Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Idaho Citezens Defense League

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Eagle, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    639

    Post imported post

    It has been suggested that now is a good time to get our own official organization going. Mike can't possibly keep up with all the media stuff. We will need our own website/email address. We don't need a forum there nessesarily as we can continue to post here, but it would be a good place to post information about events we're hosting and issues in our state. This new organization should include the members of opencarry.org, boiseshooters.com, and other pro-second amendment groups active in Idaho.

    Who is willing to step forward and get a website going ASAP?

    Who is willing to be our official spokesperson (I'm assuming Saint will work for now until we better organized and appoint a permanent person.)


    I know you guys were talking awhile back about starting this up. Nows the time to do it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    60

    Post imported post

    If we only had an Asia guy that knew computers....

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kaneohe Bay, HI USA
    Posts
    293

    Post imported post

    As soon as I get back from LA I'll ask my roommate about this. He is a OCDO member and owns a website design company... maybe he can throw something together for us.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boise, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    259

    Post imported post

    Navajo wrote:
    If we only had an Asia guy that knew computers....
    Yeah I don't know where we could find one of them...they are in short supply lately. I think it had something to do with salmonella. :celebrate

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boise, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    259

    Post imported post

    Oh and one other thing. Is it possible to have the group renamed if it is just us?

    I just don't like having the word "defense" in the title. That is exactly what is wrong with gun rights. All we do is defend. No battles have ever been won on the defensive.

    Maybe...Idaho Firearms Association or something?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    60

    Post imported post

    Any name with "Bunch" is not acceptable either.



    And "Citezens" will have to go, unless we want to pose as some kind of French group....

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Eagle, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    639

    Post imported post

    ROFL
    Ya, I'm tired and can't spell Sue me.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kaneohe Bay, HI USA
    Posts
    293

    Post imported post

    BrianEMT wrote:
    Oh and one other thing. Is it possible to have the group renamed if it is just us?

    I just don't like having the word "defense" in the title. That is exactly what is wrong with gun rights. All we do is defend. No battles have ever been won on the defensive.

    Maybe...Idaho Firearms Association or something?
    The thing about keeping the name as Idaho Citizens Defense League is that there are multiple other states with their own CDL including Virginia (where OCDO originated)

    It offers a air of legitimacy... however, if everyone wants to change the name to something else we can do that to. Something to be discussed at the saturday meeting

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Eagle, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    639

    Post imported post

    Personally, I think you guys have been planning on setting this up LONG before I joined the group. Call it what you want, I happen to agree with Saint and joining suit with the other states. Most importantly, lets focus on the issues, the name is secondary at best.

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , Illinois, USA
    Posts
    778

    Post imported post

    IndianaBoy79 wrote:
    Personally, I think you guys have been planning on setting this up LONG before I joined the group. Call it what you want, I happen to agree with Saint and joining suit with the other states. Most importantly, lets focus on the issues, the name is secondary at best.
    But it could matter down the road if you decide to form some kind of even loose association with other XCDL groups.

    OTOH, you might not want to be associated with them.

    You might look into an existing group and joining them and being their OC arm instead of a new group. You might even be able to take over an existing moribund organization that has some longevity but has done almost nothing and turn it into something useful.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    60

    Post imported post

    I don't of any morbid guns groups in Idaho...

    Everyone I am with is active, what can I say, we love our guns!:celebrate

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Caldwell, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    66

    Post imported post

    I agree, I think the phrase Citizens Defense League does sound reminiscent of Action Directe or PIRA orsome other wackoextremist group. Your appearance will be extreme enough when people see you and hear your message, a somewhat bland name may help keep people neutral until they hear what you have to say, which may just swing a few more people who are on the fence to our side, IMHO.

    As for small asian people... never mind, but I can help with some of the website stuff, if Saint's roommate isn't available I could throw something together. I can't do anything fancy, but in a pinch I can make something simple and professional looking.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boise, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    IndianaBoy79 wrote:
    It has been suggested that now is a good time to get our own official organization going. Mike can't possibly keep up with all the media stuff. We will need our own website/email address. We don't need a forum there nessesarily as we can continue to post here, but it would be a good place to post information about events we're hosting and issues in our state. This new organization should include the members of opencarry.org, boiseshooters.com, and other pro-second amendment groups active in Idaho.

    Who is willing to step forward and get a website going ASAP?

    Who is willing to be our official spokesperson (I'm assuming Saint will work for now until we better organized and appoint a permanent person.)


    I know you guys were talking awhile back about starting this up. Nows the time to do it.
    Personally, I think creating a website for a local OC chapter will not work in our best interest. this is why we have the OpenCarry.org site. why break it up??? I already visit a ton of MSG boards, and I don't feel like having to visit in another board, when we have one that serves our purpose.

    I prefer to keep it centralized here. just my 2 centavos.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Boise, Idaho, ,
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    Saint wrote:
    As soon as I get back from LA I'll ask my roommate about this. He is a OCDO member and owns a website design company... maybe he can throw something together for us.
    Saint, thanks for volunteering me. You are so generous.

    I have another function during the time of the Saturday meeting, but would be potentially interested in setting up a website for the group. I agree that we probably shouldn't add a forum as their are already plenty of those, but instead have a main site for press contacts, membership info, about, etc.



  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , Illinois, USA
    Posts
    778

    Post imported post

    563 wrote:
    Personally, I think creating a website for a local OC chapter will not work in our best interest. this is why we have the OpenCarry.org site. why break it up??? I already visit a ton of MSG boards, and I don't feel like having to visit in another board, when we have one that serves our purpose.

    I prefer to keep it centralized here. just my 2 centavos.


