• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Preferred Calibur for OC/CC?

When I OC/CC, I chamber:

Votes: 0 0.0%

• OTHER

• Total voters

thx997303

imported post

Um, that chart is stupid, Why the expletive would they include a rifle round?

Someone doesn't know jack. Not you of course, but someone.

Just some numbers I found. Federal FMJ rounds. Not +p

.380 = 190 ft-lbs

.38 spcl = 260 ft-lbs

9mm = 362 ft-lbs

.40 = 445 ft-lbs

.45 = 370 ft-lbs

So, the chart is off.

scorpioajr

imported post

thx997303 wrote:

Someone doesn't know jack. Not you of course, but someone.

Just some numbers I found. Federal FMJ rounds. Not +p

.380 = 190 ft-lbs

.38 spcl = 260 ft-lbs

9mm = 362 ft-lbs

.40 = 445 ft-lbs

.45 = 370 ft-lbs

So, the chart is off.
well THAT sucks. Somebody get me a chart...

:lol:

41 Magnum

imported post

I think they put 223 in the chart to illustrate the fact that handgun rounds SUCK as far asavailable energy is concerned. They're just a lot more convenient to carry than a rifle.

As for me, it's a 357 mag doing the honors.

As for 22lr, remember 2 things:

1. It's a killer, it kills more people than most other calibers per year. BUT: It's a poor stopper. They usually die hours later in a hospital, AFTER they've done damage to their victim.

2. IF you carry a 22, carry SOLIDS, not HP rounds. You're going to need all the penetration you can get.

Francis Marion

imported post

There's a lot more to my bullet decision making than foot-punds. I want my energy absorbed by the target and not the backstop. Sure, give me lots of force but, give me something that turns into .90 when it comes in contact with my target.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

I use the +P Spear Gold Dot Hollow Points alternated with Federal FMJ rounds in my clip. That way, I get two different types of rounds alternating as I fire for different types of penetration needs in a critical situation.

OCwith1911

imported post

I bought me a Walther p22 back in December and i feel very comfortable carrying it with me for defense. Don't get me wrong; a 9mm will stop someone in their tracks but im pretty sure If you were to unload a 22LR on someone it will stop them to. i can empty my 10 round clip + 1 in the chamber in 2 or so seconds. let me know what ya think.

xRapidDavex

imported post

OCwith1911 wrote:
I bought me a Walther p22 back in December and i feel very comfortable carrying it with me for defense. Don't get me wrong; a 9mm will stop someone in their tracks but im pretty sure If you were to unload a 22LR on someone it will stop them to. i can empty my 10 round clip + 1 in the chamber in 2 or so seconds. let me know what ya think.
I think you've seen something personally to make you think that .22 lr is enough. That's fine, its just not for me.

Personally I would rather have 8 .40 rounds than 11 .22 rounds.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Because it is not exclusively a rifle round. :p
full-oa-98.jpg