• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Masked man shot

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This was posted on concealedcarryforum.com

What really caught my attention is that the BG ran 400 yards away before he collapsed. They found a gunthe BG had. WHAT if he did not run, but continued theattacked?.... We do need the right gun for SD. Just because someone is shot does not mean the fight is over. Shot placement is important, but onecan't choose what they want to hit when they fire in SD.

Manheim early today.

One suspect, a 19-year-old Lancaster city man, was shot in the chest and died hours later at a local hospital.

The other fled on foot — without any loot — and is still at large.

Police did not identify any of the men.

The botched holdup occurred just after 5 this morning when two masked men dressed in black followed the operations manager of Power Pro Battery Company into his office at 210 S. Penn St., police said.

Knowing he was about to be robbed, the manager pulled out his own handgun, turned and fired twice, hitting one of the suspects in the wrist and chest just inside the front door of the building, police said.

The worker, whose name has not yet been released by police, then called his boss, John Roads. Related Topics
shooting (388) crime (2) attempted robbery (2)

"John, they tried to rob me," he said. "I shot somebody."

Both suspects fled east on foot, but the wounded robber collapsed about 400 yards away on West Stiegel Street, bleeding profusely from his chest.

Manheim Borough Police received word at 10:30 a.m. that the wounded robbery suspect had died. They did not release his name.

Police found a loaded TEC-9 semi-automatic handgun — a weapon that is rare yet increasing in popularity among criminals — nearby.

They also found baseball caps and a bandana, apparently worn by the two suspects.

Police were questioning the Power Pro Battery employee, whom they labeled a victim, this morning. They were also interviewing several other workers there.

"The victim has indicated to us that he acted in self-defense," Manheim Borough Police Chief Barry Weidman said.

"At this point it appears to be a robbery gone bad. We have no indication that it is any more than an attempted robbery."

Police marked off numerous pieces of evidence along the street early this morning. The southern end of Manheim is home to several businesses and several homes, as well as an elementary school, H.C. Burgard.

Bill Butler, 41, a resident of the 200 block of West Stiegel Street near the battery firm, said he was getting ready for work when he heard two gunshots. He looked out his guest-room window and saw two darkly dressed men running.

"I saw these two guys running about 20 feet apart," said Butler. "They were both dressed in black. One guy was behind the other, and he was going slower, and he was saying, 'Help me, he shot me.'"

Butler dialed 911.

Medical crews were dispatched to West Stiegel and Cherry streets at 5:25 a.m. Butler, a former Army medic who worked on an ambulance crew in West Virginia for 12 years, walked outside to help the wounded man.

"He had a sucking chest wound," said Butler.

Butler rode along with the Manheim Ambulance crew to Lancaster General Hospital. He said he held the wounded man's gloves over his wounds.

"He was conscious but fading. He said, 'I can't breathe,' and at one point he asked for his mother," said Butler. "It's something I've never seen before around here. I felt like I was back in the ambulance service."

Butler said the second robber fled north, through a brushy area between a building and parked trailers along the north side of West Stiegel Street.

Police launched a canine search but had not found the second suspect as of late this morning.

Roads said his worker, who was being questioned by borough police, had a license to carry the weapon. Police confirmed that.

Roads said the suspects were likely looking for cash and lying in wait for the operations manager to show up for work.

The company employs 14 people, including a team of drivers who carry cash to local junkyards to buy batteries. The firm reconditions the batteries for resale. Roads said employees for the firm have been robbed at least five times in its 10 years of existence.

The operations manager arrived for work shortly after 5 a.m. and parked his navy blue Chevrolet Avalanche along West Stiegel Street about 50 yards from Power Pro Battery.

Roads said the worker, sensing he was about to be robbed, intentionally left the business security system on so that it would trigger an alarm when the robbers entered. It did, and police were dispatched.

Roads added that there are surveillance cameras inside and outside the business, and that authorities are reviewing tapes.

compmanio365

imported post

About time the true victims in these cases gets labeled as such......it would be interesting to know what caliber the handgun was......whether it was FMJ or HP ammo, etc......

