass their riding part of it, you should only have to take the written part at the DMV. Like TJ said, he just showed his certificate of passing, took the written test and then got his mugshot taken.

goosemama

imported post

I've gone down 2x. The first time a bright red cadillac made a left turn in front of me on Riverdale road. He was late for his lunch date at Chili's and he stated that he saw me but thouht he had enough time to make his turn. Then he claimed that my light was red. However I was in the yield lane that didn't have to stop, just merge into traffic. He was lucky I was already strapped onto the gurney when he made his next comment that a WOMAN shouldn't be riding a motorcycle.

His lawyer then came after me for damages to his car. He stated that I didn't know how to ride such a big bike (it was an Honda Goldwing 1100 - I loved that bike). I made sure to have a copy of each of MSF certificate of completion to show him. Not only do they have the beginners course, but they have EXPERIENCED rider courses that you can take as well. Itcompletely blewhim rightout of the water. They immediately dropped their counter-suit and paid me for a new bike + all my medical.

I know you're saying that you only want to ride to work and up canyon roads, but take my word for it, the motorcycle bug has probably already bit you. You will most likely start planning more and more rides to take on your bike. Think really hard about the kind of machine you want and/or want to eventually ride and what you really plan to do on it. It could save you a lot of additional $$ to actually get a bigger bike now instead of buyingsmaller and then getting the next bigger one and the next bigger one, etc.

:banghead: People will say that riding a motorcycle is dangerous. OF COURSE IT IS!! We probably wouldn't be riding if it was safe and sane. However, you can take steps necessary to protect yourself. Helmets (mine have saved my life twice now), full sets of leathers, gloves, glasses, etc. I ride with, and have for years, with a large stuffed animal on the backseat of my bike. Right now it's a HUGE pink bunny with sun glasses and a black leather vest on. People actually see the BUNNY before they see the bike driving down the street. Lights help. Any and all lights that I can have on my bike (within my budget and whether my husband has the time to put them on for me) I make sure to run with.

So anyway, I get off my soapbox now. I could probably go on and on and on...........

thx997303

imported post

I need to buy me a good bike.

At least 650 cc. Then get my MC license. Will have to wait till next year though.