• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster advice

Northern-Lights

imported post

OK folks....got a new Springfiled Armory XD 9 (4 inch) and need some advice. For concealed carry I'm fine.....but I'm looking for advice for an open carry holster. I'd like something comfortable....but that also has decent retention.

I did a search....but with 321 hits....didn't feel like looking through them all.

Thanks for any replies.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Northern-Lights wrote:
OK folks....got a new Springfiled Armory XD 9 (4 inch) and need some advice. For concealed carry I'm fine.....but I'm looking for advice for an open carry holster. I'd like something comfortable....but that also has decent retention.

I did a search....but with 321 hits....didn't feel like looking through them all.

Thanks for any replies.

By general observation, many here at OCDO are choosing SERPA's for their XD's, Glocks, and 1911's.

http://www.blackhawk.com/

Northern-Lights

imported post

Appreciate the link...

Was hoping to find a holster with a retention system not just to keep the gun snug...but to prevent a gun grab also.

Something with a thumb break.....or maybe another suggestion?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Northern-Lights wrote:
Appreciate the link...

Was hoping to find a holster with a retention system not just to keep the gun snug...but to prevent a gun grab also.

Something with a thumb break.....or maybe another suggestion?

I have a Blade-Tech for my G21SF with Pic Rail and I am very satisfied with it. Though it utilizes thumbbreak retention, I can't imagine it being any better than the SERPA CQC's with Active Retention that many here are very fond of.

http://www.blade-tech.com/home.php

warlockmatized

imported post

The Serpa DOES have push button retention, in case you missed seeing it. VERY solid retention system. I would suggest stopping by Gander Mtn or your fave store and check one out in person.

Northern-Lights

imported post

Good advice....(stopping in at Gander or something). They are a long ways away up here in the U.P......only one is in Marquette. However, I do have a trip to Lansing planned coming up in a few weeks.

Any others people like?

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

+1 for the serpa. Unless the gun grabbber knows how it works (unlikely), there is no way they're getting it. Some people here have entertaining stories of police being confused and unable to disarm them.:lol:

And the paddle is very secure, if someone grabbed my gun I'd be going with them. Also very quick and safe draw with your finger indexed along the weapon.

Watch this:
Skip to 3:15 to see how the retention works.
[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/hKLtZDuXjNA[/flash]

Northern-Lights

imported post

Thanks a bunch for that. It was very informative and it looks like exactly what I had in mind.

Thanks everyone....it's been 15 years since I left the military and it looks like some terms and technology has changed. Appreciate your patience.....and your help.

Bronson

imported post

I hate to hijack your thread but I was just about to post the same thing, but for a different gun.

Any recommendations for a retention holster for a Browning Hi Power or Kahr CW40? I would prefer something like the Serpa retnetion systeminstead ofa thumb break. Unfortunately Blackhawk doesn't make a Serpa for either of them (but they make one for the Taurus Judge :banghead:)

Thanks,

Bronson

azebolsky

imported post

Personally, it all comes down to personal preference. This debate will come up time and again. Go to a store, play with as many holsters as you can get your hands on, and find what fits you best. Myself, I use a Galco hardside OWB for my Glock 23, a SERPA L3 for my Sig 226, and an Uncle Mike's sharkskin(because it looks tasty) pancake for my 1911.

What feels best, what functions best, and what MENTALLY is the best with you are the 3 biggest things to consider. How long are you going to wear it? Don't want something sharp poking your side? - consider leather/sharkskin?

*S*