• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glaser Saftey Slugs

scorpioajr

imported post

Have you heard of those GLASER Saftey Slugs?

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/glaser/glaser.htm

..lemme know whatcha think.

" BLUE: Glaser BLUE uses #12 shot compressed into a solid form. The Glaser BLUE produces immediate energy dispersal into the target, reducing the possibility of over penetration and creating abrupt stopping power. The numerous projectiles disperses outward generating an effective wound cavity.

SILVER: Glaser SILVER is made up of #6 shot. With the Silver load, you get much larger segments; deeper penetration and controlled energy release."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good for straight-on shots to the chest.

Little penetration if you hit an arm first, or the angle of incidence puts the bullet on a path where the vital organs are deeper than the penetration of the dispersed pellets.

Also, I've come across at least one report of a defense pelvic shot where an x-ray showed the pellets dispersed up against the pelvis. But they didn't break the pelvis; thus the bad guy didn't go down from that shot like he might have if a .40 or .45 had broken it.

I recommend studying up on the desired characteristics for defensive handgun ammo. You'll quickly come across explanations for each characteristic. Once you understand the importances yourself, you'll be able to evaluatefor yourself.

scorpioajr

imported post

Citizen wrote:
...understand the importances yourself, you'll be able to evaluatefor yourself.

ya. sorry - guess i was trying to take advantage of this forum and the experinces of others. I noticed this ammo is like $13.00 for 6 round pack. Was just trying ot get some inside info for now, rather than burning the money.

Thanks for the advice. i'll see what i can find..

scorpioajr

imported post

""It appears that they do not work as intended.

And they would work decently if your target was behind wall board.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Brassfetcher_evaluates_9mm_Glaser_Safety_Slug.pdf

Inadequate penetration in a less than standard viscosity block of ballistic gelatin.

About 7"

They are not worth the money."" - THX

Well that sucks. thanks for the info. im gonna read this PDF and see whats what.

scorpioajr

imported post

"the penetration of the tested round against a bare gelatin block is wholly
inadequate when viewed in light of the FBI minimum penetration depth" -Brass Fetcher Ballistic Gelatin Testing

Well: thats that.

scorpioajr

thx997303

imported post

Well, first that was a 9mm. The problem with the safety slugs, is that they are intended to not penetrate walls. And with the 9mm it penetrated walls easily.

Deformed it so it acted like a FMJ round.

Does not work as intended.

Therefore not worth my money.

Now as far as doing damage, yeah I would expect that a .44 mag would do lots of damage with a Glaser Safety slug.