• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harassed by employ at Prince William County Landfill

possumboy

imported post

After this happened, I called a supervisor. The details of the encounter are in the followup email.

The supervisor was very professional and is currently handling the situation in a manner that I approve of.

Here is the followup email:

Thank you for your time on the phone earlier today (7/21/2008).

For a recap of my interaction with Ed.

I was at the landfill today dropping off recycling and saw someone in the battery return area. I had misunderstood the fact that I can drop household batteries off any day; for some reason I was thinking Wednesdays.

After he confirmed that I could drop them off any day, he asked me a question. I did not understand the question and said “Excuse me.”

He then asked “Are you an officer?”
I said “No”
Ed: “Why do have that gun?”
Me: “Just for personal protection.”
Ed: “I’m not going to do anything but it is illegal on county property.”
Me: “No it is not.”
Ed: “I’m not going to argue with you, but it is illegal.”

At this point, I knew he was misinformed and I just asked for his name.

He told me his name was Ed, and gave me some title – he was talking a little fast (faster than earlier) and I have a hearing problem.

As I was leaving, another employee, a woman, asked if I was going to hurt Ed with my gun. I found this very offensive.

When I was leaving, I flipped around to the little building and asked for the contact information for the supervisor which is how I received your card.

After that I called you.

Attached is a pamphlet about Opencarry in VA. There are a few changes that went into effect on 7/1/2008. Preemption § 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915) has not changed.

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.

(1987, c. 629, § 15.1-29.15; 1988, c. 392; 1997, cc. 550, 587; 2002, c. 484; 2003, c. 943; 2004, cc. 837, 923.)

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

possumboy

imported post

Her Reply (dividing up for better readability):

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have had a short discussion about it with my boss and we plan to take a closer look at the situation and possibly address it in a future staff meeting. I have spoken with Ed and he understands the situation. We will review the resources and references you included in your email and we will determine the best course of action.

Again, thank you for your input.

possumboy

imported post

My reply to her email:

That you for looking into this situation.

I believe that it would be a great idea to make the staff aware there is no law against open carry of a firearm, and the county is prevented by state law from enacting any codes that prevent open carry or concealed carry with permit of firearm. Making the staff aware of this will prevent any misunderstandings in the future. I also do not know if Ed thought it was illegal or if it was just personal opinion. Either way, he was unprofessional to argue with a customer when he was wrong. It is a waste of county resources to have to deal with a situation that no law was being broken.

I look forward to hearing updates from you on how the situation is being handled, and what steps will prevent this from happening in the future.

Thank you,

1st freedom

imported post

Hey Poss,

I make a trip to the landfill every Sunday, have been for the past 3 or 4 years. I, as usual have always OC'ed my full size 1911 and have never had a negative response from anyone, patron or employee.This encounter surprises me. I have had conversations with others regarding OC, but never negative.

I think you handled it the right way by getting names and contacting the supervisor. Please keep us apprised of the outcome.

possumboy

imported post

1st freedom wrote:
Hey Poss,

I make a trip to the landfill every Sunday, have been for the past 3 or 4 years. I, as usual have always OC'ed my full size 1911 and have never had a negative response from anyone, patron or employee.This encounter surprises me. I have had conversations with others regarding OC, but never negative.

I think you handled it the right way by getting names and contacting the supervisor. Please keep us apprised of the outcome.

I've been going there for about six years now and OC'ing since 7/1/2004. This was my first encounter there also.

Besides a few people asking me about it and I explain that OC is legal - well not illegal. Many who only CC because they didn't know they could OC. I have converted a few - but I encourage exercising the right to carry OC or CC. If they are not comfortable OC'ing, I do not push it. Just offer to meet them for a few dinners and some "safe" places.

I started OC'ing on my own, it wasn't easy. The landfill was one of the first places I OC'ed! This was before I knew about VCDL and before OCDO existed.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Possumboy,

Well done!

Your plan to provide Ed-ucation for all of the employees at the landfill is excellent. Your handling of the stupid question the lady asked was spot on - By not commenting, you left her question hanging in the wind.

stay safe.

skidmark

AlabamaFamilyMan

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Possumboy,

Well done!

Your plan to provide Ed-ucation for all of the employees at the landfill is excellent. Your handling of the stupid question the lady asked was spot on - By not commenting, you left her question hanging in the wind.

stay safe.

skidmark
Just a thought, perhaps you could have asked her "Are you planning to run me down with your car when I try to leave? Just because you have a car? ;)

AlabamaFamilyMan

possumboy

imported post

I received the ideal resolution. This is the email from Thomas Smith the Solid Waste Division Chief.

"I am following up on the incident you had with employees at the landfill last month in regards to carrying a gun. Our employees where misinformed and misinterpreted the County employee rule for not allowing carrying of weapons of any kind and applied this rule incorrectly to citizens and customers using the landfill. I apologize for the incident.

I have received clarification on the law on this matter, and have already talked to Ed and his supervisors to clarify the laws and rights of citizens. I will be discussing this issue with all solid waste employees during our mandatory safety meetings next month, and issuing a memo to all employees clearing informing them of the rights of individuals to carry a firearm.

If you have any questions or want to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at anytime. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention."

mailto:tsmith@pwcgov.org

possumboy

imported post

My reply:

Mr. Smith,

Thank you for your action in this manner.

Your quick response and willingness to resolve this issue is one of the reasons I am happy I decided to move to Prince William County.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Applause for Thomas Smith the Solid Waste Division Chief for a quick follow-up and a job well done and for the OP as well for following up on this and protecting his rights and the rights of those who will follow.