• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What the *$&@ was he thinking?

Narcisist

imported post

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3834288

Motorist draws gun at 'Grey Poupon' question July 23rd, 2008 @ 5:02pm By Courtney Orton

When a car full of teenagers imitated an old mustard commercial made famous in the ‘80s, they got a response they never expected.
The response had the teens scared for their lives. They asked the driver of the car next to them at a stoplight in Murray if he had any Grey Poupon. He answered by pulling out a gun.
Most of us are familiar with the question: "Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?" That's thanks to a number of Grey Poupon commercials that aired on televisions across the country in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s.
The famous response "but of course" was not the response a car full of teenagers got when they asked that same question. The driver of the car next to them, 22-year-old Vitaly Kovtun, instead pulled out a gun.
Screenshot of '80s commercial "He racked the slide back and basically told the other kid, ‘Here's your Grey Poupon. Now, roll up your window,'" said Detective Kenny Bass, with the Murray City Police Department.
The teens jotted down the driver's license plate number, and Murray police arrested Kovtun. Police say he admitted he pulled out the gun.
"They were just goofing around, as teenagers do, just kind of playing a little joke. They didn't think it would be that big of a deal and [were] obviously scared to death when it happened," Bass said.
Detective Kenny Bass Kovtun, who holds a concealed weapons permit, has been charged with aggravated assault, a third-degree felony.
"It's a horrible idea. The idea behind the concealed weapons permit is strictly for your own safety, for your own defense, to defend yourself against a threat of death," Bass said.
We spoke to the department that issues concealed weapons permits. A representative told us, over the phone, Kovtun's permit will be suspended until there is a resolution in the case.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

This is the kind of moron for whom felony convictions and lifetime loss of RKBA were invented.

Sadly, I saw someone (not sure who or if they are a member of this list) over on the KSL comments board more or less defending him and open carry in context of this incident.

Unless the kids did a WHOLE LOT more than just ask a stupid question/joke about mustard, this guy needs to rot for a while.

I suppose it is possible--though hard to imagine at this point--that SOMETHING other than what is reported might have gone down that could have actually justified him pulling the gun (and then NOT reporting it right away).

But at this point, chalk him up to one of the 2 out of every 1,000 permit holders who does anything to lose a permit; and about 1 out of every 10,000 permit holders who actually commits a crime of violence with his gun.

Charles

SlimsBFG

imported post

Not to hijack this thread for another purpose, but the "statistics" quoted here made me wonder something. Is there a good place to find statistical information about gun violence (crimes) andaccidents (kid finds gun shoots self/other), etc...?

Would like to know all the things like the following examples:

1. How many guns get stolen and get used in another crime (kills someone)?

2. The number of minors that shoot themselves or others in a year?

a. How did they get the gun? (unsecured parents' gun, a friends gun, stolen, etc...)

3. How many disorderly conduct convictionshappen to CFP holders?

a. How many total DC citations are given for anything for that matter?

4. ETC...

Pretty much anything that has to do with guns in our nation as well anything that happens to CFP holders.I feel that most people that peruse this site and OC or CC a weapon, tend to be law abiding citizens that take a lot of crap from the media and anit-gun activists. We also cherish our nation and want to defend the values of our founding fathers. The old adage "a few rotten apples..." never has rung more true than now in our post 9/11 times! Do they feel threatened in some way, I mean, c'mon, what logical reason other than "fear of guns" could it be?

The problem I run into, is the media...All the negative comments I get are based on stories like the one the OP linked to here. Then I end up having to "explain" my beliefs and reasons to someone that believes there's no reason to carry a weapon, ever! This especially in a home with small toddlers. I feel if a kid ever got ahold of his parents gun, then that's negligence on the parents part and those parents should be held accountable for that!!!

If they can use the media for their statistics, there has (ought) to be a place where we can get our statistics to refute theirs! (If not, then we need to make one!)

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

SlimsBFG wrote:
Not to hijack this thread for another purpose, but the "statistics" quoted here made me wonder something. Is there a good place to find statistical information about gun violence (crimes) andaccidents (kid finds gun shoots self/other), etc...?
Locally, BCI publishes quarterly updates to stats involving permit holders. bci.gov.

They are not idea, but a good start. I'd like to see lot more detail on the exact nature of the crimes for which permits are revoked. And I'd love to see similar stats kept and published for POST certified sworn officers, school teachers, docs and other trusted groups.

As for the rest, John Spangler over at USSC <http://utahshootingsports.com/> is a treasure trove of such info if you can find him.

scorpioajr

imported post

Yea..i saw this in another thread here. Unreal. Again, im sure we don't have the WHOLE story, but it sure isn't looking good for this CCer with permit! ouch! like i said in the other thread - thats gonna leave a bad mark on us as OCers. Maybe we can do something for some good PR? or do you guys already do stuff like pick up trash or donate or ?

Id love to be apart of it.