• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing motorcycle thing.

thx997303

imported post

For freeway? That might be wise. I need to practice though, I haven't ridden anything larger than a 650. Old Yamaha, nice bike. Perfect height for me.

bane

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
was it a HWY accident, or local?...
it was a Miami,Fl // Palmetto & Bird rd. accident. :lol:

Was waiting to turn left at an intersection and a SUV pulled up right into me. Guy said he didn't see me waiting and yielding to oncoming traffic at the light. its all good. just got me a gansta limp. haha j/k.

I hope this doesn't come across wrong... I certainly don't mean it to be...

I have been riding bikes off and on almost my entire life... started out on a Yamaha 80 Enduro when I was in 2nd-Grade. In High School I rode a Yamaha 550. Yesterday I just bought a BMS 150 (scooter).

Accidents happen, yes. And it's true that SOMETIMES you (the rider) just zone-out for a minute. What happened was clearly NOT your fault.

But having said that, it was still something you could have prevented or at least mitigated to a great deal had you been paying more attention to your mirrors and what was happening behind you.

I am not saying this to be a condemning jerk -- my wife was involved in a nearly-identical accident as yours but she was in a car. Neither of you are to blame.

I only write this in response to the argument that some would say you shouldn't ride bikes b/c of stuff like this... stuff that, even on a bike, we can prevent if we ride slower and/or pay more attention and react more pro-actively.

I also detest the "you shouldn't ride bikes, they are dangerous" argument b/c those same people are often the ones driving around in behemoth SUV's increasing the danger for everyone else but so proud of themselves for how safe THEY are themselves. Safety goes two ways -- you shouldn't be driving monster rigs if you don't actually need them, and if you do -- SLOW DOWN!!!

Anyways, yeah... sorry to hear about your accident though... it's a bummer that I'm sure is no fun to deal with... I've been involved in a few minor spills that were my fault but fortunately no major injury and I've learned a few key lessons.

I hope you recover well!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
For freeway? That might be wise. I need to practice though, I haven't ridden anything larger than a 650. Old Yamaha, nice bike. Perfect height for me.

I went straight from a 250 in the MC class to a Honda 750 Shadow Areo. I wished it was a bigger CC.

Going from a 650 to 750 wouldn't be any problem, thx

TJ

thx997303

imported post

Would the bike be bigger? I really don't know much about motorcycles.

The thing is I'm short. I would need the bike to sit lower. I don't if a 750 would be any taller than a 650, but then I guess I could always alter the ride height.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Would the bike be bigger? I really don't know much about motorcycles.

The thing is I'm short. I would need the bike to sit lower. I don't if a 750 would be any taller than a 650, but then I guess I could always alter the ride height.

It depends on the particular brand you go with. I rode Jareds Yamaha 920 and that was higher than the Shadow by a big noticeable difference.

TJ

bane

imported post

CC's aren't directly related to height of the bike. CC's is all about the power of the motor which can be accomodated for in different ways by different designers. For example, when I was looking at scooters yesterday I hopped on a 150 that was a tad too high for me. Later that day I hopped on a 260 that was just right.

My 600 in High School was the same height as my 150 that I bought yesterday.

Height and CC are not really related. Fuel efficiency, power, and CC's are.

thx997303

imported post

Well hold on, I don't know much about motorcycles true, but I know a few things about engines. CCs aren't power, they're about engine displacement. Really whether it's a single piston, or twin, and if it's a twin, the angle, those are the things that influence the size of the bike.:)

So many variables.

Of course I guess 100 cubic centimeters of engine size shouldn't make a huge difference.

Guess I just need to test em out eh?

MC license first.

Francis Marion

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Well hold on, I don't know much about motorcycles true, but I know a few things about engines. CCs aren't power, they're about engine size.

Hence the worry about the larger engine making the bike bigger. :)

Of course I guess 100 cubic centimeters of engine size shouldn't make a huge difference.

MC license first.
My 1100 CC Virago sat much lower than my 700cc Nighthawk. My 88ci (1450cc) Roadking sits only slightly higher after replacing the seat. Just shop around and start sitting on bikes to see what feel good. When you melt into the seat and the bikes magic starts infiltrating your veins buy it. Kind of like buying a pistol; buy the one that feels right.

thx997303

imported post

Fix your quote, I edited my post to be more accurate.:)

Yeah, I think you're right.

I absolutely love my father in law's bike. 1980 Yamaha 650

I know, too small, but the thing is the perfect height for me, and looks great.

bane

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Well hold on, I don't know much about motorcycles true, but I know a few things about engines. CCs aren't power, they're about engine displacement. Really whether it's a single piston, or twin, and if it's a twin, the angle, those are the things that influence the size of the bike.:)

So many variables.

MC license first.

