• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hastings Michigan.. Open Carry Rally with news coverage.

DickTracy1953

imported post

Warlockmatized... it sounds like they met in a downtown Hastings cafe first before taking to the streets. Thirty people or fifty is a crowd in small town USA.

Unlike our rally at the John Ball Park Zoo in Grand Rapids, my guess is that they did not have any burgers, brats, or delicious venison steaks on the grill. Not to mention that wonderful potato salad along with those tasty deserts.

I still don't know who put on this rally.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

DickTracy1953 wrote:
Warlockmatized... it sounds like they met in a downtown Hastings cafe first before taking to the streets. Thirty people is a crowd in small town USA.

Unlike our rally at the John Ball Park Zoo in Grand Rapids, my guess is that they did not have any burgers, brats, or delicious venison steaks on the grill. Not to mention that wonderful potatoe salad along with those tasty deserts.

How are you DickTracy? Unfortunately, I missed out on the Bambi steaks but everything else was excellent.

I think this is the fellow who was responsible for the rally.

David Stevens
Barry County Citizens for Second Amendment and Firearm Rights (B-SAFR)

warlockmatized

imported post

DickTracy1953 wrote:
Warlockmatized... it sounds like they met in a downtown Hastings cafe first before taking to the streets. Thirty people or fifty is a crowd in small town USA.

Unlike our rally at the John Ball Park Zoo in Grand Rapids, my guess is that they did not have any burgers, brats, or delicious venison steaks on the grill. Not to mention that wonderful potato salad along with those tasty deserts.

Yeah i knew all about it. Was trying to get some sort of carpool going so myself and others could have attended.

ghostrider

imported post

Overwhelmed wrote:
I was there, I wore a replica black powder pistol, and I had an absolutly great experience.

I am very new to this org and will plan to read and write more in the future.
Hi OW.

Welcome aboard. It was nice meeting and chatting with you today. Glad you decided to sign up.

Overwhelmed

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
Overwhelmed wrote:
I was there, I wore a replica black powder pistol, and I had an absolutly great experience.

I am very new to this org and will plan to read and write more in the future.
Hi OW.

Welcome aboard. It was nice meeting and chatting with you today. Glad you decided to sign up.

I guess i did not clarify what I wore. I was carrying a replica black powder 2-shot (over/under) derringer. It is a disabled weapon with no firing pin or cap and is not even considered a firearm under the law. My husband and I own it together since it is a 'curio' and not a firearm subject to owning with a permint.

I was there to make the statement that women need to protect themselves also and not rely on anyone else to protect them.

Greggy_D

imported post

Made the front page of the Free Press this morning:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080725/NEWS06/807250352

HASTINGS -- Most of us probably don't know it, but Michigan is among the 44 states where it's legal to carry a gun in public without a permit.

To make that point, about 40 gun advocates walked out of Richie's Koffee Shop Inc. late Thursday afternoon with handguns holstered at their sides, part of a small but growing national movement to stand up for the constitutional right to bear arms. They strolled down this tidy west Michigan town's main street, barely causing a stir among passing motorists and pedestrians.
When they finished, the group -- mostly white men -- gathered around a fountain at the Barry County Courthouse and heard a red-meat, pro-Second Amendment speech by organizer Skip Coryell, 50, who wore his .40 caliber semi-automatic handgun openly for the first time and extolled the virtues of carrying a weapon.

"Look at all the people around you carrying guns and not a criminal in sight," said Coryell, a gun instructor and self-styled publisher who lives near Holland. "Quite frankly, I don't feel criminals would feel comfortable among us right now." He said educating people about their right to carry guns openly is the "next wave of the Second Amendment."

The event, tinged with local gun politics, was the latest statement from gun advocates around the country to promote and defend the open toting of handguns.

Earlier this summer, a small group caused a minor stir when they showed up to picnic at a park near Flint wearing holsters on their hips. On Sunday, 10 people made headlines in Boise, Idaho, when they carried handguns into the local zoo.

Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign, the largest U.S. gun control organization, said he doesn't dispute the legal right to carry weapons openly but thinks those who demonstrate for such rights are pushy and aggressive.

