• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearm Appraiser

MadHatter66

imported post

Off topic of OC, but I was curious if anyone knows a decent appraiser here on the west side of the sound, or anywhere here in western washington. I have a 1911 that was given to me by my late grandfather in good condition, it is a Remington Rand model, and has a serial # that starts with 192. I know that the gun was made in 1944, and I have seen them go anywhere from $1000 to about $3000 online. I have done some research on it, but cannot really find much more. A few books I have looked at don't have the Remington Rand serials. If anyone knows of anyone that knows the 1911's I would greatly appriciate it. The funny thing is that it is the same gun that I still carry, and use all the time... 64 years old, and still works like the day that it came off the lines...

If anyone is interested in 1911's I can post pictures...

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

MadHatter66 wrote:
Off topic of OC, but I was curious if anyone knows a decent appraiser here on the west side of the sound, or anywhere here in western washington. I have a 1911 that was given to me by my late grandfather in good condition, it is a Remington Rand model, and has a serial # that starts with 192. I know that the gun was made in 1944, and I have seen them go anywhere from $1000 to about $3000 online. I have done some research on it, but cannot really find much more. A few books I have looked at don't have the Remington Rand serials. If anyone knows of anyone that knows the 1911's I would greatly appriciate it. The funny thing is that it is the same gun that I still carry, and use all the time... 64 years old, and still works like the day that it came off the lines...

If anyone is interested in 1911's I can post pictures...
YES! Post pictures. BTW, those old WWII USGI 1911's are worthless. I'll trade you my beater springfield for it, if you can make change....:p

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The crossed cannon "seal" in the second pic, from what I can tell, looks almost like or exactly like the Springfield Armory "seal" on my XD. Was/is there some relationship between the companies or is that not a company seal but instead have a different meaning? Also, is "Rand" a model name of a Remington or is Remington Rand a different company or subsidiary? Anyone up for giving us a little history lesson?

MadHatter66

imported post

The corssed cannons are indeed from the Springfield Armory, that much I do know... The Remington Rand Corp was a company that was helping with the war effort and making 1911's. The are in no way affiliated with Remington Arms Co.

Remington Rand (1927–1955) was an early American computer manufacturer, best known as the original maker of the UNIVAC I, and now part of Unisys. For a time, the word "univac" was recognized as a generic synonym for "computer". Remington Rand also made office equipment and electric shavers. The Remington Rand Building at 315 Park Avenue in New York City was a 20-floor skyscraper completed in 1911

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
The crossed cannon "seal" in the second pic, from what I can tell, looks almost like or exactly like the Springfield Armory "seal" on my XD. Was/is there some relationship between the companies or is that not a company seal but instead have a different meaning? Also, is "Rand" a model name of a Remington or is Remington Rand a different company or subsidiary? Anyone up for giving us a little history lesson?
The crossed cannon seal was a marking of the Original Springfield Armory as operated by the US Government. They no longer operate, and the logo is being used commercially now.