• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart

xRapidDavex

imported post

Francis Marion wrote:
There's a lot more to my bullet decision making than foot-punds. I want my energy absorbed by the target and not the backstop. Sure, give me lots of force but, give me something that turns into .90 when it comes in contact with my target.

This reminds me. I forgot Doug's wasn't opened on Sundays and I forgot to pick up part of my Brother in Law's present for his birthday. I was going to get him some new Gold Dot Spear hollowpoints, but the store was empty. I tried the army/navy store next door, and resigned to buying FMJ from Walmart since the army/navy didn't sell handgun ammunition (dunno if they sell rifle... it is an army/navy store for pete's sake).

For the hell of it I asked the guy at the counter if he had the rounds I wanted and I first opened with

"Do you guys have any defensive rounds?"

He says

"Defensive? You mean Hollow Point?"

and I say "Ya."

He snickers and proceeds to tell me that there's no reason to buy hollow points and that they are a waste of money, and that they will go through walls just as easily as FMJ.

I replied "not when it leaves this (size of nickel-quarter with my fingers) going in, and this (spread the opening of my hands 4 - 6 inches to signify a hole) coming out"

He said "I just went through ballistics training in the army and hollow ponts have a 90% fail rate (meaning only 10% of the rounds I buy will expand correctly).

At this point I was through talking to him because he was the 'know it all army guy' and I was the 'uninformed civillian who couldn't possibly know anything about firearms.'

I decided to get 100 rounds of 'target ammo', and that made him snicker AGAIN because

"I can't believe I come back from a war and they are calling this 'target ammo'. This will do what you need, its the same ammo we use in the military."

thx997303

imported post

Which Wal-mart?

How old was the guy?

Sounds like he has never had to shoot someone. And even if he was correct, that makes 10% of hollow points better than FMJ, and 90% as good as FMJ.

His logic is full of holes.

thx997303

imported post

Okay, so you know that if the hollow points don't expand, they act like FMJ rounds.

Therefore the hollow point for PD is either as good or better than FMJ.

IMO

scorpioajr

imported post

Hey THX -

Have you heard of those GLASER Saftey Slugs?

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/glaser/glaser.htm

..lemme know whatcha think.

" BLUE: Glaser BLUE uses #12 shot compressed into a solid form. The Glaser BLUE produces immediate energy dispersal into the target, reducing the possibility of over penetration and creating abrupt stopping power. The numerous projectiles disperses outward generating an effective wound cavity.

SILVER: Glaser SILVER is made up of #6 shot. With the Silver load, you get much larger segments; deeper penetration and controlled energy release."

xRapidDavex

imported post

5400 South, Redwood Road about 35 years old?

FMJ are supposed to have more penetrating power than Hollow Points, so they kind of have a disadvantage out of the gate (shooting through a car door).

thx997303

imported post

It appears that they do not work as intended.

And they would work decently if your target was behind wall board.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Brassfetcher_evaluates_9mm_Glaser_Safety_Slug.pdf

Inadequate penetration in a less than standard viscosity block of ballistic gelatin.

About 7"

They are not worth the money.

And Rapidave, the hollow points do have less penetration, unless they don't mushroom, from what I have seen.

Anyway, for PD, you are usually not shooting through a car door. Not saying it wont happen, but it's not usually the case.

What I am saying is for PD, against a soft human target, the hollow point is as effective with the possibility of being more effective than FMJ.

Militarily, the 5.56 Nato will be more effective as a FMJ, because they are tending to go against hard targets.

While the 9mm ball will not make a better round as FMJ. The 9mm is not good for engaging hard targets, and is only useful for super close range or as Oh crap I have no more rifle or ammo.

This is only my opinion though.