• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Carolina Concealed Carry Reciprocity

gextyr

imported post

Although this is not directly related to the push for Open Carry in the state of Florida, I think that broader CCW reciprocity between states will help in the move towards standardization of state gun laws... and most states allow open carry. So I've been making an effort to keep an eye on the state of various reciprocity agreements, and specifically the Division of Licensing attempt to get South Carolina on board (if you look at a FL reciprocity map, SC is the only red blob in the south.)

This is part of the discussion I've had with the management analyst at DOL, since South Carolina recently enacted a new reciprocity reform bill (cross-posted from my June 26th blog entry) :

Good afternoon, Mr. Morris:

Let me give you a bit of history about our dealings with South Carolina on the matter of reciprocity and the up-to-the minute details as to where we stand at the moment.

As you may be aware, South Carolina has long been one of those states that will enter into reciprocity with another state only if the licensing standards in that other state are similar to its own. (This is completely different from Florida's reciprocity provision. We will honor the concealed weapon licenses issued by another state provided that the other state will honor our concealed weapon licenses.) Our efforts to establish reciprocity with South Carolina have failed up till now because authorities at the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) have informed us that Florida did not qualify for reciprocity. They cited specific differences between our disqualifying criteria and our training standards.

Apparently, under the recent changes made by the South Carolina General Assembly, South Carolina will now honor the concealed weapon licenses issued by another state provided only that the other state requires an applicant to successfully pass a criminal background check and to complete a course in firearm training and safety.

I received a letter earlier this month from Captain Clifton Weir of SLED's Regulatory Services Office requesting details regarding Florida's background check and training requirement. I furnished him with specific information regarding the provisions in Florida law that require an applicant to submit a fingerprint card for a criminal background check and documentation of firearms proficiency.

The question in my mind is simply this: will the requirement in Florida law for an applicant to submit documentation that "demonstrates competence with a firearm" be sufficient to meet South Carolina's condition that the other state require an applicant to compete a firearm training and safety course? The matter is out of our hands now. It will be up to the authorities at SLED to determine if our background check and our documentation of firearms proficiency requirement qualify us for reciprocity with South Carolina.

We will, of course, add South Carolina to our reciprocity webpage if we receive good news from SLED. Please let me know if you need additional information.

KW
Management Analyst
Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services Division of Licensing

gextyr

imported post

Here's the latest response:

Good afternoon, Mr. Morris:
No, I have not received any word as of yet from authorities in South Carolina. I telephoned SLED yesterday morning, but I have not yet received a telephone call in return.

I wish I had better news to share with you, but this is all I have at the moment. I will keep you posted.

KW

rvrctyrngr

imported post

Thanks for the info, gextyr. That will be good news if it goes through.

For years I had to travel to NC and VA for personal reasons. I'd never even stop in SC to take a leak. I'd spend time and money in GA, NC, and VA where my license is honoured.

gextyr

imported post

Indeed. I travel from FL to WV regularly, and I have to stop at the GA/SC border to put my side arm in my glove box (which SC allows), then reholster it when I cross into NC.

I also won't stop in SC for food/gas/etc.