• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First encounter with police while open carrying

mpg9999

imported post

Going to Arbys to get some food. I noticed some state trooper cruisers in the parking lot. I'm usually pretty confident while open carrying, but I was a bit nervous this time. When I walked in there were two troopers sitting down eating. When I passed them I smiled and said hi. My gun was on my far side, so I doubt they saw it at that point. Before I had ordered a Sherrifs deputy walks in and gets in line behind me. Theres no way he couldn't notice, but he didnt say anything. A little kid actually came up to him and started talking to him, and said his dad wasa cop. I heard the kid say "both of them are cops!", talking about me. I wasnt part of the conversation so I didn't want to jump in and correct him.

Later on I was refilling my drink and one of the troopers was behind me, so he of course had to notice. After I finished he said hi and I said hi back, and that was it. I went to walmart afterwords, and there was another sherrifts deputy there, right behind me as we entered. Not a word or angry stare from him either. Its nice to know that law enforcement down here is educated on the issue, professional, and not out there enforcing opinions.

On an unrelated note, does anyone have a 7.62 x 51 field gauge?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Isn't it grand when absolutely nothing happens?!

stay safe.

skidmark

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Glad it went well. 98% of my contacts, going back 30 years or so, are just like that. State troopers are a notch above other LE as a rule. I've only met 2 troopers that will get congratulations on being terminally ill, cards from me.

Depending on the Sheriffs or Police department, you should have no problems. My experience is, the bigger the department, the more stupid the officers.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Metro Transit Police, tonite around 6pm. Parking lot @ Van Dorn Metro. If the officer had been paying attention, they could not have missed it. Nothing. I carry there while picking up the wife, every day. Always out of the car when she arrives. Many OC's in West Alexandria-East Fx. Co. Non-events.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I look forward to the day when every post about OC is like the OP. Just thread after thread from all 50 states reading: OC'd today, saw several LEOs, they said just said hi and we all went on with our day. Wouldn't that be wonderful.

Great job just calmly going about your business mpg9999.

Glock27Bill

imported post

DoubleR wrote:
Metro Transit Police, tonite around 6pm. Parking lot @ Van Dorn Metro. If the officer had been paying attention, they could not have missed it. Nothing. I carry there while picking up the wife, every day. Always out of the car when she arrives. Many OC's in West Alexandria-East Fx. Co. Non-events.

Good job on taking care of your wife like that.

There have been issues out my way by the Dunn Loring Metro, a few women being attacked.

I'm convinced that the bad guys know that folks coming out of the Metro may well be coming from work at DC, and are totally defenseless.