"Their No. 1 mission seems to be making other people nervous," he said. "That's a little childish. Of all the issues that need volunteerism in this country, in Michigan, in Detroit, you'd think people would find a more useful way to use their volunteer hours than walking around showing they have a gun."

Organizers said they were defying Hastings Police Chief Jerry Sarver, whom they say wants to stifle their gun rights.

Sarver, who's running for Barry County sheriff, denies that he wants to step on anyone's rights and acknowledged that Michigan law allows people to carry their handguns in a holster.

"We're not going to interfere with them," Sarver said before the rally. "I think that's what they want."

The event was heavily promoted on the Web site OpenCarry.org, the premier place on the Internet for those who like their pistols at their side. Web site cofounder Mike Stollenwerk, a retired Army officer, said he and partner John Pierce started the site in 2004 out of a mutual interest in U.S. gun laws.

"It's a couple of geeky guys who put together some maps and a database, and it became a movement," Stollenwerk said.

Stollenwerk said the recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling that assured the right of individuals to own and carry guns stoked some interest in the open-carry movement, but he added that it's been growing on its own.

His Web site has more than 8,500 registered members and has been attracting 600,000 visitors a month, he said.

The Hastings event was posted, and this week Stollenwerk issued a news release about it that suggested a looming confrontation in the streets. It didn't happen.

Heather Reed, 37, of Middleville, an unemployed animal-control officer, was among about a half dozen women who participated in Thursday's event.

"I enjoy the freedom of the Second Amendment and I want to make a point that women ought to be able to defend themselves," said Reed, who packed an inoperable two-shot black powder antique derringer she had borrowed. "Right now I can't afford the .38 I want."

Another gun toter was Alex Walden, 73, a retired dairy farmer who lives near Hastings and often carries his .32 caliber pistol with him in his holster. He said it makes him feel safer.

About 155,000 Michiganders -- about one in every 75 -- have permits to carry concealed weapons. They must first pass an approved gun safety course -- something those who carry their weapons in the open aren't required to do.

Carrying a gun openly in public doesn't require a permit, though people who want to purchase a handgun must fill out a form and turn it in to their local police or sheriff's department. The police agency is to check the buyer's background and issue a permit good for 10 days, according to the Michigan State Police Web site.

In 2002, Michigan's law changed to require county gun boards to issue concealed weapon permits to adults who passed an approved safety course and did not have criminal records. Prior to the change, gun boards could deny permits for any reason.

Dave Stevens, 56, a high school teacher and an NRA instructor with a shooting range in his backyard, holds a concealed weapons permit and usually would rather carry his handgun out of sight.

"I don't want to advertise. You make yourself a target if you do."

Still, on Thursday, he carried a loaded .45 caliber semi-automatic in the open.

While the event brought some business to the restaurant where she works, Desarai Haight, 23, a waitress at Richie's, said it left her a little nervous.

"I think there should be some kind of screening or test to make sure people who carry weapons are of sound mind," she said.

Contact CHRIS CHRISTOFF at 517-372-8660 or christoff@freepress.com.

You guys caused a minor stir in Flint??? :question:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

DickTracy1953 wrote:
Does anyone know if this rally was comprised of people from OpenCarry.org or is this some other group.

There was an open carry gun rally today in Hastings Michigan with around thirty people in attendance along with TV 8 News coverage.

This is a link to the TV News 8 broadcast.

http://video.woodtv.com/?video_id=13164

Skip Coryell organized it with some help. In my opinion it was somewhat of a local political show, but the point was about open carry and it's legality. Skip hadn't heard about us here at open carry and I hope he remains a member so that we all might work together in future events at least in the SW part of the state. Skip s a CPL instructor and had written several books dealing with firearm and self defense issue. The links for coverage on the Hasting event are here via Skips post.

I believe there were 3 members there, me, Daugwg, and ghostrider. A couple of people were there that have now registered on this site.

