• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brunswick VA Here,

Morbid

imported post

Hey everyone I'm from Brunswick VA, SOVA as some would say lol, i have not seen many people on here from SOVA I wonder are y'all out there, i don't wanna feel alone down here lol, and i don't see many people OCing in my county, I carry a weapon OC on my job everyday, but i feel a little weird doing it as a civilian, i have read allot of the post on this web site regarding OC in va i have to say i like what i see. I have lived in VA my whole life and I've always seen this state as one of the best to own a firearm, i wish to bring to lite in my county that OC is completely legal. I have no CCW permit and don't really plain on getting one soon, i have thought about it, but i feel that it is my rite to OC i should be able to do it for free instead of for 50$ so my state can make a little change on the side at the expense of my rite's. I know some of you may think a little differently than me. I wish to know your comments so please let me know, if you have any advice for me or have something wrong with what i said please let me know...

[line]Friend: Why do you own a gun?
Me: Why shouldn't I?
Friend: Do you feel the whole world is out to get you?
Me: No but i want to be prepared if they come.
Friend: hahaha yea i can see that, but don't you think it's just asking for trouble?
Me: It may be but would you rather be ready for trouble then not to be?
Friend: I have my hands to defend myself from people.
Me: Can your hands stop a bullet?
Friend: No, But your gun can't stop a bullet either.
Me: Your rite but if that bullet doesn't put me down you better believe mine will put them down.

Springfield XD 45cal ACP, 5" 2 Mags 10+1 Hornady 185gr JHP/XTP... Muzzel Velocity 970fps....

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Morbid wrote:
Hey everyone I'm from Brunswick VA, SOVA as some would say lol, i have not seen many people on here from SOVA I wonder are y'all out there, i don't wanna feel alone down here lol, and i don't see many people OCing in my county I wish to know your comments so please let me know, if you have any advice for me
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/730330-post50.html

The first time OC-er's giude and map. :lol::celebrate

PS - Welcome to OCDO! Newbie buys the beer and ammo - mine is Shiner Bock and 200gr .45acp. See the map above for where to find them.

Also - slow down and take a breath once in a while. When you take a breath, type a "." When you take a deep breath, start a new paragraph. I'm not trying to be the Grammer Nazi, but reading stream-of-consciousness is hard on the eyes and the brain.

Like it or not, you are judged on this board by how you write. Most folks do not want to be thought of as a high school sophomore. From your statement about OC-ing on your job, I'd guess you work private security. BTDT myself. From personal experience I know that you need all the respect you can get from folks when trying to do that kind of work. Writing like a gushing teenager is not going to get you respect.

stay safe.

skidmark

Morbid

imported post

Actually I work as an MP and my grammar is not very good, not enough days actually spent in school to care to learn it. No offense but just be glad i can spell well enough lol.

Thanks for the info and i will try to write future post in a more friendly way for everyone.

Your rite it does seem like a teenager wrote it lol mostly because i guess in some ways i still am.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Morbid wrote:
Actually I work as an MP and my grammar is not very good, not enough days actually spent in school to care to learn it. No offense but just be glad i can spell well enough lol.

Thanks for the info and i will try to write future post in a more friendly way for everyone.

Your rite it does seem like a teenager wrote it lol mostly because i guess in some ways i still am.

"skidmark" is actually giving you good advice. The last I did this to someone (and I was being respectful), I got blasted a little bit.

Writing well is extremely important for a number of reasons, and will serve you to your advantage on this or any other forum because it lends credibility to your position and argument.

BTW, one of the most common mistakes I see is the use of the possessive personal pronoun "your" when the writer is using it in place of the contraction, "you're". Also, "rite" is not the correct spelling for "right".

Hope you take this all in good faith because that is how it is intended. Welcome aboard and may you learn and sharemuch.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

When we want to "speak" loudly, we do so in all caps. IT BRINGS ATTENTION TO THOSE WORDS! Breaking up long streams of thoughts into smaller bits does add greatly to the readability too.

Ocing is just a matter of getting used to it personally. The more you do it, the more comfortable you shall become with the act. When you are extremely self-conscience this is communicated to those you meet and nervousness is contagious. The more self confident/assured you are, the more comfortable most people will be with seeing you with a weapon -IMHO.

BTW - thank you for your service.

