• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anu OC Experiences in the U.P.?

Rob Washeleski

imported post

Hello,

My name is Rob Washeleski and I am new to this forum. I have had my CPL for 3 years and was told by police, CPL instructors, and fellow carriers alike that OC was not legal in MI because having a gun in a holster on your hip is brandishing. After lurking on this forum for a while I see that this clearly is not the case. I live in the Houghton/Hancock Area in Houghton County, and I was wondering if anyone knows the OC "climate" around here. I have never seen anyone do it except when hiking.

I carry a 5" 1911, and especially in the summer it would be nice to OC. I love my IWB, but it gets hot in a hurry. I also am serious about exercising this poorly understood right so we don't lose it. If you have any experience up here, please let me know. Also, if anyone is in the area I am a range officer at the Michigan Technological University Range (open to the community). Stop by and we can shoot and talk.

Thanks in advance,

-Rob

P.S. Sorry about the typo in the thread name. I can't figure out how to fix it.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:
Hello,

My name is Rob Washeleski and I am new to this forum. I have had my CPL for 3 years and was told by police, CPL instructors, and fellow carriers alike that OC was not legal in MI because having a gun in a holster on your hip is brandishing. After lurking on this forum for a while I see that this clearly is not the case. I live in the Houghton/Hancock Area in Houghton County, and I was wondering if anyone knows the OC "climate" around here. I have never seen anyone do it except when hiking.

I carry a 5" 1911, and especially in the summer it would be nice to OC. I love my IWB, but it gets hot in a hurry. I also am serious about exercising this poorly understood right so we don't lose it. If you have any experience up here, please let me know. Also, if anyone is in the area I am a range officer at the Michigan Technological University Range (open to the community). Stop by and we can shoot and talk.

Thanks in advance,

-Rob

P.S. Sorry about the typo in the thread name. I can't figure out how to fix it.

Welcome Rob. We have other members that OC in the UP. I think they would like to get together and have a picnic or something while OCing. The problem is the UP is Big, but the population is not, so a get together involves a lot of driving. I suggest you split the UP into quads and have meetings in those areas. You guys need a front person to organize it, how about you? Or you? Or YOU? Okay enough dramatics, but you get the point. Would love to have more members in the UP, start spreading the word.

As far as the climate in your area goes you can send the local police the info packet posted on the Information page. That's a start to get the ball rolling. Remember OC is legal, regardless of what the police may tell you.

Rob Washeleski

imported post

I would love to be the front man but I need some help. I am a Ph.D student in my 7th year, so I have seen a bunch of dedicated carriers come and go. MTU just lost about 5 people who would have walked with me in a heart beat. There is a solid new crop coming up, but most of them are 19 or 20 years old and don't have experience carrying at all. Over the last six months I got 4 more friends to get training and get their CPL, but they are not the type who wants to be seen with a gun on the hip for some reason. Me, I like to "stir the pot" every once in a while, especially when it means reminding people of a right they have either forgotten or have been told they don't have.

I will send the info to the police in the next week or two. I will be out of town for a conference, hence the delay. I am open to anyone who wants to get together up here for a BBQ or whatever. I'll even organize it.

-Rob

Rob Washeleski

imported post

I have looked at the Info thread a few times and was wondering if there is a nice printable version that can be mailed or dropped off at the local PD. That is another question I have: what is the best way to give this info to the police? Should I drop it off in person, mail it, or what?

Thanks,

-Rob

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:
I have looked at the Info thread a few times and was wondering if there is a nice printable version that can be mailed or dropped off at the local PD. That is another question I have: what is the best way to give this info to the police? Should I drop it off in person, mail it, or what?

Thanks,

-Rob
See this post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVPkV1Mzpxo I mailed this out today, so hopefully he will post it. Otherwise PM me and give me your email and I can send you a word doc of it. As for delivering it. An initial email followed by a hard copy works well. Depends on how much time you have to work on it.