UPDATE:

Channel 3 article and video:

http://www.wwmt.com/news/hastings_1351572___article.html/guns_banded.html

Video: http://www.wwmt.com/video/index.php?bcpid=1111405973&bclid=1137706675&bctid=1688292702& http://www.wwmt.com

Channel 8: http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8733074

MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25841132

Detroit Free Press: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008807250352

DickTracy1953

imported post

Somehow I missed the posting that gave advance information about this open carry rally. Since I reside in Grand Rapids it would have been no big deal for me to attend.

I could have combined my short trip with a visit to Bob's Gun Shop as that is located in Hastings as well.

It is too bad that we can not do something to get the "open carry" ban that is on the law books in the city of Grand Rapids struck down in the same manner as was done in the Ferndale (Detroit) Michigan lawsuit.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

DickTracy1953 wrote:
Somehow I missed the posting that gave advance information about this open carry rally. Since I reside in Grand Rapids it would have been no big deal for me to attend.

I could have combined my short trip with a visit to Bob's Gun Shop as that is located in Hastings as well.

It is too bad that we can not do something to get the "open carry" ban that is on the law books in the city of Grand Rapids struck down in the same manner as was done in the Ferndale (Detroit) Michigan lawsuit.

What? What legal ban are you talking about? All local laws banning weapons are illegal. We had members OCing in GR about two weeks ago. GR has no legal gun bans on CC or OC. As you know this makes them illegal.

In 1990, the Michigan legislature enacted MCL 123.1102 which provides, in pertinent part: A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

And was upheld by the MI Court of Appeals.

warlockmatized

imported post

DickTracy1953 wrote:
I was at the picnic at John Ball Park Zoo. The city of Grand Rapids still has a prohibition against "open carry". It has been discussed in a few threads in this forum.
Which is why i would assume you chose not to carry while at the park. As you saw however with your own eyes, NOTHING negative happened as a result of the rest of us OC'ing. Even with multiple park staff and countless other visitors walking right past us to use the restroom.

What has also been discussed in a few threads in this forum is that Grand Rapids as well as every other Michigan city/towns so called "ban" or ordinance is ILLEGAL, due to Michigans firearms pre-emption law of 1990. Therefore any so called ban/ordinance/prohibition is NOT enforceable, even though they might try.

You CAN open carry on ANY public property in the state.

i would suggest reading further into the matter either here at OCDO or at a minimum The Michigan State Police website. (link included) http://www.michigan.gov/msp

A simple search on the MSP website using the words open carry turns up this/these results. please read results 1 & 2

Taken from MSP website.

1) April 2007 Legal Update: DID YOU KNOW?
Note: The following material does not represent new law. Instead, it is intended to inform officers of infrequently used laws which might prove useful.

It is not illegal under Michigan law to openly carry a pistol As odd as it may appear, it is legal in Michigan for a person to carry a pistol in public as long as it is carried with lawful intent and not concealed. Of course, there are limits. First, a person may not carry a pistol into any of the places listed in MCL 750.234d. Second, a person may no carry a pistol in a manner that violates the brandishing a firearm statute (MCL 750.234e). Finally, a pistol can’t be carried in public where it violates local ordinance.

2) May 2007 Legal Update: DID YOU KNOW?
Note: The following material does not represent new law. Instead, it is intended to inform officers of infrequently used laws that might prove useful.

Open carry of a pistol…revisited In the April 2007 edition of the Update we noted that openly (non-concealed) carrying a pistol in Michigan is generally legal. Here we will note a couple of things to keep in mind during open carry situations. First, a person may not “open carry” a pistol in the passenger compartment of a vehicle. Once a person enters a passenger compartment with a pistol they are carrying it concealed in violation of MCL 750.227. In order to carry in a passenger compartment, a person must either be licensed to carry a concealed pistol or otherwise be exempted from Section 227 (e.g., a police officer).

Second, in the April edition we noted that a pistol cannot be carried in public where it violates local ordinance. This is true, but only where the ordinance is specifically authorized by state law.

And now you know. And Knowing is?.......half the battle :) Hope to see you OC at the next picnic/gathering you decide to attend.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

DickTracy1953 wrote:

More likely than not, theban will remain in the books until someone is arrested for their invalid/illegal OC ban and decides to challenge it.