Yata hey

SouthernBoy

imported post

Morbid wrote:

I forgot to add that you should be commended on your mature and pleasant response to helpful advice. Some aren't so amenable. Good for you.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Morbid wrote:

I forgot to add that you should be commended on your mature and pleasant response to helpful advice. Some aren't so amenable. Good for you.
+1

"Some aren't so amenable" is an understatement.:)

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Now that we know you are an MP, and that you have a mind between your ears, we need to help you find some other OC-ers so you can spread the word.

If you are in Brunswick, you are not that far from the folks who do the tidewater OC dinners. Per http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/12892.htmlthe next Tidewater OC dinner is Thursday 7/31 @ 1900 hrs @ Vinney's. You will need to contact them to find out where Vinney's is.

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

skidmark wrote:
Now that we know you are an MP, and that you have a mind between your ears, we need to help you find some other OC-ers so you can spread the word.

If you are in Brunswick, you are not that far from the folks who do the tidewater OC dinners.

Hey Morbid you have passed the skidpad test! :lol:

Take his suggestion if you can and join them for dinner.

Yata hey

Obviously a posting problem! This is NOT the way I typed this nor previewed it!

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have open carried in South Hill a bunch. Wal Mart, Dominoes, Food Lion, Quick Stop, and the Sprint Store that had an on duty South Hill Police Officer there. No problems.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Morbid wrote:

+1

Yata hey
True, but this gentleman did just fine.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Morbid wrote:

+1

Yata hey
True, but this gentleman did just fine.
Yes he did - I was giving him credit not detracting from his remarks. Only acknowledging that others have not always been so gracious.

Yata hey

Morbid

imported post

I am glad it didn't come off as me being rude i wasn't trying for that.

I am well aware that my grammar is not very good, i find it is not something i work on very much. Because i don't use it very much. There is little that is written anymore and i don't use writing in my work. Except on a summons and most of the time there is not much writing involved. Just checking a few boxes, and most of the stuff is spelled out for you..... Ya know idiot proof lol. When it comes to actually writing a report well there is no actual writing involved. It is all done on computer's that auto spell checks you. So there is not much reason to work on it.

I have been recently for past two weeks open carrying and i haven't had any problems, I like to eat at the same place to local LEO eat and I was in there the other night and they saw me said hello and never paid me any mind after that, the realized i was carrying but said nothing about it or even looked liked they cared.

I think it's just because of the county i live in, everyone here is used to the guys riding around with gun racks in the back window's or the hunter's.

I have realized i use most of my weapon's training when i am just out n about, for instance's always keeping my strong side away from people and always standing in a ready position, keeping my hands free and close to my side's, i find i am doing the same exact thing i do when i am working, which there is nothing wrong with that. I think being ready for anything is a good way to act.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Morbid wrote:
I am glad it didn't come off as me being rude i wasn't trying for that.

I am well aware that my grammar is not very good, i find it is not something i work on very much. Because i don't use it very much. There is little that is written anymore and i don't use writing in my work. Except on a summons and most of the time there is not much writing involved. Just checking a few boxes, and most of the stuff is spelled out for you..... Ya know idiot proof lol. When it comes to actually writing a report well there is no actual writing involved. It is all done on computer's that auto spell checks you. So there is not much reason to work on it.

I have been recently for past two weeks open carrying and i haven't had any problems, I like to eat at the same place to local LEO eat and I was in there the other night and they saw me said hello and never paid me any mind after that, the realized i was carrying but said nothing about it or even looked liked they cared.

I think it's just because of the county i live in, everyone here is used to the guys riding around with gun racks in the back window's or the hunter's.

I have realized i use most of my weapon's training when i am just out n about, for instance's always keeping my strong side away from people and always standing in a ready position, keeping my hands free and close to my side's, i find i am doing the same exact thing i do when i am working, which there is nothing wrong with that. I think being ready for anything is a good way to act.
It is funny how this works. I've been CC'ing, with permit, since 1995 (I was the second person in Arlington County, where I lived at the time, to receive my CHP after the state went "shall issue" on July 1, 1995). And I have been OC'ing for one year this month, solely based upon the stories and encouragement from members on this site.

I find it's almost automatic to do what you have described in the section I bolded. I find myself doing this virtually without thinking about it. Shifting my stance angle or position when in a line waiting to pay or buy something, checking out who is around me and their demeanor, just being very aware and cognizant of what is going on in my vicinity and even within the place of business itself.

Carrying a firearm, especially open carrying it, puts you on a whole different platform and the more you are aware of things, the better off you'll be. Sounds like you're on the right path.