• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

August Bowling Pin Match - Hinesville

Samuel Adams

imported post

WHERE: Mission Essential, Inc.,
918B Hollywood Dr. Hinesville, GA.

WHEN: Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 0900.

ENTRY FEE: $15 per shooter, includes range fee and targets. Handgun rentals and ammunition purchases are available.

FOR INFORMATION: Call 912-408-2006 or email missionessential@hotmail.com or brothers@coastalnow.net.

What is a Bowling Pin Match?

Bowling Pin Matches are fast paced, close range handgun competitions that place a premium on accuracy and reliable equipment and ammunition. We shoot the matches at used bowling pins from bowling alleys after they have reached the end of their useful life. The pins react randomly, particularly to off center hits. Thus accurate bullet placement is important. The sport originated as a demonstration of the effectiveness of Second Chance body armor. The owner of the company, Richard Davis, made a videotape in which he shot a handgun into body armor which he was wearing. To prove that he used live ammo and that the vest allowed him to recover quickly from the shot, he then shot several bowling pins off a table -- and the sport of bowling pin shooting was born!

Rules

Safety

Eye and ear protection is mandatory at all times on the range. The range safety officer calling the match will inspect the line prior to allowing anyone downrange to reset pins. All actions must be locked open and all magazines out of the guns. Once the line is called cold, no one may touch any firearm under any circumstance. The line must be called hot to remove a gun from the line. ALWAYS PRACTICE PROPER MUZZLE CONTROL. Anyone violating safety rules will be asked to leave and their money will not be refunded.

Reloading Magazines

Shooters are encouraged to reload magazines and speed loaders while the range is cold to speed the progression of the match. Obviously, you cannot handle or load firearms while the range is cold.

Capacity Restrictions

Magazines: Rim fire shooters can load to capacity. Center fire pistolshooters can load no more thansix roundsin eachmagazine in order to compete with revolver shooters.

Alibi Strings

Alibi strings are only reshot for range failures. If your table collapses during the string or there is a timer failure you may reshoot the string. Reliability of your firearm is part of the game and there are no reshoots for guns that jam or fail. You may change guns between strings as long as the gun you use conforms to the category you began the relay with.

Starting Position

Once shooters are given the command, "handle and load firearms," they may load rounds into chambers and cock hammers. Shooters start from a 45-degree angle to their body at the firing line.

Distance: 25 feet

Pin type

Five full size bowling pins for all calibers larger than .22 rim fire. six inch Bowling pin tops for rim fire.

Pin tables

36" to 40" high. Eight feet wide, four feet deep.

Pin spots

Pins are spotted 16 inches apart, twelve inches from the front edge of the table for pin tops, and for center fire calibers more powerful than .38 Special/9mm. Spots for 38 Special/9mm. and below are sixteen inches from the rear edge of the table.

Format

Matches are head-to-head. The first shooter to get all five pins ON THE GROUND OR BERM wins the round. Pins knocked over must be shot off the table and onto the ground. Tie tables are shot over. Each round is two out of three to advance. Either single or double elimination can be used. If double elimination, the final round should be three out of five.

Timing In

Each shooter shootstwo tables, of five pins per table, individually timed. The shooter'stimes are added together and averaged, and the first round match-ups are determined by qualifying times.

We learned a few things from last month's shoot in order to streamline things a bit.

Start

Referee's commands are typically "Shooters to the line", "Load and make ready.", "Ready on the left", "Ready on the right", and "Standby." Shooter's start position can be either be with gun touching the table, if there is a table, or with the gun pointed down at a 45 degree angle. When the referee's timer horn blows, the shooters commence firing until the referee announces either "Winner on the Left", "Winner on the right", or "Tie table".

Samuel Adams

imported post

Last week's Pin Shoot generated a $200 check that, at the time of this post, is en route to GCO courtesy of Josh Works and Mission Essential, Inc.

We are also planning another slow-fire shoot using paper targets. Plans are still pending.

officerjdc

imported post

I should be off that day. If that holds true I will be there for this match. I've been looking forward to the next bowling pin match eversince I shot inthe first one. I'm planning to use the lessons I learned from the first bowling pin match to betterprepare myself for this one.

Samuel Adams

imported post

officerjdc wrote:
I should be off that day. If that holds true I will be there for this match. I've been looking forward to the next bowling pin match eversince I shot inthe first one. I'm planning to use the lessons I learned from the first bowling pin match to betterprepare myself for this one.
Yup. Me too. :p

Samuel Adams

imported post

Nothing that I'm aware of Councellor. Perhaps you can arrange something after your class. I'll be working in a building without windows so think of me while you're having fun.