Orygunner

imported post

There's another news article with more information:

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/224858

It just says it was a small-caliber handgun he had in his pocket.

There's a couple of great quotes from the business owner, Roads:

"(The manager) had an angel in his pocket," Roads said, "and I can only hope that I would have been as lucky and as fortunate had it been me."
and

Roads said he has learned important lessons from the latest incident.

"A: You can never be too careful," Roads said. "And B: How would you like to live somewhere where you have no rights? The system works, we believe in the system, and thank God for our system."
Yes. Yes the system can work.

...But only where allowed by law :(...
...Orygunner...

MetalChris

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
Butler rode along with the Manheim Ambulance crew to Lancaster General Hospital. He said he held the wounded man's gloves over his wounds.

"He was conscious but fading. He said, 'I can't breathe,' and at one point he asked for his mother," said Butler. "It's something I've never seen before around here. I felt like I was back in the ambulance service."
I know most of us here like to act all macho and stuff, but what if you shot someone, stopped thethreat,and had to deal with something like this. I think it'd have a huge impact on anyone listening to the dyingthug you just shot asking for their mother.

LongRider

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:
"He was conscious but fading. He said, 'I can't breathe,' and at one point he asked for his mother,"
think it'd have a huge impact on anyone listening to the dyingthug you just shot asking for their mother.
Yes it does reminds me of what whiney little pukes these wanna be tough guys are. Why did he not think of his mom BEFORE he started sticking guns in peoples faces. Even in death the maggot wants his momma to get him out of the hole he dug for himself, not one moments thought of the pain and suffering he has caused her. At least now he will not be able to continue to hurt her by his actions. Yes, watching any one die has a huge impact on you. It will never leave you ever but you do come to terms with what you need to do and learn to place responcibility where it belongs. Makes me sick that even in death these maggots caused others to suffer because of their selfish self centered actions. Why can't they just shoot themselves and not make someone else do the dirty work

imperialism2024

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:

I know most of us here like to act all macho and stuff, but what if you shot someone, stopped thethreat,and had to deal with something like this. I think it'd have a huge impact on anyone listening to the dyingthug you just shot asking for their mother.
I'd say it would depend on the circumstances in the shooting. If you felt fully justified, then I doubt you'd have a problem with it. If you had second thoughts ("Maybe the case of beer wasn't that important..."), I can see a good deal of guilt after the shoot while watching the BG die. But if you see the BG laying there with a gun nearby that he was holding, and you can observe the lack of holes in your body, it would probably take a good deal of self-control to not take another shot or two to stop the whining.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have. " Will Munny, "Unforgiven"

It certainly would have an impact. I agree with Imperialism that how great the impact is would depend on the specifics of the situation. If I did not believe that it was moral to kill another human being under certain circumstances, I wouldn't carry a gun. If I didn't think I could deal with having justifiably killed another human being, I wouldn't carry a gun. It took me quite a while to make the decision to carry a firearm during which time I examined these issues within myself and only when I was sure within my own heart and mind did I start to carry.

MetalChris

imported post

LongRider wrote:
MetalChris wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:
"He was conscious but fading. He said, 'I can't breathe,' and at one point he asked for his mother,"
think it'd have a huge impact on anyone listening to the dyingthug you just shot asking for their mother.
Yes it does reminds me of what whiney little pukes these wanna be tough guys are. Why did he not think of his mom BEFORE he started sticking guns in peoples faces. Even in death the maggot wants his momma to get him out of the hole he dug for himself, not one moments thought of the pain and suffering he has caused her. At least now he will not be able to continue to hurt her by his actions. Yes, watching any one die has a huge impact on you. It will never leave you ever but you do come to terms with what you need to do and learn to place responcibility where it belongs. Makes me sick that even in death these maggots caused others to suffer because of their selfish self centered actions. Why can't they just shoot themselves and not make someone else do the dirty work
Mmmhmm, lets see you talk all tough like that after you've inflicted a mortal sucking chest wound on another human being. You're tough! :cool:

Stealth Potato

imported post

Pointman wrote:
I certainly don't want to sound overly harsh, but if two thugs in black masks try to rob me at gunpoint, most likely in the dark, with a mean looking gun that might go full-auto, I'm not feeling sorry for them when they cry like a baby.
There's no mutual exclusion between feeling pity for the dying man and understanding that it was a fate he made for himself. Pity is not forgiveness -- I feel very sorry for the guy in this story, but I also know that he only got what he deserved and should have expected.

David.Car

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:

What really caught my attention is that the BG ran 400 yards away before he collapsed. They found a gunthe BG had. WHAT if he did not run, but continued theattacked?.... We do need the right gun for SD. Just because someone is shot does not mean the fight is over. Shot placement is important, but onecan't choose what they want to hit when they fire in SD.
There is a great story of a LEO doing a bust on a drug house. The suspect ran out shooting, he was than hit with a 1oz slug from a 12ga. in historso. In the front, out the back.He than kept running to his car, and managed to escape.

His lawyer arranged for the man to turn himself in a week later. Never went to a hospital.

Shot placement will always trump caliber. And if he is still fighting with you after 2, add 2 more, so forth and so on.

khicks

imported post

the victum of the hold up shot the bg with a small cal. hand gun(mouse gun). the bg runs for the hills, probaly thinking this was a real bad idea and darn this hurts and then dies i wonder what kind of drugs this bg was on.

a mouse gun my not be the best to carry but at lest it is better than nothing, this mouse had a meen bite

PT111

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:

There is a great story of a LEO doing a bust on a drug house. The suspect ran out shooting, he was than hit with a 1oz slug from a 12ga. in historso. In the front, out the back.He than kept running to his car, and managed to escape.

His lawyer arranged for the man to turn himself in a week later. Never went to a hospital.

Shot placement will always trump caliber. And if he is still fighting with you after 2, add 2 more, so forth and so on.
That's what happens when you use an inferior caliber. If the LEO had used his .40 like he was supposed to that could not have happened. :what: Might as well have been using a .25. :banghead:

Loneviking

imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
Pointman wrote:
I certainly don't want to sound overly harsh, but if two thugs in black masks try to rob me at gunpoint, most likely in the dark, with a mean looking gun that might go full-auto, I'm not feeling sorry for them when they cry like a baby.
There's no mutual exclusion between feeling pity for the dying man and understanding that it was a fate he made for himself. Pity is not forgiveness -- I feel very sorry for the guy in this story, but I also know that he only got what he deserved and should have expected.

And that's exactly where I'm coming from. It's a pity that someone raised this guy to be the scum that he is. It's a pity that somebody didn't whop the tar out of him the first time he stole something, or hurt someone just for fun. If he had had a father that would have made him toe the line, he may not have turned out this way.

But, he did turn out to be a dangerous human being with no respect for anyone but himself. I would have no remorse for shooting down a BG like that.

And yes, I've seen and treated sucking chest wounds from GS's in the E.R. That wouldn'tgive me much cause for remorse or concern.

Hammer

imported post

PT111 wrote:
That's what happens when you use an inferior caliber. If the LEO had used his .40 like he was supposed to that could not have happened. :what: Might as well have been using a .25.
you might want to look at some terminal ballistics and relate them to that statement. My observation and experience varies with it dramaticly.

protector84

imported post

Stopping a threat I believe is a combination between the type of gun and caliber you use as well as shot placement. A lot of people here seem to believe in a one-size-fits-all approach and I disagree and I am sure reputable members of the military also disagree. If an enemy is attacking you, you must defeat him using the appropriate tactics whatever those may be. For instance, suppose someone is breaking into my house and by the time I realize it, they are already inside. While 3" magnum 00 buckshot shells from my shotgun would be superior in terms of damage to the opponent, it may be advisable to instead grab the 9mm handgun because it is smaller and semi-automatic making it easier to maneuver around corners and allows for faster firing. Let's say that instead the criminal is already within 5 feet of me. It may make more sense not to use a gun period but instead grab my 5.5" fixed blade knife because at such close range, the knife is less likely to be grabbed away and less actions are required to inflict a wound and the wound or wounds are highly likely to be far more disabling and deadly. Sometimes bigger is not always better. It really just depends on the nature of the situation to determine what tactics you need to use. Regardless of what caliber, most attackers will actually stop before a shot is even fired and the few who don't are likely to stop once they have one or more holes in them. It is the exception and not the rule that criminals will just keep on coming toward you even after you have fired multiple rounds into them. It is good to be prepared for the unusual type of dangerous encounter but also important to understand what is most likely to take place.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I actually wish they wouldn't label people like this guy a "victim". It seems to me that he won the gunfight, potentially saving his life. Doesn't sound like a victim to me...

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
Pointman wrote:

And that's exactly where I'm coming from. It's a pity that someone raised this guy to be the scum that he is. It's a pity that somebody didn't whop the tar out of him the first time he stole something, or hurt someone just for fun. If he had had a father that would have made him toe the line, he may not have turned out this way.

But, he did turn out to be a dangerous human being with no respect for anyone but himself. I would have no remorse for shooting down a BG like that.

And yes, I've seen and treated sucking chest wounds from GS's in the E.R. That wouldn'tgive me much cause for remorse or concern.

These thoughts are exactly how I feel about a BG being shot. I am a deep thinker, and I am a people watcher. Sometimes when I observe people going about their daily business let’s say a guy working in landscaping, a woman walking her dog, a teenager walking from school, I think about how in this world there are people that will harm these people for no reason what-so-ever, when realizing how true this is, and how people don’t see the need for protection really hurts me inside because these people who may be very kind people, and someone would do them harm and not care about them or their love ones in the least bit.

People like this guy who got shot would, kill, maim, or hurt anyone for a dollar bill, or a leather coat, or anything simple like that. Why would I feel sorry for these BG’s if they are having a slow death from being shot my me or a person that did what they had to do to stay alive. They would kill you, me OR ANYONE in a worst way if they could. They (BG) chose this lifestyle along with all the dangers that comes with it. WE don’t choose to live this thug life, or a life of crime because we know it does not pay. He knew the risk and it was a gamble with his life and was willing to take this risk on his life, and I don’t feel sorry for him at all. Now going back to the innocent people I mentioned earlier. If they are killed by one of these BG. I hate to see that, and it hurts my heart to see it. I could go on and on about this, but it just bothers me so much, how this world is so evil.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

protector84 wrote:
Stopping a threat I believe is a combination between the type of gun and caliber you use as well as shot placement. A lot of people here seem to believe in a one-size-fits-all approach and I disagree and I am sure reputable members of the military also disagree. If an enemy is attacking you, you must defeat him using the appropriate tactics whatever those may be. For instance, suppose someone is breaking into my house and by the time I realize it, they are already inside. While 3" magnum 00 buckshot shells from my shotgun would be superior in terms of damage to the opponent, it may be advisable to instead grab the 9mm handgun because it is smaller and semi-automatic making it easier to maneuver around corners and allows for faster firing. Let's say that instead the criminal is already within 5 feet of me. It may make more sense not to use a gun period but instead grab my 5.5" fixed blade knife because at such close range, the knife is less likely to be grabbed away and less actions are required to inflict a wound and the wound or wounds are highly likely to be far more disabling and deadly. Sometimes bigger is not always better. It really just depends on the nature of the situation to determine what tactics you need to use. Regardless of what caliber, most attackers will actually stop before a shot is even fired and the few who don't are likely to stop once they have one or more holes in them. It is the exception and not the rule that criminals will just keep on coming toward you even after you have fired multiple rounds into them. It is good to be prepared for the unusual type of dangerous encounter but also important to understand what is most likely to take place.

Yes shot placement is key to effectively ending a attack quickly. A 12 gage slug and keeps on running (WOW) is prime example. I use to shot these slug from my shotgun, and I was like these “things are deadly.”

The reason why most people go for the bigger gun is that. A bigger round, and a faster round is more apt to hit that vital area that is key to ending the attack. The bigger round could at the least snip the heart, or spine. The faster round is more apt to doing the same, other then the smaller and slower round that may not reach the vitals. But yet if a smaller round was quicker to he in my hand in a L/D situation I will use it with no hesitation.