• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

car carry

Remo Williams

imported post

Iam confused as many people say diffrent things, thought i might as well get your guys opinion cause its probably closer to fact. so witha utah cfp i can open carry and conceal carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle on my person?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Yes. If you have a concealed firearm permit from any state, there is no restrictions on how you carry in your vehicle. (As long as it is not in your hand, pointed at somebody because they asked you for Grey Poupon.) :p

The only requirement is this. If you are stopped by Johnny Law in your vehicle, and you are a permit holder and have a concealed firearm, you must inform the officer that you are a lawful permit holder and have a concealed firearm in your possession.

Remo Williams

imported post

I thought so i just wanted to make sure as the CFP class instructor said it had to be concealed.

Cykaos

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Remo Williams wrote:
I thought so i just wanted to make sure as the CFP class instructor said it had to be concealed.
You can open carry in a car without a permit (some restrictions apply such as not in school zones and it has to be "utah unloaded"). All the permit does is ALLOW you to conceal, carry loaded, and carry in school zones. It does not require you to conceal.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

With all the false info that instructors are giving, I wonder if we should maintain a list of OC unfriendly instructors - kinda like the OC unfriendly/gun unfriendly business lists we maintain...

ETA: There probably aren't alot of instructors giving false info.. The thought just crossed my mind of calling out those who are giving false info...

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Remo Williams wrote:
Do you remember who your instructor was? Or have a copy of your application with his stamp?

Remo Williams

imported post

it was steven r. beckstead over at doug's. Even his handout says with cfp carryconcealed (the word concealed in underlined and bold face print) and loaded weapon in your car as long as it is in reach. i thought he was wrong but i just want to call him on it as i was not sure at the time.

finally found that post thing with the grey poupon. awesome.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
snip
The only requirement is this. If you are stopped by Johnny Law in your vehicle, and you are a permit holder and have a concealed firearm, you must inform the officer that you are a lawful permit holder and have a concealed firearm in your possession.

Just an OT comment....

Utah BCI's own website fails to properly state the requirements of R724-4-13. I sent them a note tonight suggesting a correction.... time will tell.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQ.html#2

You have stated it correctly!

swjr

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
snip

Just an OT comment....

Utah BCI's own website fails to properly state the requirements of R724-4-13. I sent them a note tonight suggesting a correction.... time will tell.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQ.html#2

You have stated it correctly!
Any word back from the BCI on correcting their misinformation? I'm just curious to see if they actually listen.