Thread: Holster advice

Post imported post

OK folks....got a new Springfiled Armory XD 9 (4 inch) and need some advice. For concealed carry I'm fine.....but I'm looking for advice for an open carry holster. I'd like something comfortable....but that also has decent retention.

I did a search....but with 321 hits....didn't feel like looking through them all.

Thanks for any replies.

Post imported post

Northern-Lights wrote:
    OK folks....got a new Springfiled Armory XD 9 (4 inch) and need some advice. For concealed carry I'm fine.....but I'm looking for advice for an open carry holster. I'd like something comfortable....but that also has decent retention.

I did a search....but with 321 hits....didn't feel like looking through them all.

Thanks for any replies.
    By general observation, many here at OCDO are choosing SERPA's for their XD's, Glocks, and 1911's.

http://www.blackhawk.com/

Post imported post

Appreciate the link...

Was hoping to find a holster with a retention system not just to keep the gun snug...but to prevent a gun grab also.

Something with a thumb break.....or maybe another suggestion?

Post imported post

Northern-Lights wrote:
    Appreciate the link...

Was hoping to find a holster with a retention system not just to keep the gun snug...but to prevent a gun grab also.

Something with a thumb break.....or maybe another suggestion?
    I have a Blade-Tech for my G21SF with Pic Rail and I am very satisfied with it. Though it utilizes thumbbreak retention, I can't imagine it being any better than the SERPA CQC's with Active Retention that many here are very fond of.

http://www.blade-tech.com/home.php

Post imported post

The Serpa DOES have push button retention, in case you missed seeing it. VERY solid retention system. I would suggest stopping by Gander Mtn or your fave store and check one out in person.

Post imported post

This is what I use. Level 2 Serpa - excellent retention. It's very secure with the paddle attachment. I have a hell of a time getting it out of my own pants at the end of the day.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.as...05&C=C2091

Post imported post

Good advice....(stopping in at Gander or something). They are a long ways away up here in the U.P......only one is in Marquette. However, I do have a trip to Lansing planned coming up in a few weeks.

Any others people like?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

+1 for the serpa. Unless the gun grabbber knows how it works (unlikely), there is no way they're getting it. Some people here have entertaining stories of police being confused and unable to disarm them.

And the paddle is very secure, if someone grabbed my gun I'd be going with them. Also very quick and safe draw with your finger indexed along the weapon.

Watch this:
    Skip to 3:15 to see how the retention works.
    [flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/hKLtZDuXjNA[/flash]

Post imported post

Leet's Sports sells some here in Sault Ste Marie which is slightly closer. Im not sure if they have any for XD's though I imagine they would as they also sell them.

Post imported post

I also just bought a Serpa CQC Level 2 for my Glock 23.

$41 shipped off Ebay.

Post imported post

Thanks a bunch for that. It was very informative and it looks like exactly what I had in mind.

Thanks everyone....it's been 15 years since I left the military and it looks like some terms and technology has changed. Appreciate your patience.....and your help.

Post imported post

I hate to hijack your thread but I was just about to post the same thing, but for a different gun.

Any recommendations for a retention holster for a Browning Hi Power or Kahr CW40? I would prefer something like the Serpa retnetion systeminstead ofa thumb break. Unfortunately Blackhawk doesn't make a Serpa for either of them (but they make one for the Taurus Judge )

Thanks,

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Personally, it all comes down to personal preference. This debate will come up time and again. Go to a store, play with as many holsters as you can get your hands on, and find what fits you best. Myself, I use a Galco hardside OWB for my Glock 23, a SERPA L3 for my Sig 226, and an Uncle Mike's sharkskin(because it looks tasty) pancake for my 1911.

What feels best, what functions best, and what MENTALLY is the best with you are the 3 biggest things to consider. How long are you going to wear it? Don't want something sharp poking your side? - consider leather/sharkskin?

*S*