• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Parks.

James

imported post

I have a concealed carry permit in West Virginia. Can I carry my weapon into Virginia (Claytor Lake) state parks in my camper? Can I carry concealed while there?

TexasNative

imported post

There are no unique restrictions on carrying handguns, openly or concealed, in state parks in Virginia. And since there's a reciprocal agreement between WVa and Va, you're good to go whichever way you wish to carry your gun.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
There are no unique restrictions on carrying handguns, openly or concealed, in state parks in Virginia. And since there's a reciprocal agreement between WVa and Va, you're good to go whichever way you wish to carry your gun.

What the nice man ^ said.

Thanks for bringing your money over the border. Seems our Governor wants more so he can spend more. Glad to see you volunteering to asist him.

stay safe.

skidmark

TexasNative

imported post

I don't think you remember correctly, Bill. I haven't seen any restrictions on handguns in VA state parks. Do you have a VA Code citation?

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
I don't think you remember correctly, Bill. I haven't seen any restrictions on handguns in VA state parks. Do you have a VA Code citation?
There is a restriction. Don't have it handy. It is a state park regulation, not a state law.

We are actively working this issue, however (VCDL).

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well here isa slight twist on the VA state park question. It was my understanding that open carry was prohibited in state parks based upon some reading I've done in the past, however licensed concealed carry is permitted in state parks. In my home state of Ohiosome state parks have lodges with restaurants, where guests may stay and enjoy the park. In most of those restaurants alcohol is served. If VA state parks have lodges and restaurants that serve alcohol, where does that leave the person who wants to carry a firearm for protection? I would assume that the person would have to leave the firearm behind or be in violation of the law if they entered the restuarant serving alcohol. Am I correct in this assumption? If open carry is an option in state parks, my question is invalid. Please accept my apologies for ignorance on this subject as I'm relatively new to the state (less than a year) and don't often get out to state parks of any sort.

TexasNative

imported post

While I can't find the Department of Conservation & Recreation regulation on it (or any of their regulations, for that matter), they do appear to prohibit carrying of loaded firearms in state parks (except in hunting areas) by anyone who doesn't have a "valid concealed weapons permit." I find it irksome that DC&R does this by regulation, but I'm not going to argue that point.

It would appear to me, though, that carrying concealed in a state park is expressly allowed by anyone who can carry concealed elsewhere in the Commonwealth. Academically, I would argue that the DC&R regulation also allows open carry of loaded firearms by CHP (or reciprocal) holders, but practically speaking, I wouldn't be surprised to get hassled by law enforcement for open carry in a state park.

I apologize for my incorrect initial response, James, but it's apparent that you can certainly carry a concealed handgun in a state park in Virginia with your West Virginia permit.

TexasNative

imported post

Thanks for the document, Bill. I see that the regulation only "allows" concealed carry by CHP holders. I have to wonder, though, what the penalty would be for violating this regulation.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

It used to be a class 1 misdemeanor for violations of their regulations. That has since been lowered to a class 3 misdemeanor. Check out the following:

[size="+1"]4VAC5-30-200. Firearms.[/size]
[align=left] [/align]
[align=left] [/align]​
[align=left] [/align] [align=left]No person except employees, police officers, or officers of the department shall carry or possess firearms of any description, or airguns, within the park. This regulation shall not apply in areas designated for hunting by the Department of Conservation and Recreation. This regulation also shall not apply to the carrying of concealed handguns within state parks by holders of a valid concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to §18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia.[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]Lawsuit Against the DC&R [/align]