• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Add Walmart to the list...

G

imported post

Just got back from my trip to WallyWorld in Oak Harbor. Was carrying my SP101 about 3:30 position. Was approached by a fellow who addressed himself as Store Security, name was Steve Miller. He asked me if I was an undercover cop, I said no, just a private citizen. He asked me that I would have to disarm.I asked him for a card but said he didn't have one. Told me that I made some customers nervous and it was store policy no open carry though there is no sign on the store front?

He asked me politely if I would kindly disarm and leave my weapon in my car. I complied and continued shopping.

I did remind him if he was aware that it was corporate policy for the local stores to comply with perspected state laws? He basically ignored my questionand kept stated that it was store policy, no open carry....

All in all the encounter was civil and myself and the security fellow acted professional but I am still a bit miffed!

Dave

jbone

imported post

So strange! One of my co-workers OCed there a few weeks back with no issue. Wish these corporations would get their act together. Wasn’t there a thread somewhere OCDO that showeda positive gun policy from WAL-MART?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Unless some has already contacted the Walmart Security Chief for the area recently, I'll take point on this, get things clarified and get the policy information. Due to recent events at Sams & Walmart stores they may have made a change to their policy. For those that have his number let's not overwhelm him with calls. I'll update with a new thread as soon as I know something.

G

imported post

M1Gunr

Thanks for your assistance and I will be eagerly awaiting your thread on this matter. Been to the same store 3 times in the past oc'ing an never had a problem up until now...

Dave

Bear 45/70

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Unless some has already contacted the Walmart Security Chief for the area recently, I'll take point on this, get things clarified and get the policy information. Due to recent events at Sams & Walmart stores they may have made a change to their policy. For those that have his number let's not overwhelm him with calls. I'll update with a new thread as soon as I know something.

I was in the Shelton Walmart this AM and no problems. I would venture to guess that someone doesn't know that the rules are different for employees and customers.

Wal Mart Corp Security Chief,

Jason Schmidt

253-770-4399

He will give you the straght skinny and straighten out employees that are wrong.

compmanio365

imported post

Why does nobody ever ask to speak to someone in charge? Ultimately, the only person who has the authority to ask you to disarm or leave is the general manager of each store. I learned this with my little incident in the Puyallup Walmart; ran into an assistant manager who demanded I disarm or leave the store, asked to speak to his general manager. When I did the story suddenly changed, everything was peachy and OK. As I left the Walmart, the assistant manager was getting a dressing down from the general manager for how I was treated.

Get a final answer from someone in authority at the location, and then go from there.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

[align=left]Wal-Mart Gun Policy Saves New Mexico Woman's Life
Posted on Friday, August 26 @ 12:27:11 EDT by jeff

Ohioans have learned that Wal-Mart stores have consistently removed any "No Guns" signs posted by local management. Ohioans For Concealed Carry has learned that the majority of these signs are the result of local management being duped by "compliance kits" mailed out with the impression that the signs are required by law.

Wal-Mart corporate operations have repeatedly required every single sign to be taken down promptly when representatives or members of Ohioans For Concealed Carry have reported a rogue posting.

Wal-Mart's policy is made clear by this consistent behavior: Holstered firearms in possession of the law-abiding citizen are not prohibited in their stores.

A New Mexico woman is alive today thanks to the fact this policy is enforced nationwide with Wal-Mart.
New Mexico Wal-Mart shoppers who witnessed a woman being stabbed yesterday now understand why law-abiding gun owners desire a means to protect themselves, and in rare cases, others whose lives are in immediate danger with the imminent risk of death.

Friends of a woman whose name has not been released told Albuquerque (New Mexico) television stations that the injured woman recently obtained a useless restraining order against her ex-husband. While the restraining order tells us quite a bit about the situation, yet again it has proven to be a nearly useless tool for self-defense or prevention of violence.

Despite a court order to stay away from his ex-wife, a man entered a Wal-Mart store and attempted to kill her.

According to Tuscaloosa News, a man whose name has also not been released was in the New Mexico Wal-Mart when he came upon a domestic dispute where a man was repeatedly stabbing a woman.

The unknown man intervened, opening fire on the attacker, saving the life of the badly injured ex-wife.

The knife-wielding attacker died from his injuries.

From tuscaloosanews.com: [/align]
  1. Police spokeswoman Trish Hoffman said a witness told authorities that a man had been stabbing the woman inside the store when another man intervened and shot her attacker.

Hoffman said the stabbing appeared to stem from a domestic dispute. She did not know the relationship between the woman and the dead man, but friends of the woman told Albuquerque television stations that she had recently obtained a restraining order against her ex-husband.

"It looks like it's a possibility that the guy who shot the other man will be justified," Hoffman said. "From what witnesses are telling us, it corroborates his story that the male was stabbing the female and he intervened."
Had this poor woman been in a retail store that prohibited firearms for self protection, chances are the man who saved her life would have been turned away at the door, shopped elsewhere, or left his firearm elsewhere.

