• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No OC at Department of Licensing?

neddis

imported post

So, is the DoL a place that is leagl to OC according to state law? I can't find anywhere in the laws that say otherwise.

I live in OR, but needed to go to the WA DoL. Vagueness is intentional. :dude:

edited....because I wanted to.

just_a_car

imported post

I've OC'd at the DOL in Lynnwood on HWY 99 for about half an hour and sat up front so everyone could see... then stood in the center stall with it still easy to see, then got my picture taken (for my DL) with my strong side towards everyone.

No comments, no freakouts, no cops... oh, and I checked, no signs saying you can't carry firearms in. But there was one that said no food or drinks so I had to chug my Coke Zero 20 oz. before going in. :lol:

neddis

imported post

Ok, that's what I thought. :)

I went to the DoL in Kennewick today (why you ask? long story regarding my WA CPL) with my brand new uncle mike's pancake holster. I came in the door, grabbed a number and then went to the restroom. I came out, sat down, and waited. Within a minute or two A DoL employee walked from the front counter, to the back of the waiting area, behind me and then back to the front counter. I knew at that point that I was going to get a 'talk'. As soon as she got to the front counter, another woman joined her and they both walked around the waiting area and behind me. The other woman came up and introduced herself as the district manager and said she would like to speak with me outside.

Both ladies came outside with me and she gave me the "Do you have a CPL?" line and I informed her that I did not have one but preferred to open carry anyway. She informed me that I had to have a permit to carry a gun. I gently corrected her and offered to show her the Washington State firearms laws (have a copy in my car from Kitsap Co. Sheriff Office). She declined and asked me again to put the gun in my car because I was making the employees uncomfortable. I gave her kindof a funny look so she said that she would get me right in and out of there because she understood that I didn't want to just leave it in my car. I had a friend with me and so I took the gun to the car and left him there with it (yeah, he's over 21).

When I came back inside, she took me right to the front desk, got me my driving record and I was out the door in about 60 seconds. She did NOT want me in there any longer than I had to be. :) I have to admit that she was very professional and friendly, even though she really wanted me gone. I tried to have a friendly conversation with her, but she was pretty non-responsive, but still professional. Plus, I got to skip about 20 people to the front of the line. Anyway, I don't think we can realistically add the Kennewick DoL to the DNP list, but this is my first altercation regarding open carry so I had to post it. If it were a business, I probably would have left and gone elsewhere, but being the DoL, it's not really feasble to do so.

Bear 45/70

imported post

neddis wrote:

I went to the DoL in Kennewick today (why you ask? long story regarding my WA CPL) with my brand new uncle mike's pancake holster. I came in the door, grabbed a number and then went to the restroom. I came out, sat down, and waited. Within a minute or two A DoL employee walked from the front counter, to the back of the waiting area, behind me and then back to the front counter. I knew at that point that I was going to get a 'talk'. As soon as she got to the front counter, another woman joined her and they both walked around the waiting area and behind me. The other woman came up and introduced herself as the district manager and said she would like to speak with me outside.

Both ladies came outside with me and she gave me the "Do you have a CPL?" line and I informed her that I did not have one but preferred to open carry anyway. She informed me that I had to have a permit to carry a gun. I gently corrected her and offered to show her the Washington State firearms laws (have a copy in my car from Kitsap Co. Sheriff Office). She declined and asked me again to put the gun in my car because I was making the employees uncomfortable. I gave her kindof a funny look so she said that she would get me right in and out of there because she understood that I didn't want to just leave it in my car. I had a friend with me and so I took the gun to the car and left him there with it (yeah, he's over 21).

When I came back inside, she took me right to the front desk, got me my driving record and I was out the door in about 60 seconds. She did NOT want me in there any longer than I had to be. :) I have to admit that she was very professional and friendly, even though she really wanted me gone. I tried to have a friendly conversation with her, but she was pretty non-responsive, but still professional. Plus, I got to skip about 20 people to the front of the line. Anyway, I don't think we can realistically add the Kennewick DoL to the DNP list, but this is my first altercation regarding open carry so I had to post it. If it were a business, I probably would have left and gone elsewhere, but being the DoL, it's not really feasble to do so.
She is not only a poor manager but ignorant of the law. I would be contacting her supervisor if not the head of DOL and complain about your illegal treatment. The employees being uncomfortable is not your problem and doesn't allow them to violate the law.

amlevin

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
But there was one that said no food or drinks so I had to chug my Coke Zero 20 oz. before going in. :lol:

There are some that think sugar and/or caffeine loaded drinks are just as lethal as a gun. :uhoh:

I carry all the time I am in the DOL facility. I have to go and get an abstract of my record for my employer. What a waste of 1-1/2 hours.

Hammer

imported post

I find this funnier'n shit!
I'd always wanted to know how to go into the DOL and get quick service! Where I live, it's usually a half hour minimum!
You got the answer, and just stumbled on it!
Course, up here, the DOL may think they have better defense from the gangstas if there's an OCer in the midst! :what:

neddis wrote:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

DOL @ 64th & Yakima, Tacoma. No Issue carrying
DOL on 112th in Parkland (State Patrol Office) No Issue carrying
DOL @ Pierce County Annex Building, 2401 S. 35th St, Tacoma - No issue carrying

Since this was a Washington State agency she should be reminded of RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?Cite=9.41.300

John Hardin

imported post

Can you be trespassed from the office of a government agency? Or does that only apply to private property?

--
Obama_Bumper_Stickers_animated.gif

Gene Beasley

imported post

Renewed DL at the Federal Way DOL last week. Medium crowded; gave a WGR pamphlet to a younger guy that asked if I ever had a problem carrying like that. No problem or other comment. Staff was great.

Trigger Dr

imported post

When you left your gun with your friend in the car, Was it loaded? and if so did your friend have a CPL?

just_a_car

imported post

neddis wrote:
Unloaded and he has no CPL. I read the book. :)
That's good, but what that lady asked you to do was illegal. "please place it in the car" Did she ever say to unload it? Her superior should be giving her a minimum hour-long reaming for negligence and inappropriate conduct.

deanf

imported post

No, State, county and citieshave to follow state law and can not tresspass [sic] you.

Really? How do you know this for sure?

The cop can write you for whatever he thinks you violated and if he is wrong the procecutor [sic] or judge decides. That will be long after the cop has screwed your weekend trip into adiasater [sic] you will never forget.

I can see the manager of a state, county, or local facility asking you to leave for OC, and when you refuse, the cops being called to eject and trespass you. And said cops being happy to comply, regardless of a posting on this board that says they can't.

Tree huggers and other leftists are trespassed from government property all the time and convicted.

Phssthpok

imported post

I OC'd at the big 'new' DOL off Mill Plain in Vancouver just today to x-fer title on a car. I can't tell if it helped get better service or not as as the computer posted my ticket number before I even had it in my hand (it was THAT slow in there). I can say that I didn't notice anyone giving me any looks. Maybe the fact that theres a WSP inspection building not thirty paces away put them at ease.:quirky