Actually I wasn't trying to imply that CC's *DIRECTLY* relate to power... only that there *IS* a relation. Of course, CC refers to a measure of the engine's cubic capacity and as such doesn't DIRECTLY reflect power but certainly has an influence on it. It, however, does not have an influence on HEIGHT of the total machine since the displacement of the engine can be pushed in any number of directions depending on the engineer -- that's all I was saying.

Yes, testing each one out to see how it "fits" you is really the best way to go.

You *COULD* get your MC license first, but why??? From what I understand only about 20% of riders in Utah are even licensed at all. I would say get your bike, while you are shopping work on getting the written test out of the way -- if you happen to get your bike prior to the test, no biggie. If you don't, even better.

To get your ACTUAL endorsement you're going to have to show up with a bike in-hand anyways... so you might as well start looking now.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

bane wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

So many variables.

MC license first.

Actually I wasn't trying to imply that CC's *DIRECTLY* relate to power... only that there *IS* a relation. Of course, CC refers to a measure of the engine's cubic capacity and as such doesn't DIRECTLY reflect power but certainly has an influence on it. It, however, does not have an influence on HEIGHT of the total machine since the displacement of the engine can be pushed in any number of directions depending on the engineer -- that's all I was saying.

Yes, testing each one out to see how it "fits" you is really the best way to go.

You *COULD* get your MC license first, but why??? From what I understand only about 20% of riders in Utah are even licensed at all. I would say get your bike, while you are shopping work on getting the written test out of the way -- if you happen to get your bike prior to the test, no biggie. If you don't, even better.

To get your ACTUAL endorsement you're going to have to show up with a bike in-hand anyways... so you might as well start looking now.

I went thru the class on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, Had my license in my hand on Tuesday I believe. But I was one on last people that was "Grandfathered" when the new tier system for MC licenses.

http://www.dmv.org/ut-utah/motorcycle-license.php

Driver License Division (DLD) to legally ride a motorcycle. If you already have a Class D driver license for regular passenger vehicles, you will need only a motorcycle (M) endorsement.

As of July 1, 2008, House Bill 72S1 repealed all M class licenses. New rules are now in place that require motorcycle riders to be restricted to riding a motorcycle based on the cc size of the motorcycle they are tested on. The three restrictions are:

• O = 90 cc or lower motorcycle
  • 2 = 249 cc or lower motorcycle
  • 3 = 649 cc or lower motorcycle
If you are tested on a motorcycle of 650 cc or greater, there will be no restrictions. You will be able to ride any size motorcycle.

thx997303

imported post

I understand Bane, like I said Too many variables.

That's good about the tiered system, well not that the system is good, but that if I test on a 750, I'll be able to tide any bike I want.

I would like to test drive the bikes, that's why I want my endorsement first.

That way I can rent them and take 'em for a nice long test ride.

Fun stuff that way.:)

Francis Marion

imported post

I recommend picking up a used bike first. One that you won't mind too much if you lay it down. 'Cause they say, "There are two type of riders, those who have laid it down and those who will."

It may have changed but, when I got my M endorcement some 15 yrs or so ago, the law said you could ride a MC without the endorcement (just not on highways) for a resonable period of time. This was to allow people to learn to ride before taking the test.

thx997303

imported post

It'd be nice if that was the case.

I have ridden motorcycles before. I have laid one down, but that was in loose gravel doing an emergency stop. On a dirt bike. Going 50. Ouch.

bane

imported post

Francis Marion wrote:
I recommend picking up a used bike first. One that you won't mind too much if you lay it down. 'Cause they say, "There are two type of riders, those who have laid it down and those who will."

It may have changed but, when I got my M endorcement some 15 yrs or so ago, the law said you could ride a MC without the endorcement (just not on highways) for a resonable period of time. This was to allow people to learn to ride before taking the test.

Boy ain't that the truth... I laid my bike down twice in the first 6 months or so when I was first learning to drive on the roads (I grew up driving on dirt but hadn't really driven on the roads until I was ~18). Fortunately nothing serious... a broken mirror and gear lever and a burned girlfriend's leg (well, that was moderately serious but she healed nicely... our relationship didn't though) :)

I'm not sure if you are technically allowed to drive around without at least a learner's permit anymore since you don't need to know how to drive to take the written test for the permit. I also spoke with 2 different salesmen on Saturday about this very issue. They said that technically I wasn't supposed to be driving it off the lot without my endorsement but that they could let me test drive it on the nearby not-busy roads without any problems. One guy also told me he knows TONS of guys that have been driving without their endorsement and the PD really doesn't hassle them about it, just tells them to go get it. That's where I got the 20% stat I cited. One guy said he's been driving for years without his. The other guy said he once sold a bike to one of the actual endorsement testers that works at the DL division and that guy didn't even have HIS permit. He said he still sold the bike to the guy and the guy still drove it away.

TJ/THX: Yeah, I forgot about the class thing that lets you use their bikes to get your license. I also didn't realize you could rent bikes with just a learner's permit. In that case (to rent a few bikes), I see your point.