• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alternatively satisfying the CCW gun competency requirement?

BrianEMT

imported post

I just called the CCW desk at the Sheriff's Office, the next class is well into September. There isn't even a date set yet until at least August 1st. I want to get this paperwork done and sent in for processing.

She faxed me a list of firearms instructors, although I am not sure how they would exactly furnish the requirement. I would assume you just have to demonstrate being able to operate a handgun safely, but I'm not exactly sure.

So are there other means or other classes I can take that are sooner and satisfy this requirement?

Domandred

imported post

I you have taken hunters safety class in Idaho you can go down to the Idaho Fish and Game office and get a card printed. That counts, and doesn't matter if you are 36 and took the class when you were 12.

Domandred

imported post

The relevent section in the Idaho Code:

Code:
[code](13) When issuing a license pursuant to this section, the sheriff may
require the applicant to demonstrate familiarity with a firearm and shall
accept any of the following, provided the applicant may select which one:
(a)  Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved
by the department of fish and game or a similar agency of another state;
or
(b)  Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or
training course, or any national rifle association hunter education
course; or
(c)  Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class
available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency,
community college, college, university, or private or public institution
or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors
certified by the national rifle association or the Idaho state police; or
(d)  Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course
or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or
any division or subdivision of a law enforcement agency or security
enforcement agency; or
(e)  Presents evidence or equivalent experience with a firearm through
participation in organized shooting competition or military service; or
(f)  Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or
a county or municipality, unless the license has been revoked for cause;
or
(g)  Completion of any firearms training or training or safety course or
class conducted by a state certified or national rifle association
certified firearms instructor.
[/code]

boom

imported post

When I got my licence recently, the clerk told me that once the background check was completed, I could bring in proof of firearms training or just bring in the weapon i would be carrying and demonstrate my familiarity with it. I had a certificate and didn't want to bring one in to see the sherriff, so I had my picture taken and left licence in hand in a few minutes.

Brian, you may ask if they will do something similer in your case. I would think an interview and demonstration that you are familier with your weapon would do it. Especially if you let them know you would be open carrying regardless.

G

imported post

Just had a co-worker do that. He had to wait months to get the class he wanted, but he had the Background done and ready to go and had his CCW the day he completed the class.

I just used Hunters safety and got mine. . . . Then I took the other classes that I wanted to go through. :shock:

tatersalad

imported post

In Ada and Canyon counties you are required to take an approved safety class. The class does not involve handling any firearms or demonstrating your ability to use your firearm. I took mine through the Caldwell Recreation Department, it lasted 4 hours and was just the instructor going through firearm safety and some of the legal issues of using your gun in a defensive situation. About 70% of the time was him telling us endless horror stories of firearm accidents and people using guns in self defense.:? I remember someone asking about OCing and he had no idea what the laws were here in Idaho :banghead: (he had just moved here from Utah). Got a certificate, took it down to the Sheriff's office, got fingerprinted, and I got my permit about three weeks later.

silver nekode

imported post

I'm signed up to take the class from frank at zebra 12 next month, it's on the thirtieth. However when I talked to him yesterday he still had one opening for the class tomorrow so that would be an option of you are interested.