• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idaho OCDO meeting

Saint

imported post

DocWalker wrote:
I would also like to attend; I'm comming from Mountain Home and have to be back in Mountain Home before 5pm. I would like to get more involved since I seem to be the only person in Elmore County OCing. I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to you guys more at the zoo but they sold me tickets and I went in with my children. I think I caused a stire because I watched a few staff members run around and past me (probably looking for me) knowing someone with a pistol went in even though they held most of you outside. My Springfield XD40 was not to visable I guess becasue they walked by me a couple of times.:lol:

DocWalker
Excellent. Glad to hear we have some interest. I look forward to meeting some new people

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Who cares if they are OC or not? I thought the previous states that started this kind of a site were watching over firearm rights as a whole, watching bills go through legislation, giving our local people a voice. OC would be secondary to this. We would be the Idaho Citizens Defense League that happens to have some members that are active in the OC movement. Sure, it can sponsor events for our local OC stuff, but it gives us as gunowners one voice, to protect all forms of legal gun use.

Just my 2 cents...

From the Virginia Citizen's Defense League...

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] The Virginia Citizen's Defense League (VCDL) was founded in October 1994 as the Northern Virginia Citizens Defense League (NVCDL). The group experienced enormous growth in membership statewide and was incorporated as VCDL in May of 1998. VCDL is a non-partisan, grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians and, most importantly, the proposition that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental Human Right.

[/font]
Maybe you guys are missing the point of this.... first of all, part of the why comes from this.

"and get your selves a little web site going ASAP with contact info on it - I cannot keep up with akl the states" - Mike in a PM

So, we need some kind of official contact. Remember, opencarry.org is not a group or a club, it is simply a meeting place for a much larger movement. As states have gotten active they have been able to take more responsibility for themselves and form their own groups. Mike and John can't speak about us, doesn't know our issues, or our laws and politics out here. That is for us to do.

Many other states have started their own Citizens Defense League. I have spoken with several of the long active members of the Idaho forum about starting this same kind of group. The idea isn't to promote the open carry movement specifically, but to support all right, specifically gun rights. Yes, it will advocate for OC but also for other things. It will no longer just be "us". Sure, we can still meet here and talk. There won't be a forum at this site. Sure, boiseshooters can still meet there. But any event we do can be sponsored by this larger local group. It would give us an official voice (remember, we can't speak for opencarry.org) for all gun issues. We would be the Idaho Citizens Defense League that happens to have some members who are part of the OC movement. We would have an offical OC spokesperson with contact info. With more people, we have a larger voice.

A lot of details to hash out, but that is what we will be discussing this Saturday. Come with an open mind.

Saint, care to make some comments on this one?

Saint

imported post

Completely agree. I believe we need to set up our own website and get this off the ground. This movement is now far beyond the simple boundaries of OCDO and is moving to a point where we can potentially have great effect on the upcoming elections and legislation as relates to gun rights in Idaho. All we need to do is establish ourselves as a force to be reckoned with and put forth a legitimate front.

I would encourage anyone that can to try and make it to the meeting on Saturday. It will be a good chance to talk things out, discuss where we want to go, and determine a mode of operation.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Check out http://www.vcdl.org/

Virginia, West Virgina, Texas, Arizona, and several other states have there own CDL.

You can contact legislators, see current issues in their area, get information on local gun laws, etc. They send out email news letters once a month, emergency event emails, etc. It would be a lot of work to get where they are, but it would be worth it. They even have their own license plate! Just shows you what normal folks can do.

Blackfox

imported post

Sadly, i will not be able to attend, but i will be glad to give any input as needed, just keep me updated. I too agree that this is a natural and needed step now, at the current level that our group has obtained.
I have some graphic art abilities to help build the sites banners and layouts, can probably do other things as well ;)

Sorry I cant make it

imported post

Saint

this might be important, but on Veritas website, it says they just closed up shop. looks like for good!

Sad News We've decided to close Veritas. Effective immediately. Those who are close to us will easily guess some of the reasons and those of you far away will likely understand too. We are sad that Boise will now be poorer by one coffeehouse and one bookstore and we are sad that all the wonderful people who came in regularly will no longer be a part of our lives. Thank you all.

We would like to specifically thank:

Our friends and family for their unfailing support and encouragement. Thank you Doug for everything. Pam for helping us with the boys. Quinn for working so hard. Ditto Brandi and John. Kayla for your unfailing encouragement. Julie for you know what...and that other thing too. David and Marybeth. Brent and Aimee for buying so many books!

Our lovely customers for their constant patronage. Mike and Telara, we will miss you. Jay, thank you. LuLu and your wonderful parents! Ann. Mel. Steve (from BSU). And the other Steve (Iced Americano in a paper cup). Jack. Jennifer. Grad student from Boston. 16oz coffee with two shots guy. Vernon. Timmee. Melburg. The amazing musicians that played here. Karen. Sue. Hailey. Patrick. Bob. Liz. Grumpy, morning Mike. Kip. Deanna. Katy. Brandi's Mom. Thanks for coming in everyday Aaron. And all the rest of you who's names we don't know but who's smiles we remember. We only wish there were more of you!

Our vendors for the wonderful products they supplied. Aimonetto, your service is amazing. Barefoot, it was wonderful coffee. Eagle Coffee Roasting, thanks for all your efforts. Zeppole and Le Cafe, we love your food! Mike Sowers, thanks for the pottery. Sparkweb for keeping our IT working.

And a huge "Thank You" to Brandi for her faithful service, cheerful attitude and AMAZING barista skills. I will miss my lattes!

If you have any unfinished business with us, the phone is still connected and we will be answering it. 208-345-8670

Jared and Mandi.

http://www.veritasboise.com/blog.asp#bb180

Saint

imported post

IMPORTANT!

Veritas is unexpectedly shut down!

New location is Cobby's sandwhich shop on Chinden!

If you need aditional info or directions, PM me. I should have internet