• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got an email from an FFL used to xfer a rifle over 2 years ago

ChronoSphere

imported post

I bought a AR15 via gunbroker over 2 years ago, and used a local FFL (actually an ebay dealer who offered FFL services) to transfer the rifle to me, as it was out of state (i'm in Florida, so its all good state-law wise).

I got this email today:

Hi,

ATF is requesting we supply them with the "Name and address or Name and
FFL#" for the firearm we transferred for you. We need this information by
7/28/08, so please forward this information ASAP. Thank you for your
cooperation.

Thank You,

xxxxxxxxx

This guy should have had my address when I filled out the paperwork, and called in my NCIS check when he transferred the rifle to me. Should I respond to him at all, or email back and ask why he needs my new address (i've moved across the state since then) or is there a legal requirement for me to provide him or the ATF my information? (I would imagine he couldn't compell me, the ATF itself would have to directly contact me if they want me for whatever reason).

Opinions, comments, suggestions?

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would be real suspicious of that kind of email.

I suggest just ignoring it and any future emails from the same person.

The last thing you want is some kind of paper trail between you and this guy who may not have been completely on the up and up with the transfer in the first place.

Orygunner

imported post

Is this Email from the gunbroker you bought it from, or the local state FFL dealer you transferred it through?

It sounds fishy to me. I do not know much about Federal law how it relates to power and procedures of the ATF, but I thought with a gun trace, all they can view is the ATF dealer's records...

Maybe that's it. Maybe the FFL didn't keep proper records, or the records were lost or destroyed, and the guy is trying to recreate them so he don't get busted?

You can always reply back and ask some questions, like why the ATF needs to know, was the gun used in some sort of crime, is this for an official gun trace, did they lose their records or something, etc. etc. See if their answers help influence your decision to answer their questions.

...Good luck, keep us updated...
...Orygunner...

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nothing wrong with giving him your address info from when you bought it... Shoot him an email saying something like... Here's my address that I gave you last time... I hope you don't lose it again!

Don't lie and tell him it's current or whatever, but I too would be cautious about giving out current info... Maybe a phone call would be better than giving info over an email account that could have been hacked or something and the person is contacting everyone in the contact list trying to phish out some info...

Try and get him to tell you the order number, or a description of the firearm he sold you to prove he isn't BS'ing...

imperialism2024

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
Nothing wrong with giving him your address info from when you bought it... Shoot him an email saying something like... Here's my address that I gave you last time... I hope you don't lose it again!

Don't lie and tell him it's current or whatever, but I too would be cautious about giving out current info... Maybe a phone call would be better than giving info over an email account that could have been hacked or something and the person is contacting everyone in the contact list trying to phish out some info...

Try and get him to tell you the order number, or a description of the firearm he sold you to prove he isn't BS'ing...
+1

Plus, it's fun to play to scammers. And it may help if someone the FFL's customer list got stolen, or something like that. Never hurts to inquire...

Caption Jack

imported post

Do not replyto email...possiblyillegal access tocomputer records, or files kept by dealer, maybe legit, maybe not? If you feel you must contact this dealer, then do so by phone.Keep allemails and reciepts concerning transactionand wait. BATF will contact you if ofimportance.Theres something wrongwith this situation?

Captain Jack, retired military

Sheriff

imported post

How does the FFLnot have yourname and address, but he has your e-mail?

He could never have completed the transaction without your name and address.

The e-mail is suspicious in nature. :shock:

VAopencarry

imported post

It's odd he has your email addy. I'd call the store and ask what's up. If he indeed screwed some paperwork and needs to fix it, I'd cooperate.

ChronoSphere

imported post

Apparently he also called my cell phone number during the day, I didn't receive the message until I left my home to go to dinner with my better half (darned new construction, all steel and aluminum, kills cell phone reception).

I got this email today after asking him why he wanted it - sounds like he screwed the pooch. I am debating whether or not I should send him my address at the time of the purchase, or sending him nothing at all. As it is, I don't like the ATF keeping tabs on people who have not committed any crime.

Also, this wasn't a gun store, its an ebay/auction trading business, who has an FFL simply to transfer firearms purchased via gunbroker and other auction sites that allow firearm auctions.

xxxxxx,

Unfortunately, the information was not originally recorded and it is purely
for record keeping purposes. We as well as ATF will appreciate your
cooperation.

Thank you,

Stealth Potato

imported post

ChronoSphere wrote:
xxxxxx,

Unfortunately, the information was not originally recorded and it is purely
for record keeping purposes. We as well as ATF will appreciate your
cooperation.

Thank you,
So, for record keeping purposes, the records were not kept? :p

Sounds like he definitely screwed up. I wouldn't want to let him get screwed by the ATF, though, so I would probably help him out.

However, one thing I don't like is the officious tone he's taking in his correspondence. It may be that he's just trying to sound official (by constantly referring to himself in conjunction with the ATF) to avoid admitting that he made a big mistake and will be in big trouble if he doesn't fix it. On the other hand, it's a tone often taken by scammers. That combined with the fact that he doesn't give you any specific information (the date of the transfer or the type of the gun, for example) makes me somewhat suspicious.

I would verify that he's actually the guy you did business with before continuing. Ask him what he knows about your transaction, and for that matter why the ATF is asking him for information. If he lost the records, how does he even know it's your information that the ATF wants?

codename_47

imported post

I have heard that the ATF is beating up on FFL's revoking licenses and so on for minor infractions, so I guess they are getting looked at or may feel that they are going to get looked at soon and want to redo the books.

Shallnotbeinfringed

imported post

I'd call the shop/person personally, not reply via email. By becoming an FFL they are bound by strict record keeping rules. It sounds like the ATF did a records check, or is going to do a records check, and he is trying to get all his ducks in a row.