    I would point out that as an organization, it is important to maintain direct control of your primary public means of disseminating information. I do not expect OCDO to go the way of PDO, but the similarities in what happened at PDO are eerily similar. It would be bad form to wake up one day and find OCDO just gone and no word from the site owner, nothing, and no way to retrieve the message or user database.

    At some point your organizationwill want/need, and should have, control over their own forum. No reason there cannot be links between them, but you will want your own.


    <added> If you do decide to get your own site, you might want to see if there is some way you can mirror the Idaho and other sectionsof interest ofthis site to your new site (with john and mike's blessings of course) just in case OCDO does disappear one day. you might one day appreciate just how the organization came to be. I would also suggest keeping track of emails and such that are part of the startup, just because 20 or 30 years from now, new membersmay findthe historyinteresting.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    caldwell, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    451

    Post imported post

    i dont think setting up a website is in our best interest also.. a small rinky dink website makes us look like (small timers) why would media want to interview
    (small timers).

    having a national website like opencarry.org is in our best interest..
    why would the media in idaho take us serious with loo hits on the local website a day. have u seen the media interview the founders of boiseshooters.com,
    that being said i will support the group if started...

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , Illinois, USA
    Posts
    778

    Post imported post

    Hiredgun30 wrote:
    i dont think setting up a website is in our best interest also.. a small rinky dink website makes us look like (small timers) why would media want to interview
    (small timers).

    having a national website like opencarry.org is in our best interest..
    why would the media in idaho take us serious with loo hits on the local website a day. have u seen the media interview the founders of boiseshooters.com,
    i sure havent
    Good point. If you have a site that is basically the work of a single person and has not been updated in 1 or 2 years (a couple of gun sites come to mind) it is not going to impress anyone.

    If you group is so small you can't sustain a website, you may well want to just stick it out here.

    I would point out that OCDO has a much narrower focus than the xCDL groups do.

    You might also want to archive posts that might be of interest if OCDO did vanish one day, just in self defense.

    Even if you decide to stay here, having a backup plan might make some sense just in case. If you start to depend on a web site for communicating with your members and it is gone one day, it could kill your group off.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Eagle, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    639

    Post imported post

    Maybe you guys are missing the point of this.... first of all, part of the why comes from this.

    "and get your selves a little web site going ASAP with contact info on it - I cannot keep up with akl the states" - Mike in a PM

    So, we need some kind of official contact. Remember, opencarry.org is not a group or a club, it is simply a meeting place for a much larger movement. As states have gotten active they have been able to take more responsibility for themselves and form their own groups. Mike and John can't speak about us, doesn't know our issues, or our laws and politics out here. That is for us to do.

    Many other states have started their own Citizens Defense League. I have spoken with several of the long active members of the Idaho forum about starting this same kind of group. The idea isn't to promote the open carry movement specifically, but to support all right, specifically gun rights. Yes, it will advocate for OC but also for other things. It will no longer just be "us". Sure, we can still meet here and talk. There won't be a forum at this site. Sure, boiseshooters can still meet there. But any event we do can be sponsored by this larger local group. It would give us an official voice (remember, we can't speak for opencarry.org) for all gun issues. We would be the Idaho Citizens Defense League that happens to have some members who are part of the OC movement. We would have an offical OC spokesperson with contact info. With more people, we have a larger voice.

    A lot of details to hash out, but that is what we will be discussing this Saturday. Come with an open mind.

    Saint, care to make some comments on this one?

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kaneohe Bay, HI USA
    Posts
    293

    Post imported post

    IndianaBoy79 wrote:
    Maybe you guys are missing the point of this.... first of all, part of the why comes from this.

    "and get your selves a little web site going ASAP with contact info on it - I cannot keep up with akl the states" - Mike in a PM

    So, we need some kind of official contact. Remember, opencarry.org is not a group or a club, it is simply a meeting place for a much larger movement. As states have gotten active they have been able to take more responsibility for themselves and form their own groups. Mike and John can't speak about us, doesn't know our issues, or our laws and politics out here. That is for us to do.

    Many other states have started their own Citizens Defense League. I have spoken with several of the long active members of the Idaho forum about starting this same kind of group. The idea isn't to promote the open carry movement specifically, but to support all right, specifically gun rights. Yes, it will advocate for OC but also for other things. It will no longer just be "us". Sure, we can still meet here and talk. There won't be a forum at this site. Sure, boiseshooters can still meet there. But any event we do can be sponsored by this larger local group. It would give us an official voice (remember, we can't speak for opencarry.org) for all gun issues. We would be the Idaho Citizens Defense League that happens to have some members who are part of the OC movement. We would have an offical OC spokesperson with contact info. With more people, we have a larger voice.

    A lot of details to hash out, but that is what we will be discussing this Saturday. Come with an open mind.

    Saint, care to make some comments on this one?
    I quite agree... was on the phone with Knaight for about a half hour this evening going over details and potential website incorporation.

    This entire thing is now going way beyond a simple "Open carry demonstration"

    We have an opportunity here to be the next big gun rights advocate group for Idaho. This means ALL forms of carry, not just OC. As such, I believe we should try to pull all gun owners in Idaho together, with the common purpose of protecting the rights of the citizens to keep and bear arms IN WHATEVER MANNER THEY SO CHOOSE.

    We need to stop thinking that this is just about a group of OCer's going out and making the news. Yes that is part of it. But the possibilities are so much greater.

    I look forward to hashing a lot of this out at the meeting on saturday. I hope to see many of you there.

    11 AM at Veritas Coffee Shop off of Chinden and Orchard. Feel free to carry using whatever method you so choose.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    caldwell, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    451

    Post imported post

    will anyone record the meeting so we can hear it on line.. i want to attend by i wont be able to get off early enough..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •