• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just found this site and yes I carry...

xaveus

imported post

Over a dozen times now I have openly carried my Beretta .40 to the local store.

The store is about 6 blocks from my house, I walk down capitol drive, which is a very busy street in Milwaukee and go into a local store/gas station for milk and other items.

So far I have had no issues....except for the normal stare I get from some peole as they try to figue out what I am doing.

The attendent at the gas station is aware of the OC law.

My question is what are the laws surrounding it...I am sure you cannot carry near a school zone but does anyone know the exact law on that....as in what distance I need to stay away?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

You can find all the details in Wisconsin Statutes Chapter 948.605.

Basically, if you're within 1000 feet of school grounds the firearm has to be unloaded and encased. It does not apply on private property. It applies to schools that have grades 1-12, so it does not apply to a college.

xaveus

imported post

Thank you, that helps alot....my other concern is what if the store owner has a problem....being that he is the private owner of the store can he tell me not to carry.

What is his legal right in this matter?

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

What is his legal right in this matter?

Regardless of "legal" or "illegal" as a matter of principle, when I am on someone's private property, I believe it is their moral right to decide what happens on it.

If I was in a store and I was asked to leave, I would politely do so, the same as if I went to someone's house I would respect their wishes.

If someone comes to my house I expect them to honor my requests. To not smoke for example.

In return I would extend the same courtesy to other citizens on their property.

edit to add: however if I was asked to leave a store because I was carrying, I would make a point to shop at a different store in the future. I don't want to patronize a business that doesn't support my beliefs/bahaviors.

Parabellum

Founder's Club Member
imported post

He cannot tell you not to carry, he can tell you not to carry in his store and he can ask you to leave. If he asks you to leave do so, or risk a trespass citing against you. Its his store and can tell you to leave at any time. It MIGHT be unconstitutional for him todeny you your right in a public use area. I dont think we could get much steam for that just yet tho, its best to focus our energies with the task at hand.

smithman

imported post

As the old saying goes, "your rights end where someone elses begin". IMHO, he cannot infringe your rightto bear armsby telling you not to exercise it. But I know of no court precedence in WIstating this.

It could be easy for him asking you to leave to escalate into an argumentdepending on his personality. In that case you must withdraw from the conversation, one cannot be seen OCing and arguing at the same time. You could remind him that "I consider it very important that I be secure in my person at all times. Many of my friends feel the same way. We would like to continue shopping hereand giving you our business. However, if I am defenseless I may find another store that meets my needs." Its all about framing the response for these types of people.

Congrats on OCing at the store. I have yet to do so for an extended period while shopping at Pick'n'save. But that day is quickly approaching. I have a recorder and the OCresolutions will soon be creating a stir across the state. I do carry regularly around my neighborhood whenever my wife and I go for a walk.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

The WI Patriots (a group of people who support open carry) are holding an picnic August 2nd. There is no charge to attend, it's family-friendly, and you'll learn a lot about open carry in a very short amount of time.

Has there been a post about this I missed?

I will of course be attending, but this is the first I've heard of it, and I visit this site daily.

Do we need to bring anything? Food?