This woman is alive today because Wal-Mart has taken the high road and made the right decision that has resulted in one innocent woman's life being saved. We all owe a debt of gratitude both to Wal-Mart for bucking the politically correct “easy” decision, and the unknown individual whose life will never be the same after being forced to defend someone he didn’t know.

When most stores and managers are approached to remove their signs the first question they ask is "Why do you think you'd need a gun in here?" -- due to yesterday's unfortunate events we can point to a reason that nobody can deny.

The New Mexico Wal-Mart situation could happen anywhere, at any time, and to anyone of us, armed or not.

G

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:

I was in the Shelton Walmart this AM and no problems. I would venture to guess that someone doesn't know that the rules are different for employees and customers.

Jason Schmidt

253-770-4399

He will give you the straght skinny and straighten out employees that are wrong.

Is this Jason Schmidt fellow a regional Walmart Corp Security Chief or is he just representing the Tacoma Stores judging by the 253 area code? Wonder if he would have pull in my market which would be Oak Harbor?

Bear 45/70

imported post

Dukester wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:

Jason Schmidt

253-770-4399

Is this Jason Schmidt fellow a regional Walmart Corp Security Chief or is he just representing the Tacoma Stores judging by the 253 area code? Wonder if he would have pull in my market which would be Oak Harbor?
If he isn't he can surely hook you up with whoever you need to talk to. I was under the impression he was the guy for Washington state.

sharp

imported post

"He asked me if I was an undercover cop,"

First this appears to be a stupid question. How undercover can you be if your OCing?

Second I have noticed this statement on many posts here about being questioned while OCing. What the heck difference does it make? Are they going to make an announcement to all the employees, put a bulletin over the loudspeakers, "Attention, the man wearing the gun is actually a police officer. Don't be alarmed.".

Seriously, the customers or the employees are not going to all get that info so what ?, they're just going to say "Oh, ok then just checking". I personally think its all a smoke screen. Its only the guy who's talking to you that is worried/upset. And if he finds your a cop, well then "HE'S" now not bothered. Its an incredibly lame and stupid question. If the gun makes you nervous, then even the plain clothes cops should be asked to leave or keep it in their car. Its a waste of time question and not relevent IMO.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:

Jason Schmidt

253-770-4399

Called the # and it's invalid. Jason Schmidt is no longer in Washington but in Reno, Nv area.

BTW, the person that I spoke with stated to me that Firearms are NOT allowed UNLESS it has a Badge next to it.

Just got of the ph with a person @ 253-770-4399who did not want to ID himself and did NOT want to send out the Policy info and said that he " was not allowed to discuss company policy with somebody he doesn't know"

TJ

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Amazing... I said I would take point and make the necessary calls and there was no need for anyone to call at this time and get him overwhelmed with the same 50 questions. I already knew that number pointed folks at Customer Service for the Puyallup Walmart and is the reason I did not post the number at the time.

From the Idaho thread:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum20/13152-2.html
Posted: Fri Jul 11th, 2008 01:03 pm
New Update:

Just got another call from a Walmart employee in regards to my email complaint. the guys name is Dennis, I forgot his Job title already. but here is what he says.

Seems my email made the rounds of some of the Marketing managers, Tori (208-467-7313) and the Asset protection manager Toby (no number given).

Dennis informed me that they instructed the Managers in this store to abide by state law and to allow the legal carrying of Firearms. but Dennis went on to say that they discourage people from carrying firearms into walmart.

I mentioned that J.R. the store manager called me earlier to tell me they "do not allow firearms" Dennis told me he should not have told me that, as that goes agiasnt corporate policy, and the email sent down by the regional manager (tori) and asset protection manager (toby). and is confused as to why he told me that.

G

imported post

I just wish the whole corporation would get on the same page. They are either OC friendly or they are not. I just wish the Oak Harbor Store would have put a sign as you enter the store...

Dave

Bear 45/70

imported post

There is always somebody somewhere who gets it wrong, either too stupid to pay attention or thinks they have all the answers or thinks just because employees can't have guns, customers can't either. It doesn't matter how hard everyone else tries. So it'sthe kind of thing you just have to live with.

Metal_Monkey

imported post

Well first store I OCed was the Wallmart on 128th Street( off of highway 99th, Everett) No one said anything to me. No one got scared, everyone just went about buisness. Everett PD was circling the parking lot as I arrived and did nothing also. I also have a relative that works at the Marysville one, they don't care if you OC there from what I hear, but it is on Indian Land... I have no clue what carry laws are on reservation land. Anyone know?

Bear 45/70

imported post

Metal_Monkey wrote:
Well first store I OCed was the Wallmart on 128th Street( off of highway 99th, Everett) No one said anything to me. No one got scared, everyone just went about buisness. Everett PD was circling the parking lot as I arrived and did nothing also. I also have a relative that works at the Marysville one, they don't care if you OC there from what I hear, but it is on Indian Land... I have no clue what carry laws are on reservation land. Anyone know?
For non-indians the carry laws are the same as the rest of the state.